MUA water meters

Banker

20 minutes ago, ADELE said:

How opinions change with time some years ago when Alf Cannon was in charge of the water board he was asked on talking heads, as it was then, about installing water meters and he replied very dismissively that it was out of the question as the meters would cost far too much to install.    I remember this because I asked the question.

If I remember correctly, he actually said that 80% of the cost of water was the cost of the infrastructure supplying it to the property. Not the cost of the water and processingit. 

1 hour ago, Keyop said:

I'm afraid it's probably my fault. I'm on a lead supply pipe, so I always run the tap down the sink for a while before filling the kettle to try and reduce my lead consumption.

I'm probably not the only house like that.

Maybe rather than fit water meters it would be cheaper for them to reduce consumption by installing plastic supply pipes up to the stop tap?

Just what is the science on the potential poisoning from drinking water supplied by lead pipes and comparatively, plastic pipes. I cannot imagine it’s believable.

There’s also mercury in fillings to consider and apparently, after kimchi has been well touted to westerners, Asian pickled vegetables are shortly going to be announced as ‘probably’ carcinogenic. Fortunately, death doesn’t worry me as a born again.

19 minutes ago, Cambon said:

If I remember correctly, he actually said that 80% of the cost of water was the cost of the infrastructure supplying it to the property. Not the cost of the water and processingit. 

So in typical MU style, they are going to increase cost of the infrastructure to Enable them to charge more 

• Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

So in typical MU style, they are going to increase cost of the infrastructure to Enable them to charge more 

Revenue harvesting. The squeeze continues, to fund growth.

Of the Government.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, woolley said:

They need to be told where to get off. I'd bet that a lot of this supposed excessive consumption on the Island is being lost through their own infrastructure, but they have no idea how or where.

It's a Govt operation though, not a privatised company subject to whatever regulation as per UK. As such they won't be told to get off, it will be voted through and imposed, in the same way as the smart electricity meters were/are, for better or worse.

It's almost certainly about revenue in the long picture and will be a precursor to charging customers by volume used.

10 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

They usually only do it to the border of your property leaving you to sort all the groundwork out to your indoor stop tap. 

Which is why I still have lead pipes. 🤣

10 hours ago, Cambon said:

Yes, that's correct. Water itself is cheap. Maintaining hundreds and even thousands of Kms of pipes is not. You still need all the pipes I guess even if people used less water. 

59 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes, that's correct. Water itself is cheap. Maintaining hundreds and even thousands of Kms of pipes is not. You still need all the pipes I guess even if people used less water. 

water is cheap ??  it's fucking free, it falls from the sky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe if they started by mandating grey water harvesting on all new builds (domestic and commercial) with grants and recycling the waste water from IRIS for irrigation. You only have to look at RTC scrubbing pavements and watering hanging baskets with fresh drinkable water to realise there are plenty of ways to save/re-use water before resorting to an expensive experiment of metering.

I wonder if they'll buy flouride-proof meters?

9 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Maybe if they started by mandating grey water harvesting on all new builds (domestic and commercial) with grants and recycling the waste water from IRIS for irrigation. You only have to look at RTC scrubbing pavements and watering hanging baskets with fresh drinkable water to realise there are plenty of ways to save/re-use water before resorting to an expensive experiment of metering.

I wonder if they'll buy flouride-proof meters?

Maybe but water meters are common in most European countries & mandatory . Why should a single household pay the same as a household of 6/7 with 4 cars & large garden 

• Like 3