Minister of Treasury - Dr Spend - waffle, spin, deflect

Mann O Mann

11 hours ago, Banker said:

So you say ? Perhaps you could produce a plan to cut staff to save £100m pa , maybe give the list of jobs , salaries saved and how services would not be impacted?

But surely, it is not the responsibility of posters on social media to come up with plans which might rescue the IOMG’s finances and also the Island’s future. Nevertheless, I assume that residents who have offered their suggestions to this Government have been brushed off either because: a) ‘the Government knows best’ or b) ‘the Government has a list of officially endorsed experts’ and these people are not on those approved lists. BTW, the main NSC swimming pool recently developed cracks. At least two long cracks have appeared - one on the bottom  of the pool and another on one wall of the pool. For health and safety reasons two lanes have been partially roped off. If there are any engineers/ technicians/ builders with expertise in either concrete or swimming pools, I am sure the NSC Management would love to hear from you.

Most of us have or have had day-jobs where we are expected to perform in a way that is commensurate with our job titles and salaries. IOM Politicians’ jobs are to govern this country - it is their joint responsibility to come up with solutions to solve the Island’s problems. It is shameful that many of them are skirting their jobs by inadequately contributing to the future welfare of the Island. Although I am waiting with bated breath for Dr Allinson’s ‘Tax Strategy’ proposals, I am sceptical that his proposals will be much more than ‘ideas’ that require further discussion before decisions are made.  

I am delighted that Mr Speaker plucked up the courage to say that improvements were needed when the Government was creating documents like the Island Plan (https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/government-plans-a-proxy-for-achievement/). What he is indirectly saying is that the Island Plan is not actually much of a plan but a little more than a political wish list, and also crucially it does not identify how these ‘political wishes’ will be paid for.  Let’s hope that his ‘plea’ is not too little too late, and also that it is not just a ploy to get re-elected.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, asitis said:

They've certainly multiplied at an alarming rate, a rate the taxpayers are struggling to afford !

And as Ranson proved, they are multiplying like the pure vermin some of them are....

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It's been tried before when Alf Cannan was in Treasury.

https://www.gov.im/news/2017/nov/13/save-we-asked-you-said-our-response/

And again in 2019.

https://www.gov.im/news/2019/jul/04/save-progress-report-to-be-presented-to-tynwald/

‘The SAVE programme continues to focus on challenging the way government operates and much more hard work lies ahead to enable us to seize opportunities and achieve our aims.’

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, code99 said:

But surely, it is not the responsibility of posters on social media to come up with plans which might rescue the IOMG’s finances and also the Island’s future. Nevertheless, I assume that residents who have offered their suggestions to this Government have been brushed off either because: a) ‘the Government knows best’ or b) ‘the Government has a list of officially endorsed experts’ and these people are not on those approved lists. BTW, the main NSC swimming pool recently developed cracks. At least two long cracks have appeared - one on the bottom  of the pool and another on one wall of the pool. For health and safety reasons two lanes have been partially roped off. If there are any engineers/ technicians/ builders with expertise in either concrete or swimming pools, I am sure the NSC Management would love to hear from you.

Most of us have or have had day-jobs where we are expected to perform in a way that is commensurate with our job titles and salaries. IOM Politicians’ jobs are to govern this country - it is their joint responsibility to come up with solutions to solve the Island’s problems. It is shameful that many of them are skirting their jobs by inadequately contributing to the future welfare of the Island. Although I am waiting with bated breath for Dr Allinson’s ‘Tax Strategy’ proposals, I am sceptical that his proposals will be much more than ‘ideas’ that require further discussion before decisions are made.  

I am delighted that Mr Speaker plucked up the courage to say that improvements were needed when the Government was creating documents like the Island Plan (https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/government-plans-a-proxy-for-achievement/). What he is indirectly saying is that the Island Plan is not actually much of a plan but a little more than a political wish list, and also crucially it does not identify how these ‘political wishes’ will be paid for.  Let’s hope that his ‘plea’ is not too little too late, and also that it is not just a ploy to get re-elected.

Yes but it’s also no good someone saying I know how to save £100m pa by cutting civil servants jobs without any details, same as someone saying spend another £50 m in new school or spend extra £50m pa on health without considering where the funds will come from 

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Yes but it’s also no good someone saying I know how to save £100m pa by cutting civil servants jobs without any details, same as someone saying spend another £50 m in new school or spend extra £50m pa on health without considering where the funds will come from 

There has been another increase in the IOMG headcount. 

5 hours ago, Banker said:

From the wages that the sacked people would be getting payed. Would be quite quickly build up especially if senior management were let go. Before you say it people are sacked all the time in the private sector, let the AG dept earn its money by getting shut of these pesky rules/laws you keep going on about pay and pension rights. Never seemed to bother gov with sack rehire thinking of bus drivers and the way the boat crews are being treated, infact might inspire people to do a better job and look after our the publics interests or out on your ass. No hand shake no golden parachute. If you payed them double dole for three week to tide them over till the experience  they have allowed them to start a new job(would you like fry's with that) the savings would still be signifient

Edited by Dirty Buggane

12 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

From the wages that the sacked people would be getting payed. Would be quite quickly build up especially if senior management were let go. Before you say it people are sacked all the time in the private sector, let the AG dept earn its money by getting shut of these pesky rules/laws you keep going on about pay and pension rights. Never seemed to bother gov with sack rehire thinking of bus drivers and the way the boat crews are being treated, infact might inspire people to do a better job and look after our the publics interests or out on your ass. No hand shake no golden parachute. If you payed them double dole for three week to tide them over till the experience  they have allowed them to start a new job(would you like fry's with that) the savings would still be signifient

Doubt it would add up to £100m pa but you still don’t say which civil servants you would sack? You can’t just sack someone for no reason without paying redundancy and you can’t stop pension rights accrued over many years unless serious fraud can be proven. No government can just change laws on pension etc without massive consequences unless you’re a dictatorship like China 

18 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

And again in 2019.

https://www.gov.im/news/2019/jul/04/save-progress-report-to-be-presented-to-tynwald/

‘The SAVE programme continues to focus on challenging the way government operates and much more hard work lies ahead to enable us to seize opportunities and achieve our aims.’

Ah yes. The SAVE programme. Didn't stop them continuing to add new layers of bureaucracy all over the place. Manx Care, anyone?

They're like women in days gone by who were so ignorant that they couldn't work out what caused them to keep getting pregnant.

• Like 1