MER Cover Up

HelmutX

• 2 months later...

I saw  the tram pull up as a car crossed in front of the tram at harbour road crossing earlier today. The driver of the car just appeared to freeze on the track and seemed unsure what he should do.  The tram driver, an older, very experienced driver, managed to pull up.  Well done to him. Incidentally, the car was a rental car, so maybe driver was a tourist. I had to hold my breath as l was expecting a collision as l was travelling directly behind the car.   The tram driver had used his whistle, so it was not his fault.

9 hours ago, Lilly said:

I saw  the tram pull up as a car crossed in front of the tram at harbour road crossing earlier today. The driver of the car just appeared to freeze on the track and seemed unsure what he should do.  The tram driver, an older, very experienced driver, managed to pull up.  Well done to him. Incidentally, the car was a rental car, so maybe driver was a tourist. I had to hold my breath as l was expecting a collision as l was travelling directly behind the car.   The tram driver had used his whistle, so it was not his fault.

The problem with that junction is when you stop behind the stop line, it's hard to see very far down the road to the right. Therefore when you make a move in a situation you believe is safe to proceed, you can end up stuck on the track because of the speed people drive along King Edward Road towards Groudle. In which space of time a tram could then be approaching. It's OK when you know that but not so if you're not used to the junction. Surprised there's not more incidents there to be honest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

The problem with that junction is when you stop behind the stop line, it's hard to see very far down the road to the right. Therefore when you make a move in a situation you believe is safe to proceed, you can end up stuck on the track because of the speed people drive along King Edward Road towards Groudle. In which space of time a tram could then be approaching. It's OK when you know that but not so if you're not used to the junction. Surprised there's not more incidents there to be honest. 

Yes, a good point, thank you.  😊 

I was driving a tram along the downhill stretch by King Edward Road, coming up to what used to be Poker Stars or whatever.

There is plenty of clear view for all parties concerned. In front of me, a black Lamborghini pulled out of the car park and stopped on the tram line.

Perhaps a small smile of anticipation crossed my face. But it was not to be. The car reversed back into the car park before the tram and car could consummate their relationship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

There are several places where a car, let alone a truck, cannot make a safe entry onto a road without first stopping on the tracks. Life has changed substantially since the tracks were laid.

The sensible thing to do is to stop on the stop-line and listen for a whistle (a risk - not only are some people a bit deaf, but on some of the trams the whistle is so weak you can barely hear it in the cab. Standards - what standards). Then pull onto the crossing and hope that any arriving tram is going at a reasonable speed.

All the crossings now have speed limit signs for the trams. No doubt some of you are impressed, but this is just another indication that the managers think this is a toy train set, where lots of signs 'n' stuff is good.

When going uphill any tram, heavy or light, rain or dry, will stop pretty quick. Downhill things take quite a while to stop. In the wet, with a full-loaded heavy trailer, you have to wait for the next uphill section.

Safety is dependent on not just the experience of the driver (when I was there the turnover was high) but on the mentality of the driver. For example, Longworth does not give a rodent's ass about other people - he has the right of way.

Anyway, the speed limit signs are just more junk. You paid.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Yes, just like all those 'Limited Clearance' signs (or whatever they say), that were put up in case the stone wall or hedge, that has been there for 100 years, had moved since you last went past, two hours ago. 

21 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

There are several places where a car, let alone a truck, cannot make a safe entry onto a road without first stopping on the tracks. Life has changed substantially since the tracks were laid.

The sensible thing to do is to stop on the stop-line and listen for a whistle (a risk - not only are some people a bit deaf, but on some of the trams the whistle is so weak you can barely hear it in the cab. Standards - what standards). Then pull onto the crossing and hope that any arriving tram is going at a reasonable speed.

All the crossings now have speed limit signs for the trams. No doubt some of you are impressed, but this is just another indication that the managers think this is a toy train set, where lots of signs 'n' stuff is good.

When going uphill any tram, heavy or light, rain or dry, will stop pretty quick. Downhill things take quite a while to stop. In the wet, with a full-loaded heavy trailer, you have to wait for the next uphill section.

Safety is dependent on not just the experience of the driver (when I was there the turnover was high) but on the mentality of the driver. For example, Longworth does not give a rodent's ass about other people - he has the right of way.

why not just put warning lights for cars like the major road crossings at baldrine and lonan ?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Yes, just like all those 'Limited Clearance' signs (or whatever they say), that were put up in case the stone wall or hedge, that has been there for 100 years, had moved since you last went past, two hours ago. 

That kind of sarcasm, cynicism, and realism might be acceptable on ManxForums but would get you nowhere as a gov. manager.

"Limited Clearance"? - well, what you going to do about it?

One of the poles on the bridge on Groudle Road has red paint marks. Some of the southbound trams, depending on tram or trailer, lean over so much that they clip the pole. Maybe you could write to the DoI that they need a new sign "Minus 2-inch Clearance".

But they would want it in metric.

But it's nice to see that other people have an eye for this kind of thing.

11 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

One of the poles on the bridge on Groudle Road has red paint marks. Some of the southbound trams, depending on tram or trailer, lean over so much that they clip the pole.

No need for a sign, just move the pole.

🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

same with the blue  drain covers   concrete sleepers  banked track   silly signs everywhere ,    traffic lights    etc  the railways have completely  lost their unique identity   and all  resemblance of a heritage railway system