BBC - AGAIN

Passing Time

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

I completely agree with you it’s unbelievably seedy and unpleasant but looks like it’s a legal grey area. Unlike legally having sex with anyone over the age of consent. 

It should be a legal black and white area to sleep with someone who's 16 when you're 60. The gulf in power between the two makes any sort of consent compromised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It should be a legal black and white area to sleep with someone who's 16 when you're 60. The gulf in power between the two makes any sort of consent compromised.

Totally agree with you. The thing on power is a new one arising from the Schofield situation. As a 60 year old he clearly has to pay for it. That suggests no real power at all. It also looks like the “performer” isn’t making an issue here it’s their parents so you wonder where the balance of power really is when people sell online content as their primary income to people who are prepared to pay for it. 

I have said it for a long time but the UK needs to take a real hard look at the age's it allows certain behaviours.

16 years - can consent to sexual intercourse, can join the armed forces with parental consent, and can enter into a housing contract.

17 years - can hold a driving licence 

18 years - can buy alcohol,  can vote, can buy or hire a firearm.

That is not even everything..

https://lawstuff.org.uk/at-what-age-can-i/at-what-age-timeline/

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

I have said it for a long time but the UK needs to take a real hard look at the age's it allows certain behaviours.

16 years - can consent to sexual intercourse, can join the armed forces with parental consent, and can enter into a housing contract.

17 years - can hold a driving licence 

Despite the outrage nothing specifically illegal appears to have happened. It just seems to have been very distasteful and ill judged. 

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Not at all.

When I was  seventeen I was seduced by a lady in her thirties or forties ( a la  Mrs Robinson). There was no gulf in power and no consent was compromised. I still recall the occasion with fondness even today !

Even if she was twenty years older in her sixties I don’t see the problem. Consent is consent.

Obviously any sort of coercion should be dealt with appropriately.

However we are  getting into dangerous territory if we try to prohibit consensual sexual activity between two people over legal age by setting some sort of arbitrary parameters based merely on how old each are.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Consent is consent.

It isn't though. As you note, coercion should be dealt with "appropriately", but coercion can be active or passive. If I slept with one of my employees, other than justifiably angering the wife, there would be serious concerns over implicit coercion whether it was consensual or not.

55 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Despite the outrage nothing specifically illegal appears to have happened. It just seems to have been very distasteful and ill judged. 

Yes, I know.  It doesn't change my views that the UK's age limits for certain things are very strange and all over the place.  It would be much easier and clearer if we said there was an age when you became old enough for everything. 

21 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It isn't though. As you note, coercion should be dealt with "appropriately", but coercion can be active or passive. If I slept with one of my employees, other than justifiably angering the wife, there would be serious concerns over implicit coercion whether it was consensual or not.

I doubt his "Mrs Robinson" existed beyond a poster in his bedroom. 

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Nice that his wife seems to be backing him up.

Tough. Mental health or not.

Mental health my arse!

he wasn’t needing mental health treatment when he was doing yhe news for years or the queen’s funeral or the coronation. All of sudden he’s needs it when he’s been found out. 
give me a break. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gizo said:

Mental health my arse!

he wasn’t needing mental health treatment when he was doing yhe news for years or the queen’s funeral or the coronation. All of sudden he’s needs it when he’s been found out. 
give me a break. 

Hold on bellend. His mental health issues have been well reported and he's spoken about them for years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

So it's a matter for Edwards, BBC, his family and the accusers.

Fuck all to do with the sun

4 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I completely agree with you it’s unbelievably seedy and unpleasant but looks like it’s a legal grey area. Unlike legally having sex with anyone over the age of consent. 

It's not a grey area. No laws have been broken. Black and white