Southern 100 Deaths

Harry Lamb

12 hours ago, joebean said:

What a load of knee-jerk rubbish. Grow up and actually read what I wrote and think about the sentiment behind it, rather than assuming it. Thankfully, you are not an admin here. 

I did. Unfortunately, I am not admin. 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Can this topic be locked until any further updates?

It seems to have turned into a bit of a bitching match for no reason other than to make noise.

It's because as usual nothing is being reported and there's almost an entire media blackout. It's the old Manx code of silence and everyone goes along with it. The people are not even allowed to know the basic facts. I watch the U.K. media everyday and events are fully reported, keeping the public informed. That's what happens in a real democracy.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's because as usual nothing is being reported and there's almost an entire media blackout. It's the old Manx code of silence and everyone goes along with it. The people are not even allowed to know the basic facts. I watch the U.K. media everyday and events are fully reported, keeping the public informed. That's what happens in a real democracy.      

Just because information interests the public doesn’t mean it’s in the public’s interest to know. 

Time enough. People died. That’s all we need to know right now. 

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It might just be that some relatives are hard to track down - if, say, UK relatives are involved, kids are on holidays now etc. and lots of people are travelling.

That's very possible, but why not just issue a statement along the lines of "We're not releasing the names until we know all those concerned have been contacted".  Keeping it mysterious just allows rumours to spread.  They're usually very quick to release names with TT - even if they don't always get the right one.

No one (or at least no one reasonable) is demanding all the gory details, but there are things which do need to be answered now.  For example there were two other people, another rider and a spectator, reported injured.  We don't need names but are they OK?  And there does need to be some explanation why the road needed to be closed for so long - such evidence gathering doesn't normally take a full day even with the most complex accidents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kopek said:

know the police ask us not to speculate on the indecent but  Jeeze, have they not heard of Social Media????? Release the details, then it is not speculation

People who need to know will know.

If you don’t know it’s because you don’t need to know.

• Like 6

Just now, Ringy Rose said:

People who need to know will know.

If you don’t know it’s because you don’t need to know.

True. I’d like to know because I have acquaintances in racing and more specifically these days who are travelling marshals but I’m also not rushing to find out.

I was quite relieved when someone yesterday posted something scathing about Jim Hunter in as much I knew he was safe. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ringy Rose said:

Because it’s none of our business, the identities of the people who died and how the injured people are getting on.

Wanting to know is not the same thing as needing to know.

You're eliding two things. Who said anything about names ? That's standard reporting protocol and we all respect it. In the immediate aftermath of a tragedy we don't know the who, the why or the wherefore. That's for the investigation. But we do have a right to know what happened. Except in the Isle of Man of course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

But we do have a right to know what happened.

There was an incident during the Southern 100 involving two riders, a marshal and a spectator. A rider and a marshal were killed. What more do you think we have a right to know?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1