Fuel Prices

TheTool

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dunno what all the fuss is about, my petrol only ever costs £20 'cos thats all I put in

Although it's not much use to anyone whose business involves driving a vehicle, I actually think it's a fair view of things for private motorists. Put in the same amount - in monetary terms - as usual, and do more walking, cycling etc. Don't be a slave to your vehicle.

I've recently seen several cars, vans etc running on LPG, including a Mercedes taxi whose driver claims that it saves him a considerable amount on fuel costs without any great loss of performance.

LPG seems very popular in Central Europe (Poland and Czech Rep. at least). From what I can tell it's much cheaper but for safety reasons all the LPG stations are outside of built-up areas. How easy is it to buy on Mann?

From what I can tell it's much cheaper but for safety reasons all the LPG stations are outside of built-up areas. How easy is it to buy on Mann?

You can get it from Raymotors in Ramsey or the garage in Castletown. I don't think there's any others.

lpg also available at union mills garage.

most cars can be converted for around £2000.00 and normaly the lpg tank takes up the space the spare wheel uses.

you can switch fuels at the flick of a switch with only a small reduction in performance when using lpg.

Large diesel buses/wagons etc can also be converted but can not switch between fuels.

you would need to be doing more than 18000 miles a year to make it worth while although volvo do have perpose build lpg/petrol cars in there range for not much more than petol only.

most cars can be converted for around £2000.00

Apparently if your car is less than 5 years old you can get a grant towards the cost as well. (Can you tell I've looked into it since reading this thread?)

Unfortunately, my car is well over 5 years old now so I wouldn't get a grant and I'm far too mean to buy the kit outright!

Archived