MUA water meters

Banker

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's a fair point too. Just having a pool doesn't mean you use a lot of water and yes some people use water for purposes over which they have no control. The principle is good though, will need thinking about. The big offenders are those that leave sprinklers running all night or have leaks on their own pipes or even ponds that leak. Basically those that don't give a £_&- because it's free. 

We irrigate 20 minutes at 06.00 and 10 at 23.00.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think you are mixing electricity with water. 

You are right though about the fixed cost element. This is dealt with via the standing charge. Water metering has to be about disincentivising wastage 

The stated purpose of water meters is to reduce usage. Call it “wastage” if you prefer, but we know we mean usage. Wastage is what the MUA lose by not maintaining the mains.

Water meters are revenue raising under the guise of people “choosing” to use more water. Of course most people using more water are those with big families or with disabilities- people who wash a lot of clothes and need a lot of showers.

Smart meters are for electricity and gas, and the same price-gouging pretending to be “environmentally friendly choice” is the same.

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

The stated purpose of water meters is to reduce usage. Call it “wastage” if you prefer, but we know we mean usage. Wastage is what the MUA lose by not maintaining the mains.

Water meters are revenue raising under the guise of people “choosing” to use more water. Of course most people using more water are those with big families or with disabilities- people who wash a lot of clothes and need a lot of showers.

Smart meters are for electricity and gas, and the same price-gouging pretending to be “environmentally friendly choice” is the same.

How do you 'maintain' a water pipe that's 1m under the road? What do you even mean by maintain?

41 minutes ago, John Wright said:

My bigger worry would be the damage escaping water would do to foundations, patio, pipe run to filter/pump/heat exchanger

A valid reason for worry. Leaking or ingress water over time in any form causes voids and then long dry spells make the problem so much worse. As said above though what’s going on underground can’t be seen till it manifests itself in cracked paths or flooring and the likes.  

49 minutes ago, John Wright said:

My bigger worry would be the damage escaping water would do to foundations, patio, pipe run to filter/pump/heat exchanger

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

A valid reason for worry. Leaking or ingress water over time in any form causes voids and then long dry spells make the problem so much worse. As said above though what’s going on underground can’t be seen till it manifests itself in cracked paths or flooring and the likes.  

Ok. Good points but we have drifted off track a little. (You could argue though that a smart meter would give you advance warning of a problem). 

What about another scenario. Mate of mine has a fairly big pond. The liner is aging and it leaks. He runs a hosepipe into it to keep it topped up. Got so bad now that the hosepipe runs all the time. Does he pay for his water? No. Would he fix it if he did? Yes. 

End of lesson . 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Or falling water level in pool. Dead giveaway.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

True enough.😀 I thought some topped up automatically though.

Auto top up off for exactly that reason. There’s an agricultural cisterna, in which i keep koi/gold fish. That tops up daily with a float valve and provides the head of water to water the veg plot and orchard without a pump or a drop in water pressure.

Personally, I think every individual should get a basic amount for free (basic living amount), then there should be a linear chart as to the more used the more you get charged...

...so large families and individuals don't get overly penalised.

Farmers should get a subsidised amount (formula), gardeners and swimming pool owners should pay for the privilege.

Waste water needs to be accounted for, this should be part of the management's salary/bonus scheme.