MUA water meters

Banker

But this would adversely affect tax-payer funded golf courses for all the skiving teachers who would see their greens fees rise horrendously...

• Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But this would adversely affect tax-payer funded golf courses for all the skiving teachers who would see their greens fees rise horrendously...

There’s a number of commercial water meters already in but doesn’t say where, hopefully at Pulrose!!

The report is complete bullshit! The problem is that the water treatment plant is not fit for purpose, so reducing the amount used will help supply the imaginary 20,000 people whom are relocating here. After every TT there is a problem, and this sort of response comes out. 

I speculate, the cost of installing, maintaining, administering, billing, debt chasing, etc. which will basically require a whole new department, would cost far more, in the long term, than increasing the capacity of the plant. Capacity increase will have to happen anyway. Perhaps meters are some cockeyed thinking of some way of paying for it. 

Alternative thought, why nit just impose a hosepipe ban from TT to MPG. Costs nothing and would do the trick.

I wondrt how much that rubbish report cost to produce! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The report is complete bullshit! The problem is that the water treatment plant is not fit for purpose, so reducing the amount used will help supply the imaginary 20,000 people whom are relocating here. After every TT there is a problem, and this sort of response comes out. 

I speculate, the cost of installing, maintaining, administering, billing, debt chasing, etc. which will basically require a whole new department, would cost far more, in the long term, than increasing the capacity of the plant. Capacity increase will have to happen anyway. Perhaps meters are some cockeyed thinking of some way of paying for it. 

Alternative thought, why nit just impose a hosepipe ban from TT to MPG. Costs nothing and would do the trick.

I wondrt how much that rubbish report cost to produce! 

Or better still, just repair the current water infrastructure to prevent massive waste

• Like 4

The report states that IoM residents use twice as much water per person as Jersey residents.

Perhaps each of the authors of the report, and each MHK, could state in which way they are using twice as much water as Jerseyites.

No doubt they will state that it isn't them - others are responsible. So we then get around to the fact that some IoM people are using 3 times as much water as Jersey people.

I am not sure that even if I don't flush the toilet more than once a week I could make savings that would save the planet. My plan is to go from a cappuccino down to an espresso. That's as far as I will go.

It is a nice photo of Peel beach, though.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The Water Plant is relatively new, the costs of it form what was the legal part of the MUA debt.

This sounds like a Treasury-proposed revenue gathering exercise, as imposed on other Govt Depts.

• Thanks 1

I'm afraid it's probably my fault. I'm on a lead supply pipe, so I always run the tap down the sink for a while before filling the kettle to try and reduce my lead consumption.

I'm probably not the only house like that.

Maybe rather than fit water meters it would be cheaper for them to reduce consumption by installing plastic supply pipes up to the stop tap?

28 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The report states that IoM residents use twice as much water per person as Jersey residents.

Perhaps each of the authors of the report, and each MHK, could state in which way they are using twice as much water as Jerseyites.

No doubt they will state that it isn't them - others are responsible. So we then get around to the fact that some IoM people are using 3 times as much water as Jersey people.

I am not sure that even if I don't flush the toilet more than once a week I could make savings that would save the planet. My plan is to go from a cappuccino down to an espresso. That's as far as I will go.

It is a nice photo of Peel beach, though.

Jersey has hosepipe time limitations in the summer, and bans if it becomes serious. They actually have many more residents and less reservoirs. There is not a problem here. Just opportunistic wannabes! 

• Like 1

How opinions change with time some years ago when Alf Cannon was in charge of the water board he was asked on talking heads, as it was then, about installing water meters and he replied very dismissively that it was out of the question as the meters would cost far too much to install.    I remember this because I asked the question.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Keyop said:

Maybe rather than fit water meters it would be cheaper for them to reduce consumption by installing plastic supply pipes up to the stop tap?

It depends where your stop tap is. They usually only do it to the border of your property leaving you to sort all the groundwork out to your indoor stop tap. 

• Like 1