Fish logistics

mollag

2 hours ago, mollag said:

From their habit of trailing the herring fleet to scavange ?, often mixed up with the Common or black backed Gull, they are not a diving/ fishing seabird, they are omnivorous scavengers.

The food taken by gulls includes fish and marine and freshwater invertebrates, both alive and already dead; terrestrial arthropods and invertebrates such as insects and earthworms; rodents, eggs, carrion, offal, reptiles, amphibians, seeds, fruit, human refuse, and even other birds.

The name query was meant to be ironic.  I also understand that they are scavengers.  The point I was making was that they  switched to scavenging on land because man provided them with scaveninging opportunities and so have become a 'nuisance' on land.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

The name query was meant to be ironic.  I also understand that they are scavengers.  The point I was making was that they  switched to scavenging on land because man provided them with scaveninging opportunities and so have become a 'nuisance' on land.  

But pre Man, the population level was a natural order, they would rarely venture inland, going back to those levels would suit me fine, I have never been harrased at my gate by a Gannet, Cormorant, Shag or Puffin, never see a Gulimot over Somerset Road and Shearwaters neither, all these species get along without the need to intimidate folk in town.

I noticed some 2 "Dears" having a gossip in the lane at Somerset Square recently, they had to take shelter under the Telecom overhead wires due to gull attacks, not right IMHO 😒

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Some good news? 

https://gef.im/news/environment/whale-spottings-a-good-sign-for-sea-life-44358/

So it seems we have a resident Humpback whale now.  A few sightings since the summer and a (slightly worryingly close to the coast) sighting up at Cranstal (between Ramsey and the Pt of Ayre) at the weekend.  Nobody has got a clear shot of it's tail flukes yet, so can't say for certain it's the same one, but it would probably make sense. 

As noted in this thread earlier, it's probably chasing the re-invigorated Herring stocks that spawn up the East coast. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Some good news? 

https://gef.im/news/environment/whale-spottings-a-good-sign-for-sea-life-44358/

So it seems we have a resident Humpback whale now.  A few sightings since the summer and a (slightly worryingly close to the coast) sighting up at Cranstal (between Ramsey and the Pt of Ayre) at the weekend.  Nobody has got a clear shot of it's tail flukes yet, so can't say for certain it's the same one, but it would probably make sense. 

As noted in this thread earlier, it's probably chasing the re-invigorated Herring stocks that spawn up the East coast. 

It'll be a Ramsey lass engaging in some invigorating swimming exercise. Probably got lost during the New Year Dip.

• Haha 1

On 7/7/2023 at 5:29 PM, mollag said:

I have never been harrased at my gate by a Gannet, Cormorant, Shag or Puffin, never see a Gulimot over Somerset Road and Shearwaters neither, all these species get along without the need to intimidate folk in town.

I've been harassed at my gate for a shag. 

You like whales?  Wanna Humpback at my place? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Has anyone made any audio recordings  - the Humpbacks, not Ramsey lasses.

Nah, no one has got close to them (on a boat).  All the sightings thus far that I'm aware of, have been from the shore and usually quite far away.  Plus they don't sing all the time and I doubt if anyone has a hydrophone to hand. 

• 8 months later...

Local herring being caught this week thanks to a £150k subsidy from government are too small for kippering  they are in the fish shops for £8 a kilo  but after they are cleaned   very little  flesh on them  mostly bones  , they look more like sprats ,  my fishing  expert says they will be frozen and used for Lobster pot bait  as there really is no viable market for them , 

you have to ask yourself is this the best way to spend taxpayers money  probably catching immature herring that should really be left to get big enough to breed and reproduce , 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Thought it was an offence?

Isn't there a net gauge applied?  Seems mad to reward taking the young fish when trying to restore the stock. 

Would add that really fresh herring is the best fish, matched only by fresh mackerel. 

There was a clip on FB of sprats washing up alive in the tide at the Point of Ayre.  Is that normal? 

Edited by Gladys