MUA water meters

Banker

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Three tiny reservoirs that are not worth bothering connecting? 

Water reserves has little to do with the size of the reservoir. It is about their positioning and the size of the catchment areas that feed them. Cringle’s catchment area is enormous. 

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Water reserves has little to do with the size of the reservoir. It is about their positioning and the size of the catchment areas that feed them. Cringle’s catchment area is enormous. 

And how would the 'enormous' amount of water at cringle get to the water treatment plant?

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

https://www.iomguide.com/reservoirs/cringle-reservoir.php

154 hectares is not enormous either ..it's tiny. Tiny catchment serving a tiny reservoir that's not even connected to a water processing plant. 

22 minutes ago, Cambon said:

One hectare is 100 metres x 100 metres. Roughly the size of a rugby field. 154 hectares is not tiny.

A few years ago I realised how much rain water falls on a small area. My mother lived in Gloucester and was caught up in The Great Flood of 2007 - no running water. I went there to help her. It was raining heavily. I put a bucket outside. After a while, I checked and found a trifling amount of water in the bucket. So I disconnected a gutter downpipe (she lived in a small semi-detached bungalow) and pointed that into the bucket. The bucket filled within seconds.

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

One hectare is 100 metres x 100 metres. Roughly the size of a rugby field. 154 hectares is not tiny.

So a 150 rugby fields? Sorry mate. Tiny. 

Sulby itself is bigger and has a catchment of 4000 hectares. That's a proper reservoir and catchment. 

Edited by Happier diner

40 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So a 150 rugby fields? Sorry mate. Tiny. 

Sulby itself is bigger and has a catchment of 4000 hectares. That's a proper reservoir and catchment. 

Exactly! So no problem then. We are never going to have a shortage. Ever!
No need to waste money on meters and unnecessary administration! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

16,200 hectares in actual fact.  Though geology and rainfall patterns will affect how effective a catchment area is.  Cringle and Block Eary were WWII constructions and you wonder how well built they were given shortages.

• 4 months later...