Chris Thomas MHK sacked from DOI

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well the basic salary of a UK MP (650 for a population of 67.75 million = 104,231 per MP) is £86,584.  The basic salary of an MHK (24 for a population of 84,069 = 3,503 per MHK) is £71,610, though unlike the UK figure that's not including the 2023 payrise.  

So while the number of people you represent may be near to 5% of theirs (3.4% actually), salary certainly isn't.  In fact MHKs get paid more than members of the Scottish Parliament for example (£67,662).

You conveniently avoid listing the cost per MP when you factor in expenses. I think it averages £250k. And anyway, I’m worth it!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Stu, I stood up for you many a year ago about the Sh1t you were getting over buying non Manx milk.

Having said that, and with no axe to grind because I don't live on the island anymore (and WOULD LIKE TO MOVE BACK IF IT IMPROVED) 

I will just say this....

I really don't see a proper democracy now that the civil service has become so powerful on the island.

I voted when I was last resident but saw the futility of it, without a "Block Vote" even Comin cannot override the CS blob

I have had very personal experience of this while I was there and it is really depressing - See JackWhite thread about doing business on the island.

The Islands CS are obsessed with form filling and meetings amongst themselves. 

From my business experience, anyone who spends most of their time in meetings will actually achieve jack shit and todays announcement of yet another "Board" for the DOI is a prime example.

I do no more than 5 meetings a month of about 30 minutes to 1 hour long and get lots of things progressed, the stuff that is in the "Action Column"

Stu, you are not stupid, can't you see all this consultation and meetings is just kicking the can down the road?

Because if all you do is go from one meeting to another you will have no time to actually make things happen?

I absolutely agree Blade and am lobbying hard for less bureaucracy, fewer meetings and committees and using outcomes rather than outputs as a measure of progress. To me a meeting should take 15-30 minutes and any papers should be a single sheet of A4. Part of the current fixation is to do with risk aversion - I’m old school where you make a decision and apologise on the inevitable occasions when you get it wrong. But with FOI and greater transparency people are afraid of being hung out to dry so cover their arses with reams of paper. I’m told it’s the way all large organisations do business these days.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I’m told it’s the way all large organisations do business these days.

Told that by whom? In my experience, it's not the way that the more successful large organisations do business.

Risk mitigation, absolutely. But excessive risk aversion equals stagnation, or worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Yibble said:

Told that by whom? In my experience, it's not the way that the more successful large organisations do business.

Risk mitigation, absolutely. But excessive risk aversion equals stagnation, or worse.

It’s organisations like FSA, MoneyVaal, planning departments etc that make people very risk adverse & wanting legal advice on everything.

10 hours ago, Yibble said:

Watch how Tynwald questions turn into an operational inquest and blame laying on stuff which isn’t actually ‘politics’ and you’ll see why Ministers want to be fully informed before deciding anything and the CS spend so much time on decision and policy option papers etc.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ian rush said:

Watch how Tynwald questions turn into an operational inquest and blame laying on stuff which isn’t actually ‘politics’ and you’ll see why Ministers want to be fully informed before deciding anything and the CS spend so much time on decision and policy option papers etc.

Members questions take up a significant amount of time for departments etc & it’s mostly grandstanding when they can ring departments for answers themselves or do research.

FOI requests are also a major issue for many departments, local authorities etc with significant amounts of time spent, Trevor Cowin is probably responsible for costs of 4/5 FTE employees every month 

Chris Thomas is doing a guest appearance on Manx Forums next Thursday.   Now Tynwald has broken up for the summer it would have been a good time to keep his head down and chilled, by the autumn someone else will have been moved on and his disastrous tenure at the DOI will have been forgotten.  Pity parties never end well.

18 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I absolutely agree Blade and am lobbying hard for less bureaucracy, fewer meetings and committees and using outcomes rather than outputs as a measure of progress. To me a meeting should take 15-30 minutes and any papers should be a single sheet of A4. Part of the current fixation is to do with risk aversion - I’m old school where you make a decision and apologise on the inevitable occasions when you get it wrong. But with FOI and greater transparency people are afraid of being hung out to dry so cover their arses with reams of paper. I’m told it’s the way all large organisations do business these days.

More thinking and fewer meetings.

19 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

....... with FOI and greater transparency people are afraid of being hung out to dry so cover their arses with reams of paper.

That can't possibly be true as literally no one is hung out to dry, ever. It's the absolute opposite and you know it. You've even said that on your show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

That can't possibly be true as literally no one is hung out to dry, ever. It's the absolute opposite and you know it. You've even said that on your show.

I won’t name names but we all know of a lot of senior people who have retired well before their sell-by dates.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I won’t name names but we all know of a lot of senior people who have retired well before their sell-by dates.

All on full pensions, severances and pay offs and who are now working in other roles in government? 

Those senior people?

Hardly ‘hung out to dry’ Stu.

Edited by Roxanne
Get rid of comma.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

All on full pensions, severances and pay offs and who are now working in other roles in government? 

Those senior people?

Hardly ‘hung out to dry’ Stu.

We should sack them all and just have £3m tribunal awards instead! Really stick it to the man ..

• Like 1