Chris Thomas MHK sacked from DOI

11 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

The test well will prove to investors that gas is available at commercial flow rates and quality. 3D seismic will then confirm the extent of the field.

Grammar is important. The test well will prove whether or not gas is available at commercial flow rates.

If the well is not viable, what are the predicted decommissioning/clean-up costs, and who will pay them?

Does anyone believe that this would have been moved forward in the fashion that it has if there was any sort of democratic opposition in our political system?

"This is not a one party state". Yeah right, Alf.

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Does anyone believe that this would have been moved forward in the fashion that it has if there was any sort of democratic opposition in our political system?

"This is not a one party state". Yeah right, Alf.

He's right though. It's a one man state, not one party.

8 hours ago, Happier diner said:

And what about these 'regulations'? Or lack of.  What's the score there? 

The lack of regulations lies squarely at CT and the DOI. This is probably one of the reasons he got sacked . My bet is that the DOI hoped it would go away  and Crogga would not raise the funds . I understand Crogga have the funds ready to subject to the regulations being in place to allow the drilling .

CT was completely bluffed by the Civil Servants who did not want this to happen . He became part of the problem rather than the solution .

if you listened to some of the BS coming from his mouth on Manx radio such as he has liaised with Crogga greatly 😂, he and the DOI officers refused to meet with them since Feb as they realised Crogga had called their bluff and were ready to go.

in fact CT started stating in public that there was a cost to the tax payer in establishing the regs ( just like there will be for the off shore wind turbines ) but he did not state that Crogga had offered to pay the costs of the government in establishing the regs . He was blatantly lying . 

Whether you are for the gas or against it the shear incompetence, lack of good will and faith  is off the scale .

This is nothing new Lord Street , The Prom, The Sea Terminal , it’s goes on .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Grammar is important. The test well will prove whether or not gas is available at commercial flow rates.

If the well is not viable, what are the predicted decommissioning/clean-up costs, and who will pay them?

Even drilling a test well is a potentially extremely hazardous exercise which can lead to catastrophic results. Everyone seems to think you can just set some chancers to work with a boat and a drill and hey presto, jackpot.

That's why there are loads of regulations

Eye of fire' after underwater gas leak in Gulf of Mexico – video | World  news | The Guardian

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The appraisal well plugging cost are included in the costs that the operator charge Crogga , the Operator Crogga have selected is Three60 energy who have the global contract with BP.

The operator takes out insurance ti cover any unexpected costs but they can only get insurance if the regs are in place .

The  DOI failed to get the regs in place .

Nothing can move forward 

There have already been two appraisal wells drilled previously decades ago when the waters were UK ( I think for oil ) - they have both been plugged , no issues .

if you go on to the North Sea transition authority website you can see the thousands of appraisals wells that have been drilled in UK waters over the decades.

even if Crogga drill there is still only a 50/50 chance that the gas will flow at the required rate.

if it does flow then the government are sitting on a cash cow

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Even drilling a test well is a potentially extremely hazardous exercise which can lead to catastrophic results. Everyone seems to think you can just set some chancers to work with a boat and a drill and hey presto, jackpot.

That's why there are loads of regulations

Eye of fire' after underwater gas leak in Gulf of Mexico – video | World  news | The Guardian

Correct and the DOI have been dragging their feet in getting them established and that is why both Crogga and their operator three60 Energy cannot move forward  without the regs in place.

The photo you have attached was not from drilling but from a gas leak from an under water gas pipeline off the coast of Mexico. The production Rig next to it is an oil rig where the spark came from to ignite the gas which was why this was such a big issue and could have been very serious . It took them almost 5 hours to put the flames out.

We have a gas pipeline off the west coast of the Isle of Man too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Mann O Mann said:

The lack of regulations lies squarely at CT and the DOI

What a load of tosh. Developing the appropriate regulations would take years and cost hundreds and thousands of £££££'s. I suggest you do some research on the subject. We have no regulations but are expected to perform the miracle of developing them at the public expense and within months for something that we don't even know even exists

https://www.hse.gov.uk/offshore/law.htm

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/oil-and-gas-offshore-environmental-legislation

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What a load of tosh. Developing the appropriate regulations would take years and cost hundreds and thousands of £££££'s. I suggest you do some research on the subject. We have no regulations but are expected to perform the miracle of developing them at the public expense and within months for something that we don't even know even exists

https://www.hse.gov.uk/offshore/law.htm

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/oil-and-gas-offshore-environmental-legislation

What like the research you did with your photo😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

As mentioned …..Crogga offered to absorb the cost development of the regs.,…..

The UK have some great regs the IOM could adopted , backed by 000’s of appraisal wells. We rubber stamp most   Other UK regs already .

probably take about 1 year tops to manxify , estimate the cost will be 500k

15 minutes ago, Mann O Mann said:

What like the research you did with your photo😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

As mentioned …..Crogga offered to absorb the cost development of the regs.,…..

The UK have some great regs the IOM could adopted , backed by 000’s of appraisal wells. We rubber stamp most   Other UK regs already .

probably take about 1 year tops to manxify , estimate the cost will be 500k

What like the research you did with your photo - I never said it was a well fire

As mentioned …..Crogga offered to absorb the cost development of the regs.,….. Did they indeed. How much money did they have ?

The UK have some great regs the IOM could adopted , backed by 000’s of appraisal wells. We rubber stamp most   Other UK regs already . Yes I agree. I suggested that about a month ago. If Crogga are experts surely they would have suggested this

probably take about 1 year tops to manxify , estimate the cost will be 500k A year would be ambitious. Not needed if UK/European regs adopted. My point though is that I think they have copped out, blaming the government. If there is gas, a professional organisaion will be along soon

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The UK have some great regs the IOM could adopted , backed by 000’s of appraisal wells. We rubber stamp most   Other UK regs already . Yes I agree. I suggested that about a month ago. If Crogga are experts surely they would have suggested this

How do you know that they didn’t?   If DOI won’t play ball, Crogga can make all the suggestions they want - it still won’t move anything forward.

Edited by Jarndyce

18 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Having dealt with him in the past (pre MHK) I can tell you he's really not a very nice man at all.

All I suggested was a reason that he gets “wheeled out at every opportunity “.   I wasn’t commenting on his niceness or otherwise.

• Like 1

Interesting to hear Chris Thomas on Manx Radio Perspective Sunday.

It seems it was largely about Crogga and Alf Cannan wanting to change the contract for Crogga. Chris sees any gas in Manx waters as a resource belonging to the people. Any exploitation should be not be based on old data but on a modern seismic survey. And Crogga may not be the best people to deal with it.

Also he explained how lots of good work has been going on within the DOI as regards housing and the airport etc etc.

https://www.manxradio.com/podcasts/perspective/episode/perspective-23-7-23-chris-thomas-gives-his-warts-and-all-assessment-his-turbulent-year-as-infrastructure-minister/

Edited by Moghrey Mie