The Information Commissioner resigns

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

That’s easy to say unless you really understand the workings of the department.  I don’t, or have a grasp of their workloads but assume you do?

I know that the headcount has increased exponentially in recent decades and is unaffordable. That's the indisputable starting point, so we need to start cutting our cloth and deciding what is necessary and what is nice to have, or perhaps unnecessary and not even nice to have. I've seen some of the management tree diagrams that look like Epping Forest and are ripe for some pruning.

I appreciate we will all have different opinions as to what is necessary, but that's where our wise and august politicians come in to make the hard decisions.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, 360 View said:

Seems to be responsible for a lot of different things and a small office, just 5 including the Commissioner  https://www.inforights.im/organisations/about-us/

If we need more than 5 there is something wrong surely, it is not like they are answering all the FOIs/SARs. 

Also don't forget each Department/Board/Local Authority will have 1-3 information officers (or whatever they are titled) and various admin officers that end up doing these tasks at least part time. And senior management time for signing off, mandatory training for all staff etc. It is really the most efficient way to increase your bureaucratic workload across the board 

Perhaps in these sort of areas you could justify shared services with Jersey/Guernsey/similar. I don't think you can justify 5+ in their own silo on Island

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

If we need more than 5 there is something wrong surely, it is not like they are answering all the FOIs/SARs. 

Also don't forget each Department/Board/Local Authority will have 1-3 information officers (or whatever they are titled) and various admin officers that end up doing these tasks at least part time. And senior management time for signing off, mandatory training for all staff etc. It is really the most efficient way to increase your bureaucratic workload across the board 

Perhaps in these sort of areas you could justify shared services with Jersey/Guernsey/similar. I don't think you can justify 5+ in their own silo on Island

This is the sort of thinking we should be exploring. Finding out what individuals are actually doing, rather having a defensive "which services do you think government should stop providing" attitude. Perhaps if we start doing things more efficiently we don't need to lose anything of importance.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Mercenary, you have this wrong - the Commissioner is nothing to do with government or answering FOIs/SARs  - it is an independent regulator of the private and public sector and complaint handler that is needed to comply with an international convention. Jersey/guernsey etc all have their own similar body for the same reason.  

• Like 3

Of immediate concern to the politicians should be the functions of the Information Commissioner’s Office. If IOM cannot demonstrate the effective regulation and enforcement of the processing of personal data it could have serious consequences for business, particularly finance, when it needs to share personal data with businesses in GDPR compliant jurisdictions. I hope our GDPR expert in the HoK is wise to the situation and doesn’t  let this slide like other issues.

12 minutes ago, 360 View said:

Mercenary, you have this wrong - the Commissioner is nothing to do with government or answering FOIs/SARs  - it is an independent regulator of the private and public sector and complaint handler that is needed to comply with an international convention. Jersey/guernsey etc all have their own similar body for the same reason.  

I don't think he does have it wrong. That's pretty much what he said, and if the independent regulator (albeit funded by governments) was organised to operate across all of the Crown Dependencies perhaps that would make the body even more independent.

4 hours ago, Mercenary said:

Oh boo hoo a bureaucratic arm of government isn't allowed to endlessly enlarge itself and suck up resources (never mind that most of their work will be 'mirrored' and require additional posts on whatever Departments/Boards they are extensively dealing with).

Seems like Groundhog Day Frank. It must be awkward having these people looking at how gaming companies hold peoples data. For the rest of the finance sector having this regulator in place is a main requirement of having a credible location in which to base client data. Odd my last comment in a similar vein Frank was totally deleted by someone. 

Edited by The Port Soderick Herald