We bought a boat but can't see what we paid for

HelmutX

On 7/4/2023 at 11:06 AM, Kopek said:

Christ! It's big enough, just look down the harbour!

Yes, just waite for the first big winds once she is in service.  can't get into Heysham or Douglas or Liverpool.  she is like a big sail. I think they call it windage.   

was the cost not £78 mil

Edited by Manxman2000
  • Like 1

The amount of people whinging because they can't do their nosey.

'We' own many buildings and facilities around the Isle of Man, should we throw the doors open for them to come and go at your pleasure too?

It has to be ready, so training etc needs to take place. In the modern world, they would have to vet just about everyone, post 9/11, taking names, addresses and the likes and then checking into you. No doubt many would baulk at that idea too. 

Since there are so many nosey effers, they could make their money back in double quick time by having an Only Fans page for it!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Sorry if I've missed this one, but someone claimed on the Mannin Line on Monday that the new Manxman will have a Philippino crew. Can anyone confirm this before I start commenting ?

IMG_7312.jpeg

IMG_7312.thumb.jpeg.e080c2dde9511b5583a0125186f6dced.jpegIMG_7312.thumb.jpeg.e080c2dde9511b5583a0125186f6dced.jpeg

IMG_7312.jpeg

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 1

Just now, Shake me up Judy said:

Stop being a smartass. First time I've seen that picture. Obviously just a pub rumour then. Good.

The catering staff on both the Ben and Manannan are mainly Philippine , already. Used to be Eastern European, mainly Baltics, the occasional odd Bavarian, even, but since Brexit it seems it’s easier to get Visas for service staff from the Far East.

The Ben catering staff will just transfer over, as will the actual seafaring Crew, who are a mix of Manx and Irish and British, as we found out during Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Manxman2000 said:

Yes, just waite for the first big winds once she is in service.  can't get into Heysham or Douglas or Liverpool.  she is like a big sail. I think they call it windage.   

was the cost not £78 mil

Take it your an experienced master mariner with experience of sailing into both ports in winter or is this just another unfounded rumour from the pub?

Edited by Banker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Take it your an experienced master mariner with experience of sailing into both ports in winter or is this just another unfounded rumour from the pub?

No, and neither am I, but windage isn’t just a maritime phenomenon. It’s a pretty basic example of physics. Remember Newtons laws of motion?

1. A body remains at rest, or in motion at a constant speed in a straight line, unless acted upon by a force.

2. When a body is acted upon by a force, the time rate of change of its momentum equals the force.

3. If two bodies exert forces on each other, these forces have the same magnitude but opposite directions.

Bullets, or other projectiles, diverge from a straight trajectory due to windage. The amount of deviation is related to velocity, mass, and size plus the lateral wind speed/strength/direction.

Sailing ship speed depends on size and angle of sails to wind, as well as wind speed. That’s how tacking works.

Its why planes fly faster with a tail wind than into a head wind.

I’m sure you may have flown a kite, in its simplest expression.

So, a big, slab sided, boat will be affected by side winds more than a boat with a lower, sleeker, profile.

The effect is less at speed, as there is forward velocity and momentum. Not making headway in a harbour, turning to berth at a link span in windy conditions is when it’ll be at its most vulnerable to windage.

However, MX  does have more, stronger, lateral, directional ( steerable ) thrusters. These should obviate the need for tugs in all except the most exceptional winds. Quite often when Ben doesn’t sail it’s down to safe handling in the confines of Heysham, rather than how strong the wind is/how big the waves are during the crossing.

It’s been a long time since the Steam Packet was brought to its knees by a boat that couldn’t be manoeuvred in harbour and had to have a tug on standby. There were claims against the naval architects then.

Lets hope the current ones have good insurance, just in case.

• Like 1