Southern 100 Deaths

Harry Lamb

We've been through this and worse many times before. Most of us marshal and spectate because we support the right to do what you want to do on closed roads. That will carry on.

This is an uncommon outlier accident...that hopefully will at least see the end of mass starts and maybe introduce some better rules on finishing.

Like aircraft, things only improve when shit happens and sometimes that's unpredictable shit. That's why the TT has moved on from 120 marshals to 620 marshals.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

You start your argument from 50 years ago- I’ll start mine 3 days ago- is running away from a double fatality in view of many people witnessing the deaths and @Max Powersaying person not too injured because not much debris from a double death incident didn’t clobber them….

ill leave it with you 

That's not what I said at all, do you have a comprehension problem?

10 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Just for the information of our younger readers; until the late '70s racing deaths in the T.T. weren't reported at all. It was all swept under the carpet. It took a brave journalist to change all that.

That's simply not true at all.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

You start your argument from 50 years ago- I’ll start mine 3 days ago- is running away from a double fatality in view of many people witnessing the deaths and @Max Powersaying person not too injured because not much debris from a double death incident didn’t clobber them….

ill leave it with you 

I'm happy to debate using any time frame you choose. Unfortunately English is the only language I have though so perhaps I'm not best equipped to respond to your post.

40 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Just for the information of our younger readers; until the late '70s racing deaths in the T.T. weren't reported at all. It was all swept under the carpet. It took a brave journalist to change all that.

For our younger readers, TT deaths were very much reported before and throughout the Seventies despite what miserable old bigots would have you believe. 

The TT, despite being the birthplace of the motorcycle world championship (the now Moto GP) lost its status as a round of it  in the mid Seventies entirely due to the publicity surrounding deaths here and rightly so IMHO.

If you want to judge Shake me up Judy's objectivity in this matter just look at his previous post claiming a "code of secracy" and "entire media blackout" in relation to the current and extensively reported incident.

He's a bitter old fool.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

For our younger readers, TT deaths were very much reported before and throughout the Seventies despite what miserable old bigots would have you believe. 

The TT, despite being the birthplace of the motorcycle world championship (the now Moto GP) lost its status as a round of it  in the mid Seventies entirely due to the publicity surrounding deaths here and rightly so IMHO.

If you want to judge Shake me up Judy's objectivity in this matter just look at his previous post claiming a "code of secracy" and "entire media blackout" in relation to the current and extensively reported incident.

He's a bitter old fool.

You're not wrong...I remember rainy TT days in the 70s with Ago and Sheene moaning about the TT on the back pages of the Daily Mirror.

...though I never found the Mirror's Chalky White and never got a fiver.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, joebean said:

🙄 I suspect, out of the two of us, I have had more to do with supporting motorcycle racing here. But assume on, if that’s your thing. Blind support and silly reaction to any comment that does not fit your views and/or emotions about racing is both foolish and counterproductive. There is a lot of that about. 

I agree.

I cannot imagine what @Cambon found so offensive about your original post that they believed you should be suspended(!?!?).  I think they've confused you with another poster but can't admit it...

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Errr....

I'm 65 years old and I spent the first 18 years of my life growing up on the TT course and then another couple of years after I graduated from university.

I actually agree with a lot of your general posts more than a lot of other posters here do, but I really don't think I believe you when you say TT deaths weren't "reported at all" until the late 1970s.

Do you mean ignored and not "reported at all" in the IoM press?

Who was this "brave journalist"?

Edited by Ghost Ship

8 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

And yet he's still as dead as he would have been as if he'd died racing a motorcycle. He'd certainly have been more aware of the potential danger racing his bike - but far more people die in open road accidents than in motorcycle races. Is this acceptable because more people use the roads than race bikes? Is it more acceptable because we drive cars on the road and so would be more affected by banning that than motorcycle road racing? It would certainly save more lives. Death is such an absolute thing, it's very difficult to decide what is acceptable and what isn't.

One thing is for sure, nobody is forced to race bikes or marshall against their will, and nobody does it without an acute awareness of the risks involved. People die doing it and no matter what anyone claims, nobody hides the fact. As Mick Grant said,"we're not playing tiddlewinks." Untimely death is a fact of life, as it was for Mike Hailwood on hi was to the chippy. Bike racing is dangerous but so is getting out of bed, or flying a helicopter (Steve Hislop), riding a bicycle (Nicky Hayden) getting cancer(Barry Sheene).

You don't understand the concept of likelihood and severity. The multiple of the two being the risk.

You can die going to the chippy. The likelihood is extremely low. You can die riding a motorcycle in a race. The likelihood is fairly high (comparatively). You can die riding a motorcycle in a road race and the likelihood is high. 

3 hours ago, Gizo said:

When you resort to spelling or grammar errors you know your argument or pov resonates. 

Behave. It was a joke. He ruined his own argument by not checking his post before sending. 

Edited by Roxanne
Change words.
  • Haha 1