Southern 100 Deaths

Harry Lamb

15 minutes ago, WTF said:

not in sharknardo they don't

It's actually an underrated film!  

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

No doubt somebody will correct me but I seem to recall Peveril MCC wanted to develop a short circuit at Knock Froy but the government wouldn't support it

The farm and I'm assuming the MotoX track was sold a few months ago.  I'm guessing the above would have been with the old owner. 

It's not about banning anything. 

It's about investigating what happened to establish what has happened and perhaps more importantly how it happened. 

Once that is established then there may be questions to be asked and answered (I suspect there will be some serious questions). 

The important thing is support is given to those who currently need it. Then making sure the same type of thing is not allowed to repeat itself.

That doesn't mean 'banning' anything, but it does mean being grown up about the facts, accepting truths, and learning from them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The continuation of road racing on this island depends on continued public support, and I get the feeling that that is waning.  And events like last Tuesday, seen by many people, will not help that public support.  

Regular deaths seem to be accepted as part of the risk of the events, they died doing what they loved and all that, but when 'civilians' are involved - and I know the tired old arguments about marshals and spectators knowing the risks - it's getting to be too much for the general public to stomach. Especially when the gory details emerge.

I'll predict this: Bilown racing is done.  The organisers will not be able to get insurance, and it'll go the way of the Irish races which seem to have all but stopped.  Next up will be MGP, which seems to be being gradually wound down in any case.  TT will go on for a few more years, but unless they can somehow move away from ever increasing lap records and re-invent it as an IOM festival with bike racing thrown in, it won't need many more 'big ones' or 'abnormal crashes' (That seem to happen every 3-4 years) to finish it off.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I predict the last TT will be the 100 year anniversary. Health and Safety has done for it once and for all. I don't know anyone who supports the TT anymore and everyone I know is against it. And once Bushy's Tent down at the Bottleneck goes then the Isle of Man TT is gone too.

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The continuation of road racing on this island depends on continued public support, and I get the feeling that that is waning.  And events like last Tuesday, seen by many people, will not help that public support.  

Regular deaths seem to be accepted as part of the risk of the events, they died doing what they loved and all that, but when 'civilians' are involved - and I know the tired old arguments about marshals and spectators knowing the risks - it's getting to be too much for the general public to stomach. Especially when the gory details emerge.

I'll predict this: Bilown racing is done.  The organisers will not be able to get insurance, and it'll go the way of the Irish races which seem to have all but stopped.  Next up will be MGP, which seems to be being gradually wound down in any case.  TT will go on for a few more years, but unless they can somehow move away from ever increasing lap records and re-invent it as an IOM festival with bike racing thrown in, it won't need many more 'big ones' or 'abnormal crashes' (That seem to happen every 3-4 years) to finish it off.

I think this sums it up perfectly Wrighty. I was always on the pro TT side of the debate, but there comes a time when things will have to change.

My prediction is you're bang on with Billown. Or as a minimum trial with no mass starts. But I think the course itself is inherently too dangerous for today's speeds and spectators are very close, so I'm saying it's done.

MGP - 2 years more.

TT in current format, 5 years max. Change it to more of a festival and it could continue.

Caveat - whatever the investigation finds out about Tuesday's events could change the timescales for MGP and TT. One thing is as sure as the sun rising in the east: spectator space will be even more under scrutiny.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I would be surprised if racing on the S100 course is yet done but I suspect that some significant changes may be required. Whether that continues to be attractive racing for fans is another matter. The major threat to road racing here, insurance premiums aside, is the mobile device which we all carry and can witness, record and share graphic crash footage before any dust has settled. I’ve been saying this for a few years and we are lucky that something horrible has not yet been shared. It is a matter of time and the reputational damage for the events and the Island will be significant. 

46 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

It's actually an underrated film!  

The farm and I'm assuming the MotoX track was sold a few months ago.  I'm guessing the above would have been with the old owner. 

Knock Froy (not the farm) is the Peveril MCCs own land.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I think this sums it up perfectly Wrighty. I was always on the pro TT side of the debate, but there comes a time when things will have to change.

My prediction is you're bang on with Billown. Or as a minimum trial with no mass starts. But I think the course itself is inherently too dangerous for today's speeds and spectators are very close, so I'm saying it's done.

MGP - 2 years more.

TT in current format, 5 years max. Change it to more of a festival and it could continue.

Caveat - whatever the investigation finds out about Tuesday's events could change the timescales for MGP and TT. One thing is as sure as the sun rising in the east: spectator space will be even more under scrutiny.

Yes you beat me too it.

All I would add is that I expect the organisers are enthusiasts who do it because they are passionate about it, not for great reward. The hassle that will have already come their way as the result of this accident will be massive. There will be more and more and it could go on for years. I can't believe that they will have the energy, skill, resources to deal with it and will likely have to throw in the towel. In the unlikely event that they can get insurance again it will have gone up exponentially now.

Racer deaths are bad enough. Non racer deaths are another thing entirely. It will not be palatable to any insurer.

I feel sorry for them as its a great event and a bit of history. I hope I am wrong, but I suspect its the end of this event.

Edited by Happier diner
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I predict the last TT will be the 100 year anniversary. Health and Safety has done for it once and for all. I don't know anyone who supports the TT anymore and everyone I know is against it. And once Bushy's Tent down at the Bottleneck goes then the Isle of Man TT is gone too.

The 100 year anniversary of what, @Barlow? The motorcycle TT started in 1907, on the St John's course, and moved to the Mountain course in 1911. Are you suggesting the last TT will be 16 years ago (or 12 if you don't recognise the early years as 'true' TT)?

I feel like predictions of the demise of the Southern 100 will prove to be wide of the mark. 

If the current organisers 'give up' then you can be sure DfE will jump in. 

I think there will be at least one more attempt at running the event in 2024 (plus the pre/post TT races). 

The motorsport crowd are more resilient than a lot of people give them credit for (whether that's a good or bad thing you will have to decide for yourself). 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Quizzical said:

The 100 year anniversary of what, @Barlow? The motorcycle TT started in 1907, on the St John's course, and moved to the Mountain course in 1911. Are you suggesting the last TT will be 16 years ago (or 12 if you don't recognise the early years as 'true' TT)?

He's being facetious.

20 odd years ago there were some who predicted that 2007 would be the end of the TT. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I feel like predictions of the demise of the Southern 100 will prove to be wide of the mark. 

If the current organisers 'give up' then you can be sure DfE will jump in. 

I think there will be at least one more attempt at running the event in 2024 (plus the pre/post TT races). 

The motorsport crowd are more resilient than a lot of people give them credit for (whether that's a good or bad thing you will have to decide for yourself). 

The Motorsport crowd will never give it up, but it won't be their decision. The public will decide that having riders and marshals destroyed on their doorstep (yes I know, boat in the morning, live somewhere else etc) is no longer acceptable. I think we're approaching that point. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1