Food Bank latest

ADELE

BS. Imagine having a well salaried job and using food banks. This isn’t a salary problem it’s an individual issue with their finances. I know people who earn less and are not using food banks. 
too much unionised bullshit causing this supposed cost of living crisis 

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

It’s not black and white, but the vast majority of pensioners are going to have more disposable income than a single or coupe with the same income at an earlier part in their lives.  Not by a little bit either, by a mile.

which younger people are going to be working for less than a state pension ?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Gizo said:

BS. Imagine having a well salaried job and using food banks. This isn’t a salary problem it’s an individual issue with their finances. I know people who earn less and are not using food banks. 

If you were a couple who decided to start a family about three years ago you could potentially have very little disposable income right now, even on 40k a year.

Mortgage payments have gone through the roof, energy and heating has gone through the roof, food has gone through the roof.

It is quite feasible that a couple on a 60k combined income who had been five years in their house getting ready to start a family could be completely stuffed now.  That thousand pound a month buffer they had three years ago has vanished.

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

which younger people are going to be working for less than a state pension ?

I doubt there are many who didn’t make some provision for retirement beyond a basic state pension.  Even if that is property ownership or a bit of savings.

They were pretty short sighted if they didnt 

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

I doubt there are many who didn’t make some provision for retirement beyond a basic state pension.  Even if that is property ownership or a bit of savings.

They were pretty short sighted if they didnt 

30 years ago the state pension could sustain you, not so much now , i think your maths is out on this one, there are no doubt some pensioners that are sitting pretty , but i doubt 'most' is an accurate claim.   the price of things going up for the younger folks  that you list as energy , heating ( same thing really ) and food applies to everyone, pensioners included,  it is only home owning pensioners with no rent or mortgage that could be better off but pensioners have less weekly income than most people earning.

• Like 3

IOM government has chosen not to progress a Food Waste Reduction strategy as mentioned in their Climate Change annual progress report.

This could tie in with the Food Bank. Shops and supermarkets could be obliged to give spare food rather than waste it as they do now.

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

If you were a couple who decided to start a family about three years ago you could potentially have very little disposable income right now, even on 40k a year.

Mortgage payments have gone through the roof, energy and heating has gone through the roof, food has gone through the roof.

It is quite feasible that a couple on a 60k combined income who had been five years in their house getting ready to start a family could be completely stuffed now.  That thousand pound a month buffer they had three years ago has vanished.

Well this supposed family you waffling on about need to rebudget their income and expenditure. It really isn’t that hard, it’s just people won’t because they might lose face on tik tok or insta. And the Range Rover evoque will have to stay darling. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ADELE said:

If policemen have to resort to using food banks ,even occasionally , how are pensioners who are on a basic pension supposed to survive ?    The reason I mentioned police is because Gary Roberts bought it up in  his report if they are having a tough time then nurses and fireman must be in the same position.      If they are on a minimum wage that is not great they will find it very difficult to attract and retain the right sort of person for a challenging job.  I think nowadays everyone pays into their own pension pot even the MHKs.   

Pensioners on a basic pension only and with low savings are able to access a whole range of other benefits to supplement their income.  Those worse off are often those with small occupational pensions and/or savings as well who are just over the threshold for such additional help.

But what all pensioners tend to have is stability.  They're settled in a home, their outgoings are fixed, their circumstances don't usually alter much.  So they're less susceptible to the economic crises that may force people to use foodbanks.  Of course they're vulnerable to more widespread pressures such as what they use (food, energy) going up by more than their pension, but foodbanks can't really help with that - that needs government action on benefits.

As for other emergency workers, there have reports of nurses using foodbanks for some time and of course other health workers such as care workers are even more poorly paid and you would expect them to be affected even more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Well this supposed family you waffling on about need to rebudget their income and expenditure. It really isn’t that hard, it’s just people won’t because they might lose face on tik tok or insta. And the Range Rover evoque will have to stay darling. 

You must live on a different planet.

How many people who had their £250k mortgage in their 30’s with young kids can easily absorb a jump from 1.75% to 6% on top of a doubling of their utility bills?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asthehills said:

You must live on a different planet.

How many people who had their £250k mortgage in their 30’s with young kids can easily absorb a jump from 1.75% to 6% on top of a doubling of their utility bills?

that i can agree with.

9 hours ago, Gizo said:

Prize for the first person who posts a picture of a copper shopping the Foodbank! It will never happen.