Minister of Treasury - Dr Spend - waffle, spin, deflect

Mann O Mann

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Hasn’t Kennaugh had some issues with government for years over planning for camlork?

He does make some relevant points on MDC, the issue with steam packet boat etc has been covered before & is fairly clear.

At the end of the day Treasury are the sole shareholders of both companies & could if required tell Steam packet to pay dividends but probably result in very experienced board resignations 

IIRC, he won a big compo package from Govt after it reversed a decision to zone Camlork for development, it was a very long-running dispute but he emerged from it with the decision.

I'd suggest that that experience gave him the knowledge of how Govt works and being an experienced and successful businessman in the development/building side of things he's as entitled and knowledgeable as anybody else to take an interest in how Govt are managing the nation's affairs. It will be interesting to see if anybody from Govt reverts to his observations.

• Like 1

Mr Kennaugh has been around as a developer for a long time. Didn't he develop and own the Academy at Rushen Abbey?

He's also the owner of Camlork land  via a company called Baccarat. I'm pretty sure he lost his challenges to the rezoning both in Chancery and Appeal Courts. Think he then complained about his advocate and that was thrown out also.

Allinson is making all sorts of predictions on the NPM about inflation. So perhaps he is a clairvoyant and can see into the future? He is as much of an expert as Eddie Teare was a financial guru. I’m sure inflation will come down in time, but you can’t predict what’s around the corner, especially where Russia, Ukraine and China are concerned. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Yes, of course the main objective is to stop people smoking, Alex, what else could it possibly be?....nothing to do with the fact the Govt is skint via its own failings.

Note that there is no delay whatsoever in implementing this increase whilst other UK Budget "generosity" needs debate and examination before being applied here.

Screenshot_20231124-135149_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, of course the main objective is to stop people smoking, Alex, what else could it possibly be?....nothing to do with the fact the Govt is skint via its own failings.

Note that there is no delay whatsoever in implementing this increase whilst other UK Budget "generosity" needs debate and examination before being applied here.

As I’m sure has been 

pointed out before, taxes on cigarettes, alcohol, fuel are all part of common purse agreement & must immediately follow UK. none of the other measures eg NI changes apply here as we’ve got different rates 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

A few years ago there was a story in the local news how people on the island weren’t buying chocolate biscuits (of which VAT is payable, and of course the more biscuits people buy helps to calculate the islands VAT revenue share).

Either the Treasury and Allinson want smokers to both carry on, or to buy more tobacco products …………. which says a lot about their morals. Whatever the case, you would have thought that there was someone within the Treasury that could have come up with a better response than what was given. 

I see Beaker is going to go and shake the magic money tree in the N.I. fund because he needs an extra £14,000,000 for the pensions. This fund as far as I am led to believe is already earmarked to pay for pensions that are (being/will come  to be payed) due. No doubt he has no clue as how to replace the money, just as he has no clue on how to ballance a budget. To be fair Eddy Teare (the colossus of treasury)   started this trend of drawing down on reserves  and now a balanced budget is a thing of the past. And will the right incompetent twit Allinson just keep spending money we no longer have any way of replacing, due to the inability of the civil service to come up with any workable idea's apart from keeping there over inflated wages (and ego's)+ pensions rolling in.

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I see Beaker is going to go and shake the magic money tree in the N.I. fund because he needs an extra £14,000,000 for the pensions. This fund as far as I am led to believe is already earmarked to pay for pensions that are (being/will come  to be payed) due. No doubt he has no clue as how to replace the money, just as he has no clue on how to ballance a budget. To be fair Eddy Teare (the colossus of treasury)   started this trend of drawing down on reserves  and now a balanced budget is a thing of the past. And will the right incompetent twit Allinson just keep spending money we no longer have any way of replacing, due to the inability of the civil service to come up with any workable idea's apart from keeping there over inflated wages (and ego's)+ pensions rolling in.

I don’t think he said that , what I heard him saying was that he needs to ensure there’s enough money coming in from NI to support the 8.5% increases due next year so assume unlikely we will be reducing NI by 2% like UK. If anything we need to be increasing upper limit so higher earners pay more.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/treasury-needs-14m-from-ni-to-balance-pension-increase/

Edited by Banker

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I'd heard on a reliable grapevine that there is about 3 years left before a Birmingham City Council scenario develops. 

It's very concerning. 

Why did Birmingham have £1.5bn in investments before they went bust ? Absolute bollocks , obviously heard from another disgruntled ex cop!

• Sad 1