We bought a boat but can't see what we paid for

HelmutX

5 minutes ago, HelmutX said:

I'll chime in here. We, ALL OF US, have guaranteed close to £100m  on this new vessel. Yeah, MANXMAN1234.... close to £100m. WE FUND TREASURY. So, why do you think we are "entitled" to know what we have bought? Perhaps there are other mechanical/electrical/marine engineers on this Island (who pay taxes too BTW!). You think it should be a "black box"???? We pay they spend without showing off what could be a nice project. Also MANXMAN123-1/2, what about that dock being built??? we're paying for it and it's also gone way, way over budget.

MANXMAN12-waddeva, it's be good to have a proper walk-thru of the new project. Perhaps organize a small team to do a detailed documentary (in parts perhaps)? Personally, It'd be very interesting to see the internal workings of a vessel this size, operation, engines, electronics, plumbing, structure, loading logistics AND even when out of water.

I'd certainly like to see how the vessel is constructed and built and operated.... I'm sure there are may others too.

Nuff said

The vessel will be paid by revenue from passengers, not the tax payer

Are we inviting all TT visitors back to see if as they will pay more than their fair share of it? 

plenty of videos of inside of it already for people to see 

re Dock, I’m sure once it’s open and you purchase a ticket on a ferry to Liverpool you can see that then too?

didn’t hear people crying to see the new generators at the power station when they were commissioned 😂

Purchase a ticket like everyone else who needs to travel or wants to travel on it if want to see it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

A normal commercial company would have arranged a whole programme of events to show of their new product and encourage people to use it.  It's not so much the invite-only thing, as there would have to some sort of formal do[1], it's the lack of other events.  The only other things on offer are a chance for the plebs to watch the whole thing from a safe distance and a draw for 100 (it's not clear if they're free) foot passenger tickets on the "maiden service voyage, scheduled for later in the month".

Now training will clearly be important, but given that one of the most important things for the staff to deal with is how they move large number of people about the boat, you'd think that 'meet the public' events would be a good way of doing that bit of it.  And you'd assume have a programme for various groups to look it over: travel trade, club members. suppliers, corporate users - all the people who might bring you business or whose goodwill is useful.  And maybe reach out to other groups with potential (schoolkids?).

They do seem to have thrown together a press tour at last moment:

though it mainly seems have comprised letting them wander round for a bit rather than supplying them with any information to pass on.

Of course the Steam Packet has never been a normal commercial company and its purchase by the government (which ought to have made such communications even more desirable) has just led to a reinforcing of the corporate culture.  Rather than trying to increase usage, there's the age-old assumption that people will just have to use their services and be grateful for whatever they're given.   But someone has invented the aeroplane and people may simply choose not to go off (or come to) the Island at all.

[1]  Though even most of those won't be able to look around, this being restricted to a: small group of VIP guests including the Chief Minister, Treasury Minister, Board and Executive of Isle of Man Steam Packet Company and representatives of Hyundai Heavy Industries will be invited for a private tour of the vessel and to meet the captain.

I wouldn’t be too sure.

First, what type of tours, freebie viewings, trips around the bay, or round the Island, aren’t down to IoMG but down to the SPCo.

Second, I’ve no idea what experience you’ve got of other “commercial” ferry lines. Most don’t give a monkeys for their passengers, public, shareholders.

Take Brittany Ferries as an example. Their 3rd e-flexer, Santona, sailed from China in January. Dry docked at Astander in Santander early February and was due to have a maiden voyage on 25/2.

Yep, they had a bean fest in Roscoff on 23/2, new ship, journalists, Breton farmers and politicos. No members of the public, no frequent sailors. To promote themselves as a greener, cleaner, shipping line, with the latest and most modern fleet in Europe ( by end 2025 they’ll have replaced 5 out of 10 of their fleet in 5years ) they cancelled, at short notice,  Galicia round trip Rosslare to Bilbao and Salamanca round trip Portsmouth Santander ( her 2 and 3 year old sister ships ), so they could float around in Roscoff Harbour and join in.

That pissed off over 4,000 passengers who were booked on those 4 sailings, me included. Very Gallic customer service. I was transferred to a Caen Ouistreham to Portsmouth service which involved a 1000km extra drive.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

If you had a brand new boat with all new fittings and fixtures would you really want the world and its wife trailing through with the usual contempt for anything and everything.    The busses are cleaned every day but there is chewing gum on seats and other rubbish casually abandoned there are young ones with their feet up on seats etc. it would need deep cleaned before it went into service.    Buy a ticket they are cheap enough if you are unrestricted on dates and times.   

• Thanks 1

If the new Manxman ferry is as nice as it looks there's a real chance here to give tourism another go (I know, I know). Get the fare structure right, put together some good packages, 'sell the ferry' in the advertising, and let's get people on it, both ways. No point spending all those millions and not getting anything from it. With international travel a nightmare, it could kickstart new interest in Manx holidays. Perhaps I'm dreaming... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The church could buy one of those and offer baptisms with a thrill. That'd get believers in and put money on the plate.

I believe you could, if you wish, get baptised at somewhere like Poyll Vaaish for example. No ship, church or flume required. I believe they did that in the olden days, the days of the keeills.
Do a somersault off the rocks first if a thrill is needed, maybe on New Years Day, for free. Feel alive.

6 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I think you've got the tone wrong here. People just want to see it and expectations are running high. Going on that video the spec looks fantastic, and I'm not usually given to hyperbole. Fingers crossed that things go well with her. If she's as good in service as she looks in port then we've bought a beauty.

We've bought a lot of "beauties" over the years, though not always in a good way. Let's hope this one lives up to the billing.

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

We've bought a lot of "beauties" over the years, though not always in a good way.

We've employed some too, and still do. And given them massive pay offs....

• Like 1