Southern 100 Deaths

Harry Lamb

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You don't understand the concept of likelihood and severity. The multiple of the two being the risk.

You can die going to the chippy. The likelihood is extremely low. You can die riding a motorcycle in a race. The likelihood is fairly high (comparatively). You can die riding a motorcycle in a road race and the likelihood is high. 

You can also die driving a car or riding a bike over the mountain which seems to happen a lot outside any racing but don’t see many people shouting for mountain roads to be closed 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You don't understand the concept of likelihood and severity. The multiple of the two being the risk.

You can die going to the chippy. The likelihood is extremely low. You can die riding a motorcycle in a race. The likelihood is fairly high (comparatively). You can die riding a motorcycle in a road race and the likelihood is high. 

No I do. It's the basis of risk assessment. I'm just making the point that death is a very absolute thing. I agree that you're much less likely to be killed in a car crash than a motorcycle road race. I'm just making the point that far more people die in car crashes.

As I said before, early death is a fact of life, we all accept it on some level. The only difference between us is that what level we find acceptable. Some people use logic in that decision, others not so much.

It seems very simple to me, if you find the risk of death at the s100 unacceptable, don't do it - no one will try to change your mind. Let the people who do find it acceptable get on with it, don't try and change their mind.

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It seems very simple to me, if you find the risk of death at the s100 unacceptable, don't do it - no one will try to change your mind. Let the people who do find it acceptable get on with it, don't try and change their mind.

You could replace the "s100" with "heroin" in the above paragraph. 

Would it change your opinion?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

don’t see many people shouting for mountain roads to be closed 

No, but you see the same tedious halfwits demanding that the whole island has a blanket 40mph speed limit.

6 minutes ago, Declan said:

You could replace the "s100" with "heroin" in the above paragraph.

You’d have a lot less crime if you did legalise heroin on prescription.

• Like 2

‘The more you hear ‘.  this is a telling statement there are horrendous stories going around, rumours of what happened aplenty always happens when the public are asked not to speculate, human nature being what it is we do.    I am only interested in how the two people who were injured are doing and hope they are recovering well as as many more people are, surely some indication on that front would not be breaching any confidence and it would be some good news if they are ok.   

• Like 1

Two of my friends lost sons racing over the years one in MGP one in Southern hundred, four others lost sons on the TT course on motorcycles that were not TT related this was over a space of time obviously but it makes you think.   No one is suggesting banning motorcycles that would be foolish.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

There's a lot of skewed perceived risks too. 

I've often been questioned if I'm concerned about going into the sea in sharky places.  When the reality is that I am more likely to die in a car crash driving to the beach than to be attacked by a shark. 

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

There's a lot of skewed perceived risks too. 

I've often been questioned if I'm concerned about going into the sea in sharky places.  When the reality is that I am more likely to die in a car crash driving to the beach than to be attacked by a shark. 

you probably spend more time in a car than in shark infested waters so it's fairly obvious what is more likely.   i always thought it amusing that they claim more shark attacks happen in shallow water than out at sea,  of course they do cos there are more people in  the shallow waters swimming off beaches than there are swimming out at sea.  has anybody ever died in space ?  quite a few have trying to get there but that isn't the same thing, space must be a very safe place based on that then ???

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

you probably spend more time in a car than in shark infested waters so it's fairly obvious what is more likely.   i always thought it amusing that they claim more shark attacks happen in shallow water than out at sea,  of course they do cos there are more people in  the shallow waters swimming off beaches than there are swimming out at sea.  has anybody ever died in space ?  quite a few have trying to get there but that isn't the same thing, space must be a very safe place based on that then ???

Sharks only attack wet people.  They can sense whether you're wet or not and won't attack dry people.  FACT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, HeliX said:

If I were in charge, which I'm sure everyone is glad isn't the case, I'd develop Jurby and continue to run the TT/MGP/S100 until such a time that it was no longer possible, and then have an alternate circuit ready to go. No real reason it couldn't be on the BSB/feeder series calendars.

No doubt somebody will correct me but I seem to recall Peveril MCC wanted to develop a short circuit at Knock Froy but the government wouldn't support it

• Like 1