MUA water meters

Banker

9 hours ago, Banker said:

Maybe but water meters are common in most European countries & mandatory . Why should a single household pay the same as a household of 6/7 with 4 cars & large garden 

This …it winds me up every year when my rates bill comes through and they ask me for £274 for water rates and £250 for sewerage .There’s just me in a two bedroom flat and because of a general awareness of waste and gas and electric costs I don’t use much water. Re shower and bath .They’re ripping me off on sewerage charges too. Yet an identical flat as mine in same block has 2 adults and two kids paying the same. It’s just so wrong and before you say take someone in that’s just not feasible or practicable not least as am pushing 70 . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 5

The trouble is it would turn into a money making excercise for our dear government there would no doubt be a standing charge for meters before the water useage was even taken into account.    When I asked our CM years ago on Talking Heads about meters his curt reply was it would be too expensive to implement.    That was all no other details if anyone else’s recollection is different it was not the on the occasion when I posed the question, quite possibly someone else asked him the same question on a different occasion.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ADELE said:

The trouble is it would turn into a money making excercise for our dear government there would no doubt be a standing charge for meters before the water useage was even taken into account.    When I asked our CM years ago on Talking Heads about meters his curt reply was it would be too expensive to implement.    That was all no other details if anyone else’s recollection is different it was not the on the occasion when I posed the question, quite possibly someone else asked him the same question on a different occasion.

I put it to Chris Thomas before Covid and he was in agreement that single use or varying households usage needed looked at and put it to Treasury and impression he got was it was to difficult for them to work how it could be done. A would have said a rebate for single use would work fine ! 

53 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I put it to Chris Thomas before Covid and he was in agreement that single use or varying households usage needed looked at and put it to Treasury and impression he got was it was to difficult for them to work how it could be done. A would have said a rebate for single use would work fine ! 

i guess he is a man of his word then, all he and the other wasters ever do is 'look at' stuff

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Banker said:

Maybe but water meters are common in most European countries & mandatory . Why should a single household pay the same as a household of 6/7 with 4 cars & large garden 

Just saying the stated aim of conserving water can also be achieved with other complementary approaches too, much like gas and electric consumption can be lowered by better use of insulation and more efficent appliances. 

At the moment how much rainwater and runoff is mixed with sewage to be pumped miles to be processed when it could be utilised for anything from gardens, car washes to flushing toilets without expensive water treatment and at least one use before ending up in the sewer system.

Especially if it would also help attenuate to a degree flash floods and droughts. In most southern European countries conservation necessarily goes along with conservation.

Sadly Government only seem to play one tune which is usually the grandiose, underfunded projects that are always delivered late and over budget. After all we are still shitting in the sea after getting on two decades now since the inception of the IRIS scheme.

Curious to know how they plan to handle the vulnerable and unfortunate before we end up with a water bank alongside the food bank. Presumably there has to be a minimum amount of water free at point of use in order to maintain a dwelling as habitable?

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

This …it winds me up every year when my rates bill comes through and they ask me for £274 for water rates and £250 for sewerage .There’s just me in a two bedroom flat and because of a general awareness of waste and gas and electric costs I don’t use much water. Re shower and bath .They’re ripping me off on sewerage charges too. Yet an identical flat as mine in same block has 2 adults and two kids paying the same. It’s just so wrong and before you say take someone in that’s just not feasible or practicable not least as am pushing 70 . 

Exactly correct, we have meters for gas, electricity, you get charged for phone usage etc, why shouldn’t water be on some basis 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Exactly correct, we have meters for gas, electricity, you get charged for phone usage etc, why shouldn’t water be on some basis 

Because we live on a sparsely populated island where it hardly ever stops pissing down. How's that? Metering should be for places where water needs to be conserved. In the Isle of Man the very idea is a sick joke. What next? A meter on your nose so they can bill you for the air you breathe? On your genitals so you can pay them every time you have sex?

Another case of the devil making work to pay for idle hands.  They still need telling where to get off.

• Like 6

On 7/4/2023 at 6:36 PM, Numbnuts said:

What he meant was, it was difficult for them to work out how it could be done without reducing revenue take.

• Like 1

Domestic consumption is tiny here. The big commercial users are already metered and the MUA will know from its bulk metering that by far the greater proportion of loss is leaks into the ground. For example Ballure has broken in two and was supposed to be decommissioned 10 years ago. That alone is like trying to fill a sieve on a daily basis 🙃

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Domestic consumption is tiny here. The big commercial users are already metered and the MUA will know from its bulk metering that by far the greater proportion of loss is leaks into the ground. For example Ballure has broken in two and was supposed to be decommissioned 10 years ago. That alone is like trying to fill a sieve on a daily basis 🙃

Not sure where you get your dodgy information. Ballure was brim full when I was there last week. Broken to two? What are you on about? It doesn't even supply any water anyway.

Wrt water meters, maybe IOM is the only place in the world without any

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_metering

Did you even read the report?

I have read it now. It says to me that water meters will be 'considered' if we keep getting long dry summers. Seems sensible to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

says to me that water meters will be 'considered' if we keep getting long dry summers. Seems sensible to me.

Don't you think it would be eminently more sensible for water services to repair their infrastructure rather than relying on the costumer to pay for their poor practices and bad management?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Don't you think it would be eminently more sensible for water services to repair their infrastructure rather than relying on the costumer to pay for their poor practices and bad management?

It might sound sensible. But the isle of man is just like pretty much everywhere else in the world. The pipes are buried under the roads and there are lots of them. Where would the money come from? Do we have pot of gold that no one else has,no? 

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/about-us/performance/leakage-performance

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Not sure where you get your dodgy information. Ballure was brim full when I was there last week. Broken to two? What are you on about? It doesn't even supply any water anyway.

Wrt water meters, maybe IOM is the only place in the world without any

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_metering

Did you even read the report?

I have read it now. It says to me that water meters will be 'considered' if we keep getting long dry summers. Seems sensible to me.

Service Reservoir! 

I know a lot more than you think I know 🥰

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

49 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It might sound sensible. But the isle of man is just like pretty much everywhere else in the world. The pipes are buried under the roads and there are lots of them. Where would the money come from? Do we have pot of gold that no one else has,no? 

It is true that in the end, the consumer will pay. But the pipes under the road will continue to degrade, and leak even more, until there is so much water being leaked that the consumers will not be allowed to make a cup of coffee.

The infrastructure must be maintained. Money spent on installing water meters (which are themselves part of the infrastructure and therefore have a cost to maintain) would be better on stopping the leaks. In my opinion.

• Like 3