We bought a boat but can't see what we paid for

HelmutX

4 hours ago, Banker said:

What did anyone expect from SNP !!

It is a problem that ante dates the SNP.

The CalMac fleet is large. Some vessels are 40 years old. Expected life is 25 years.

Lead time, in normal circumstances, for decision to order, design, tender and build is probably 3-5 years even in the best of circumstances.

That places responsibility back before the SNP formed its first Scottish Executive. No succession planning.

Apart from the Glen Sannox/hull 802 debacle, 5 years late on delivery and 4 x overprice, so far, they have got their act together with a comprehensive replacement plan over the next 5 years worth over £485 million.

There are 4 smaller ferries, sister ships, on order from Turkey. Due 2024 end 2026. They’ll carry 450 passengers and 100 cars/14 containers mix. 

I think they’d be an ideal replacement for the SeaCat. They’ll be a tried and tested design, not quite off the peg, and a couple could give all year round usage, and better service to Belfast & Dublin,  plus an all year round Liverpool service. Maybe Scotland as well.

IMG_4835.jpeg

I personally think the decor is awful.

Cream and brown settees mixed with granny chairs and white loungers, strange lighting and carpets that can only assist those who unfortunately suffer from mal-de-mer...

Mind you, if the bar stools are of the revolving type they should provide excellent entertainment in a heavy sea!

Money can't buy good taste I suppose...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

Passengers' cars in advance?

(The old steam ships used to have spaces for xxx head of cattle or xx passengers.)

Takes me back to sheep pens on open deck in winter and calves hobbled and sewn into sacks in corridors.

On 7/11/2023 at 8:53 PM, Gladys said:

the SpCo has a long track record of revenue generation. 

One would assume you were fresh to these here shores if you think this is any guarantee of performance, after the Governments work ethics (sic) have permutated the company all bets are off.  And do not trot out its at arms length, so is manx care how's that looking ?.

39 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Cream and brown settees mixed with granny chairs and white loungers, strange lighting and carpets that can only assist those who unfortunately suffer from mal-de-mer...

Mind you, if the bar stools are of the revolving type they should provide excellent entertainment in a heavy sea!

Despite all the criticism of Manx Forums, good to see we still have our celebrities. 

Thanks for your input Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen.

• Haha 10

19 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

One would assume you were fresh to these here shores if you think this is any guarantee of performance, after the Governments work ethics (sic) have permutated the company all bets are off.  And do not trot out its at arms length, so is manx care how's that looking ?.

The SPCO is run by people who understand shipping. Apples and pears 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Despite all the criticism of Manx Forums, good to see we still have our celebrities. 

Thanks for your input Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen.

I bet @P.K. would love a paisley suit and frilly shirt. 

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

It seems pretty par for the course as far as contemporary “cruise” ferry interior design is concerned.

I’ve travelled on each of the Galicia, Salamanca, and Santona from GB/IRL to Spain in the last 12 months. All less than 4 years old, Apart from the Mx being smaller it’d be impossible to tell them apart from inside.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I bet @P.K. would love a paisley suit and frilly shirt. 

A bit too "Laura Ashley" for me.

Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen is a decent chap with the taste and discernment of his time.

Fair play to him I say.

• Like 1