Southern 100 Deaths

Harry Lamb

The police have just issued this statement!

Following the tragic incident which occurred during the Southern 100 races around 7pm on Tuesday 11th July 2023, police are now in a position to confirm the identity of rider who was involved as being Mr Alan Connor, aged 50, from County Meath and the identity of the marshal who was involved as being Mr Liam Clarke, aged 66, from Wigan. The families of both men are being fully supported by specially trained officers as the investigation into the circumstances of what occurred continues.
Police can also confirm that the two other people who sustained injuries at the scene were taken to hospital, where they remain receiving treatment.
Detective Inspector Neil Craig states, “I would like to extend my condolences to the families of both Mr Connor and Mr Clarke at this deeply upsetting time. Our enquiries have been ongoing extensively since Tuesday evening and we have spoken to a number of people who were present when the incident occurred. However, at this time, no further information is being released as we are still undertaking enquiries on behalf of the Coroner in order to establish the full facts and circumstances of what has occurred.
Additionally, I would like to thank all of our colleagues from across a number of agencies who have been instrumental in assisting us with this investigation, and in also providing the necessary help and welfare support to everyone who has needed this across all parts of the community.
As part of our continued investigations, I would like to again request that anyone who may have footage of the incident to please make contact with us at Police Headquarters on (01624) 631212, but would respectfully continue to ask that people refrain from speculating on what may have happened, particularly at this extremely distressing time for both men’s families”.

I think a sad thing about this is that the fact that Billown is a road circuit and not a purpose built track seems to have played little or no part in what happened. There is the obvious issue of spectator proximity, which luckily, and I mean luckily, did not become a factor. 

As more rumours surface, the less any possible mitigation of the cause by the organisers seems to have been possible. That's a matter for the inquiry really but I hate to say it, the possibility of a startline crash could have been devastating and should have been on the radar for years. Any changes would probably centre on this area?    

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wrighty said:

The continuation of road racing on this island depends on continued public support, and I get the feeling that that is waning.  And events like last Tuesday, seen by many people, will not help that public support.  

Regular deaths seem to be accepted as part of the risk of the events, they died doing what they loved and all that, but when 'civilians' are involved - and I know the tired old arguments about marshals and spectators knowing the risks - it's getting to be too much for the general public to stomach. Especially when the gory details emerge.

I'll predict this: Bilown racing is done.  The organisers will not be able to get insurance, and it'll go the way of the Irish races which seem to have all but stopped.  Next up will be MGP, which seems to be being gradually wound down in any case.  TT will go on for a few more years, but unless they can somehow move away from ever increasing lap records and re-invent it as an IOM festival with bike racing thrown in, it won't need many more 'big ones' or 'abnormal crashes' (That seem to happen every 3-4 years) to finish it off.

Is that based on comments on here? It's certainly not the feeling I get. Yes people are shocked and dismayed at any sport related death but they still go and watch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

The Motorsport crowd will never give it up, but it won't be their decision. The public will decide that having riders and marshals destroyed on their doorstep (yes I know, boat in the morning, live somewhere else etc) is no longer acceptable. I think we're approaching that point. 

How do forsee that playing out? I just can't imagine a scenario where that happens. 

The Great Manx Public are pretty docile. I can't remember any major (angry) protests for anything. Yes the GMP love a good rant online but that never translates into anything. 

I can't see an MHK with those kind of views getting enough votes to be elected, never mind a majority in Tynwald. 

It just doesn't seem possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Ithe possibility of a startline crash could have been devastating and should have been on the radar for years. Any changes would probably centre on this area?    

Startling incidents are rare.  I can only remember one at Billown when an F1 sidecar went across the track and behind the old buses.  No one was hurt bar the pride of the driver.

First corner is more of an issue but Ballakeighan gives riders the option to bail out towards Fishers Hill.  

Iron Gate can be pretty hairy.  Marshalled there a few times but all without incident.

Ballabeg is a slow bend and again provides plenty of room to bail out if the rider can't turn in.

After that they start to spread out on the first lap.  

Again though this wasn't,  as far as I have heard, an incident on the first lap.  It appears to have been at the end of the session. 

I can hazard a guess what may have happened if that is true. 

39 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Startling incidents are rare.  I can only remember one at Billown when an F1 sidecar went across the track and behind the old buses.  No one was hurt bar the pride of the driver.

First corner is more of an issue but Ballakeighan gives riders the option to bail out towards Fishers Hill.  

Iron Gate can be pretty hairy.  Marshalled there a few times but all without incident.

Ballabeg is a slow bend and again provides plenty of room to bail out if the rider can't turn in.

After that they start to spread out on the first lap.  

Again though this wasn't,  as far as I have heard, an incident on the first lap.  It appears to have been at the end of the session. 

I can hazard a guess what may have happened if that is true. 

Agreed, but the hazard of a collision near the start/finish line is what I was thinking about. Not really referring to this incident, just from being in the area when a race starts.  

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

So are all those who said the details were none of 'our' business now deliberately ignoring the latest Police statements.

Natural \human curiosity but not for them???

Ignoring it?  In what way?  It only really tells us who was involved and sadly passed away.

We don't know the other two casualties nor any details on what happened. 

Once the inquest is held then the details will probably be released.