Report on Isle of Man Prison

Moghrey Mie

4 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Apparently the Prison has been screaming out for an extension to be built for a few years now, but no Govt funds allocated, hence the portacabin Plan B.

It's all a bit stupid by the looks of it. Everyone I know or have met who works at the prison can't wait to get out of the place these days.

if its good enough for the school children to have to use mobiles then its good enough for the Cons  its too much like a Hilton hotel   with all inclusive , except room telephone 's are really part of the internal system, to pardon a pun 

why not try  weekend prison  using the Scandinavian model  make them work during the week to support their families and bang them up for the weekend  with no benifit payments  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Apparently the Prison has been screaming out for an extension to be built for a few years now, but no Govt funds allocated, hence the portacabin Plan B.

Remarkable considering that it was built as an all singing, all dancing replacement for an over-crowded, outdated, non-compliant Victoria Rd, commencing less than 20 years ago (2006).

Have we really had that much of an increase in jaileable scrotes in that time?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Remarkable considering that it was built as an all singing, all dancing replacement for an over-crowded, outdated, non-compliant Victoria Rd, commencing less than 20 years ago (2006).

there were lots of folks that were found with  a gramme of weed.

16 minutes ago, finlo said:

Should never have been built there depriving the island of a fog free airport.

Naturally in defiance of planning experts who said it should have been built in Braddan. But, oh the promises of what it was going to bring to Jurby, including the legal/lawyer's offices that would be relocated there to serve the inmates.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Well didn't I read the population was 90 only 12 months ago? Now it's circa 140 and full.

Doesn't seem like a big capacity, really.

30 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Naturally in defiance of planning experts who said it should have been built in Braddan. But, oh the promises of what it was going to bring to Jurby, including the legal/lawyer's offices that would be relocated there to serve the inmates.

There's a thought. We could put them up in the Roundhouse?

Gov can repurpose it from the commissioners. New prison.

• Thanks 1

They had a perfectly serviceable facility at Victoria Road, the modern unit built in the '90s to accommodate women prisoners. They could've kept it but were in such a hurry to knock it down and sell the land for development like many other sites. They demolished a nearly new building and now there's nothing on the site. It's the Manx way. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Everyone I know or have met who works at the prison can't wait to get out of the place these days.

I know a few people who work(ed) at the prison (just socially not as a result of staying there..), 2 (very experienced) have left, the others are looking to leave asap.

• Like 1

Go into Isle of Man prison an arsehole, come out of Isle of Man prison a celebrity arsehole. Strut down Strand Street with your dog and have your photo taken with your big belly.

Who sanctioned the filming of that TV 'documentary'? They can all blame Bill now because he has died, but there would have been likes of Dan too and the prison Governor.

Why the f was that allowed, It just made the Isle of Man look utter shite and unprofessional. Mind, I did see my house on a shot or two, so not all bad.

6 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The possibilities for expansion seem to be limited:

Screenshot_2024-05-29_08-41-11.png.c2b94d251eeaa9e2359b3a31d072478c.png

Are you being sarcastic?  It's difficult to tell.

But to me there looks like lots of room for expansion.  Two of the limbs could easily be extended.  The others might eat into the race track, football pitch or veggi patch (although there looks like there might be rows of bodies there). 

Alternatively could they not repurpose the Spa facilities? 

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Are you being sarcastic?  It's difficult to tell.

But to me there looks like lots of room for expansion.  Two of the limbs could easily be extended.  The others might eat into the race track, football pitch or veggi patch (although there looks like there might be rows of bodies there). 

Alternatively could they not repurpose the Spa facilities? 

That's a very old photograph, possibly taken around completion of the prison. The old racetrack which is actually the old airfield perimeter road has virtually disappeared under grass and vegetation now.