We bought a boat but can't see what we paid for

HelmutX

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The possibility of the SpCo defaulting is accepted, I think. 

That bond money is being repaid interest only currently by us out of general revenue. The SPC could very clearly default. Or indeed anything could happen in the next 20 to 30 years. And it’s the coupon issuer (Treasury) who is responsible for the repayment of the primary debt. Not the SPC.

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

That bond money is being repaid interest only currently by us out of general revenue. The SPC could very clearly default. Or indeed anything could happen in the next 20 to 30 years. And it’s the coupon issuer (Treasury) who is responsible for the repayment of the primary debt. Not the SPC.

Yes, we get that, but SPC will have to meet the terms of its loan from IOMG. 

Is what you are saying that the SPC have been given a soft, no interest, no repayment loan? 

Just now, Gladys said:

Yes, we get that, but SPC will have to meet the terms of its loan from IOMG. 

But essentially it doesn’t matter. It they default we’ll be covering it regardless as it’s us (Treasury) which has the primary debt obligation to the note holders. And it’s Treasury that will need to meet all obligations due under the primary borrowing. 

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

But essentially it doesn’t matter. It they default we’ll be covering it regardless as it’s us (Treasury) which has the primary debt obligation to the note holders. And it’s Treasury that will need to meet all obligations due under the primary borrowing. 

IF they default. There is a business with assets there, it is not as though the bond has been used to give everyone, say,  a free trip on the MER.  Then there would be no assets, no commercial operation which would be capable of repaying the loan. 

Just don't get your point. 

• Like 2

Truth is, if you buy a ticket on the boat, part, a very small part, of the price will be for repayment of the loan, if you're a tax payer,ypu are paying off the loan. Of course you could always boycott the SP and fly, that's a safe alternative???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Truth is, if you buy a ticket on the boat, part, a very small part, of the price will be for repayment of the loan, if you're a tax payer,ypu are paying off the loan. Of course you could always boycott the SP and fly, that's a safe alternative???

Safer than taking a taxi, for sure

• Haha 1

This whole loan to loan thing is pretty common in the finance world especially with short-term mezzanine finance.  It used to be very common up till about 10/5 years ago before the base rates came down so low that banks were falling over themselves to lend money and get some sort of return.  I’ve seen it starting to become popular again now that interest rates are higher and maybe going somewhere other than a bank for your financing is looking more attractive.  

It’s not like the IOM Govt and SPC are doing anything that crazy, groundbreaking or inappropriate. 
If I have access to liquid funds at a particularly low rate, I may then lend those funds onto someone else at a higher rate and cream off the difference as earnings/income. 

Where do you think (non bank) finance companies get the money that they lend out? 
Govt lending the funds to SPC would appear to be a reasonable commercial decision, assuming they are charging a higher % than they would receive if funds just sat in the bank. 

Adding to the above, what are people's thoughts on the Govt Reserves that are invested in the stock markets and ultimately used to fund pensions etc?

Surely this is also 'taxpayers money' that is invested into companies, we don't demand that we go and have a snoop around Facebook HQ because we happen to own their shares. 

I'm also thinking specifically countries like Norway and its Norfund - the worlds biggest Sovereign wealth fund, that is ultimately used for its pension and welfare requirements.  It's initially funded by oil & gas royalties, but then invests these funds into numerous global projects, often in developing countries and ethical or green investments.  Not so different from what we have done with SPC. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

It’s not like the IOM Govt and SPC are doing anything that crazy, groundbreaking or inappropriate. 

I don’t think anyone claimed that anything inappropriate was going on. Just that the investment into the ship was funded by taxpayer money. In this case a bond raising on the stock market backed by IOM Governments credit rating and to be repaid from general tax revenue for the next 25-30 years. 

On 7/11/2023 at 9:26 PM, Gladys said:

it is not as though the bond has been used to give everyone, say,  a free trip on the MER.  

I'd have gone for that plan before the Liverpool ferry terminal jape any day.

If the Steamy defaults we'll all starve, so you're all worrying about the wrong thing. It could have been worse, by the way. They could have given the Manxman contract to that shipbuilder in Scotland where Calmac went for theirs. The only niggle I have is if she turns out less than perfect for the job, it's a bloody long way to take her back for a refund.

21 minutes ago, woolley said:

The only niggle I have is if she turns out less than perfect for the job, it's a bloody long way to take her back for a refund.

Don't worry, there's no danger of a refund. 

That boy Ashford tripped up the gangplank and accidentally shredded all the paperwork.. receipts, owners manual, service history - the lot! 

• Haha 1