Fuel Prices

TheTool

Alternatively, buy a diesel and get one of these

as long as the materials are readily available here that would be a better solution than an lpg conversion as you could use the fuel in multiple vehicles or a heating system, or even a generator to get off the MEA supply !. I noticed an item in the paper that said a number of hotels now generate their own electricity from gas.

Now, just how many chippies and restaurants are there, and who stocks methanol ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only problem I can see would be getting enough waste oil over here to run it as a business. To import it would make it too expensive as it would to use fresh oil, but for a couple of mates to invest in one and make say 150 litres a week for their own use it might be viable. (Especially if your naughty and don't declare the duty, but you'd get well nailed if you were found out!)

I thought that this was quite interesting, five years ago on 08 September 2000 French fuel protests spread to UK

The protests ended on 14 September, but UK Prime Minister Tony Blair ruled out giving in to public opinion and cutting taxes to bring fuel prices down.

Blair promised to listen to protesters, but offered no concessions on the taxes which have made British fuel prices the highest in Europe. British truckers paid an average of 81.8 pence for a liter ($4.33 a gallon) of diesel fuel last month, compared to 49.6 pence ($2.63) in Belgium, according to the Automobile Association.

"I'm in the camp that the government should have realised a long time ago that we were headed into this new era for oil price and they should have revisited their tax policy on transport fuels after the warning they got in September 2000."

Stav.

Very interesting the "Green Fuels" site - I remember seeing something on CNN many years ago about a German guy who owned a bunch of fast food places and he used the old oil from the cooking to power his merc - obviously must have used a similiar process.

TBH I didn't think there was a duty on "Bio" fuels in the UK - maybe from what I understand is that if you grow something like rape and use it for fuel you don't have to pay duty - from what I've seen on the website - it looks like you do have to pay duty on fuel you've "made" from waste?

Does anyone know the legal position on the IOM???

A few years ago there were some entrepreneurs in the south of England who converted cooking oil into car fuel, using old chip shop, cafe etc oil. Apparently it worked perfectly well but some were tempted not to pay the duty which, for some reason I cannot remember, is still due on such items.

I didn't think there was a duty on "Bio" fuels in the UK - maybe from what I understand is that if you grow something like rape and use it for fuel you don't have to pay duty

Duty has to be paid on any road fuel no matter what it's made of, although "biofuels" incur a much lower rate of duty than mineral diesel. I know farmers can grow the rape and use the oil themselves on the farm without paying duty, but that's a similar rule to the use of Red Diesel.

Archived