We bought a boat but can't see what we paid for

HelmutX

7 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

So where did the cash come from to buy it? SPCO bank loans? 

Oh Lord.

Its all very publicly available info if people can be arsed to look it up.

Here you go.  I just spent 15 seconds on google for you.

IS MANXMAN A GOVERNMENT RUN PROJECT?

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Limited is 100% owned by Treasury, a Department of the Isle of Man Government. The Company is run at arm’s length and receives no form of Government subsidy. The Board, Executive, Management and staff of SPC are not employed by the Isle of Man Government. Manxman is being built to Isle of Man Steam Packet’s specifications, drawn up in line with the terms of the Strategic Sea Services Agreement. 

IS THE VESSEL BEING FUNDED BY ISLE OF MAN TAXPAYERS?

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company is wholly owned by the Isle of Man Government, with the shares held by the Treasury. Although some of the financing for the vessel has been arranged via the Isle of Man Government, the cost of the vessel will be borne by operating revenues of the Company. Therefore, the Isle of Man Taxpayer is not directly funding Manxman.

WHO IS PAYING FOR THE MANXMAN PROJECT?

The ultimate parent and controlling party of IOMSPC is The Treasury, a Department of the Isle of Man Government. Manxman has been procured and paid for by IOMSPC with finance provided by The Treasury on arm’s length commercial terms. The finance and operating costs of the vessel will be met entirely from the operating profits of the Company, at no cost to the Isle of Man Taxpayer. The introduction of Manxman will have no effect on ticket prices which are set entirely by reference to Manx CPI in accordance with the Sea Services Agreement.

Edited by Asthehills

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Oh Lord.

Its all very publicly available info if people can be arsed to look it up.

Here you go.  I just spent 15 seconds on google for you.

IS MANXMAN A GOVERNMENT RUN PROJECT?

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Limited is 100% owned by Treasury, a Department of the Isle of Man Government. The Company is run at arm’s length and receives no form of Government subsidy. The Board, Executive, Management and staff of SPC are not employed by the Isle of Man Government. Manxman is being built to Isle of Man Steam Packet’s specifications, drawn up in line with the terms of the Strategic Sea Services Agreement. 

IS THE VESSEL BEING FUNDED BY ISLE OF MAN TAXPAYERS?

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company is wholly owned by the Isle of Man Government, with the shares held by the Treasury. Although some of the financing for the vessel has been arranged via the Isle of Man Government, the cost of the vessel will be borne by operating revenues of the Company. Therefore, the Isle of Man Taxpayer is not directly funding Manxman.

WHO IS PAYING FOR THE MANXMAN PROJECT?

The ultimate parent and controlling party of IOMSPC is The Treasury, a Department of the Isle of Man Government. Manxman has been procured and paid for by IOMSPC with finance provided by The Treasury on arm’s length commercial terms. The finance and operating costs of the vessel will be met entirely from the operating profits of the Company, at no cost to the Isle of Man Taxpayer. The introduction of Manxman will have no effect on ticket prices which are set entirely by reference to Manx CPI in accordance with the Sea Services Agreement.

Yeah, it’s all public, but why would I bother when dick heads like you will do it for me? LOL 

1 hour ago, Manxman1234 said:

Regardless of where they from

why is this important as long as they can do their job 

I'm pleased that it's largely a Manx crew, that's all. The shipping industry tends to employ international crews. P & O have done it with some of their ferries. The old SPCO boats used to be part crewed by fully paid up Scousers if I remember. 

1 minute ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'm pleased that it's largely a Manx crew, that's all. The shipping industry tends to employ international crews. P & O have done it with some of their ferries. The old SPCO boats used to be part crewed by fully paid up Scousers if I remember. 

P&O have crewed their ferries with Filipinos for 25 years or more. 

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Without Filipinos in our health service & care homes it would have collapsed, some of the hardest workers about 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

Training is important, but there’s been plenty of time to fit in exclusive guided tours for the great and the good. It’s just us plebs- the ones who’ll actually be paying for it, either through tax or fares- who don’t get the time of day.

Most businesses will have an open day to celebrate a new shop, etc, but not the Steamie. Peasants know your place.

• Haha 1

Recently sailed on the steamie the crew were a breath of fresh air all very pleasant and helpful.

This may have been covered already but I doubt whether they’ll be any local crew left at all if the proposed 2 week on 2 week of rota is introduced (not allowed ashore at all)  looks to me like weeding out local crew to employ cheaper offshore crew is the long term goal.

16 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

looks to me like weeding out local crew to employ cheaper offshore crew is the long term goal.

There is absolutely nothing cheap about the rates offered by the IoMSPCo, they pay the same day rate for an AB from Castletown as they do for a guy from Riga. Goes the same for all the ranks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Why was a lady from Liverpool asked to launch the boat surely it should have been someone from the Island like the Governor’s wife ?  If this lady is deserving of recognition, and I am sure she is, she could have opened the landing stage at Liverpool.

6 minutes ago, ADELE said:

Why was a lady from Liverpool asked to launch the boat surely it should have been someone from the Island like the Governor’s wife ?  If this lady is deserving of recognition, and I am sure she is, she could have opened the landing stage at Liverpool.

Who gives a shit. Shouldn't even do any this stuff tomorrow.

Far too much nonsense going on

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, ADELE said:

If this lady is deserving of recognition, and I am sure she is, she could have opened the landing stage at Liverpool.

She'll be dead and buried by then....

• Haha 2