Southern 100 Deaths

Harry Lamb

Very sad for all involved.

It may sound harsh but sometimes the best thing is to grit your teeth and carry on. It helps to stop dwelling on the sadness and pain. 

Stopping the whole event sets a precedent which may begin to make the future running of the races very difficult?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Stopping the whole event sets a precedent which may begin to make the future running of the races very difficult?

Given some of the rumours circulating currently they may have had no choice as perhaps some of the organization may have been called into question and they’ve had no other option. 

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Big changes now in social attitudes Max? If not legislation for post incident investigative purposes? They never used to stop (TT) races for fatalities either...the times they are a changing...

25 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It may sound harsh but sometimes the best thing is to grit your teeth and carry on. It helps to stop dwelling on the sadness and pain.

I’d agree normally, but I think the nature of this incident is slightly different to normal.

ETA I’m not in the know or anything, it just isn’t the usual accident. I wonder if they had a choice.

Edited by Ringy Rose

If a racing event was truly "so friendly, everybody knows everybody" on the Isle of Man, the Southern 100 is the one. Cannot see how they could carry on. May both those gone to a better place, as well as all those who have to try to cope hereafter, be in peace.

36 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Very sad for all involved.

I'm not sure gritting your teeth and carrying on is recommend but I recognise it's the motorbikist's way. This incident looks like it's beyond the ordinary.

The road is closed until 6pm - I can't think of another incident that lead to such a lengthy closure. Indicating a complex situation. 

You've got to also factor in  it occurred within sight of the grandstand / campsite. So the witnesses will include competitors and the organisers. Meanwhile, Manx Care are publicising mental health support, again not something I've seen before. 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Big changes now in social attitudes Max? If not legislation for post incident investigative purposes? They never used to stop (TT) races for fatalities either...the times they are a changing...

There's a huge amount of work to do here. I was taken aback when TT continued post-Mercer, with the same CoC in place. Unless it is something totally unforeseen, a racing incident involving serious injury or fatalities is likely to have human factors in play. The 'what happened' in terms of the timeline isn't just the scene, albeit that is critically important. What happened even as far back as debriefs of previous years, changes in procedures, surfaces, people, training all forms part of the inquiry.

Today, 'Well, its a dangerous sport, you know' doesn't cut it. Competitor fatalities and injuries are one thing. When marshals and spectators are caught up in it, there is a whole new set of questions.

It is in good hands with a very capable investigator. Hopefully the eventual reports will give those affected the answers they need. My thoughts remain with everyone affected.

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, Declan said:

Meanwhile, Manx Care are publicising mental health support, again not something I've seen before. 

That support is always usually always available to marshals, but given the relatively large crowd (of all ages) and aftermath it's welcome I'm sure.

Personally, when shit like that has happened to me marshaling, I head to the pub afterwards and chat with fellow marshals who have experienced the same or similar. But all people are different and most (especially spectators) are totally unprepared for the outcome of a high speed crash in front of them. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Given some of the rumours circulating currently they may have had no choice as perhaps some of the organization may have been called into question and they’ve had no other option. 

Isn't this the first year that the organisation of the event is not with the S100 ?

Edited by JessTickle

This seems a very principled decision from a tight-knit club and marshal community. Gritting teeth and carrying on may be the usual way but two men have died and it’s not before time that the finality and importance of that had been recognised. Racing bikes is not that important or essential, to anybody. 

• Like 5