Southern 100 Deaths

Harry Lamb

15 hours ago, Gizo said:

Hold on bell end. It’s the pro tt wanker is telling us to grit and teeth and carry on. Like nothing has happened. And also to not stop the racing because his precious TT might get affected. 
Sometimes you need to read a thread before jumping in with two feet. 

Who are you calling a wanker? I'd be very careful if I were you!

a) I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I suggested that sometimes gritting your teeth and carrying on is best. Not because of any immediate threat to the event but it helps to focus the minds of everyone away from dwelling on the tragedy and helps to heal the situation for them. I'm not saying the decision to cancel was wrong, it's right for many reasons, not least the risk to those in the grandstands in the event of a recurrence. 

b) I've never been a big fan of the S100, I last attended several years ago and was in the clubhouse area as a race started, I was very nervous indeed of a similar incident to Tuesday night's. 

c) I don't think it's sub judice or any secret what happened? Many witnessed it and have spoken openly. The practice session was ending, two riders approached the finish line where the chequered flag was being shown, also with a red flag to stop the session. The first rider crossed the line and shut off, the second rider was probably concentrating on getting a lap time and collided with the rear of the first rider and in the ensuing crash and debris, a marshal was killed. I believe there are end of session warnings before the finish line which the second rider may have missed? I think the fact that there was debris which ended up in the spectator area is why the event could not be restarted easily? This is something which has happened many times at race meetings around the world previously, I'd be very surprised if the incident itself is the result of any organisational failing. The proximity of spectators is probably the big issue here?    

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

There was an incident and two people died and two people were injured. What else do you need, as opposed to want, to know?

I believe the person injured fell whilst running away from the scene, so wasn't caught up in the actual incident? 

8 hours ago, Cambon said:

I did. Unfortunately, I am not admin. 

🙄 I suspect, out of the two of us, I have had more to do with supporting motorcycle racing here. But assume on, if that’s your thing. Blind support and silly reaction to any comment that does not fit your views and/or emotions about racing is both foolish and counterproductive. There is a lot of that about. 

• Like 2

Thank you Max for a clear, informative picture of what occurred.   Of course people are interested in what happened it was an awful accident and witnessed by a crowd of spectators  perhaps all the details have not been ascertained so no information is forthcoming obviously names can’t by released until the victims next of kin have been informed it would be horrific news to hear second hand.    A friend of mine witnessed it and said it all happened so quickly and it was hard to process.   I hope the two other people that were injured are recovering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's because as usual nothing is being reported and there's almost an entire media blackout. It's the old Manx code of silence and everyone goes along with it. The people are not even allowed to know the basic facts. I watch the U.K. media everyday and events are fully reported, keeping the public informed. That's what happens in a real democracy.      

I've never heard so much crap in my life. Within minutes of the incident the S100 club released a statement saying there had been a serious incident which was being assessed. Later that evening (the incident happened at 18:50) they released a statement saying there were two riders a marshall and a spectator were involved, then that two of them had died. The aftermath, road closures, witness appeals, counseling services etc have also been widely reported. The names of the dead will no doubt be released in due course, taking the needs and wishes of the families into account.

What more would have been said in a "real democracy"? What more do you want to know? What good would further information be to you or anyone else? I really don't know where you're seeing the "code of silence" or the "entire media blackout"

There's no doubt that this has been a very tragic incident which needs to be investigated and if necessary changes made as a result. I don't believe one of those changes should be changing the way it has been reported in the media because some old fart with a chip on his shoulder can't wait for the inquest to hear the gory details.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Sadly this event is no longer sustainable. It's 2023. It cannot go on. Things like this cannot happen in today's society. 

It's sad but more and more I realise the end is inevitable.

Time to build a proper circuit at Jurby where these unnecessary deaths can stop. 

Why would a circuit attract competitors against any of the other circuits? The USP here is the road racing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

I believe the person injured fell whilst running away from the scene, so wasn't caught up in the actual incident? 

Read what you wrote, read it again, take a minute to think about what you said - when the penny drops…….

Running away from an accident and being injured is 100% caught up in the incident.

Stop denying the obvious for your own needs and justification.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Things like this cannot happen in today's society. 

Things like this do happen in today's society. Untimely death is not that unusual for all sorts of reasons. Different people choose to be outraged by different ones, and logic or integrity is not always involved in these choices.

• Like 1