Chris Thomas MHK sacked from DOI

14 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I absolutely remain my own man Joe, as there is nothing I want or need from CoMin or anyone else except the chance to improve things.

The trouble is that discussions in ‘the bubble’ are adult, reasonable and think through the consequences of every decision. Discussions on social media are usually fruitless, childish, vindictive and unreasonable. And when I try to point that out, it merely adds to the feeding frenzy. I can understand why so few Tynwald members engage.

I concede that might be the case on occasion Stu, but I have been party to some of those discussions and in the presence of a few politicians. The experience was not always edifying. The point I am trying to make is not to be superior or condescending and become a Hooper, or worse and remember that Tynwald is not the centre of debate and knowledge. A discussion I had with the late Noel Cringle about the tendency of MHKs to very quickly forget who they actually are was probably the most perceptive thing I ever heard from a politician. 

Edited by joebean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I absolutely remain my own man Joe, as there is nothing I want or need from CoMin or anyone else except the chance to improve things.

The trouble is that discussions in ‘the bubble’ are adult, reasonable and think through the consequences of every decision. Discussions on social media are usually fruitless, childish, vindictive and unreasonable. And when I try to point that out, it merely adds to the feeding frenzy. I can understand why so few Tynwald members engage.

You say reasonable things, Stu, and it is good that you are prepared to engage.

My challenge would be that discussions and business in 'the bubble' are, as the phrase implies, detached from life outside it.  The enforced codes of behaviour (including the infamous application of sub judice), the gilded chambers and the various people who put on the contents of their dressing-up box before going into a sitting add to the detachment.  There must be a high risk that you and other members get seduced into acting like the courtiers in the fable of the Emperor's New Clothes, and do not call out foolishness when it is obvious to people outside the bubble.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Enlighten us what you have done to improve anything? 
engaging and listening to public view whether it’s in the street or social media is all valuable information, your condescending attitude in respect of the conduit you were happy to use to court votes with you ‘people’s straight talking champion’ stance which disappeared once the salary was gained. 
I look forward to you responding with the improvements to strategy or policy or legislation that you have championed and succeeded in progressing improvements. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

The trouble is that discussions in ‘the bubble’ are adult, reasonable and think through the consequences of every decision.

That is your opinion - and in cases too numerous to list now, the 'adult's have proven to be no better than nursery-school children.  It's colloquially termed 'the blind (been nowhere, done nothing civil servants) leading the blind (amateur wanabee politicians most of whom have also been nowhere, done nothing).

Furthermore, your comment about the standard of comments here, whilst perhaps not meeting the intellectual level of an Oxbridge PPE graduate (no names) is extremely condescending.

Edited by Utah 01

11 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

By saying there is nothing you want or need from CoMin confirms my suspicions that you- right now- are riding the £70k train.

When was the last time you personally spoke to either Alf, Allinson or Johnston personally on an important issue? Outside of a quick chat in Tynwald, I'll bet my house it's never.

Other than Crogga and the price of stamps, can you name one single core issue that you have pushed on? Particularly one for your local constituents?

I believe you have the best intentions and you say it as it is Stu, but to most of us, it's clear as day that you aren't suitable to be inside the 'bubble' because one year in and you still haven't found your feet or your voice.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Other than Crogga and the price of stamps, can you name one single core issue that you have pushed on? Particularly one for your local constituents?

LOL ,, other than what you have done can you name something else ???   genius.

57 minutes ago, WTF said:

LOL ,, other than what you have done can you name something else ???   genius.

It isn't as simple as that and you know it isn't.

One he's being lobbied hard for and one he gets paid to do.

The man has spent a year fumbling and needs to start putting his head up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

It isn't as simple as that and you know it isn't.

One he's being lobbied hard for and one he gets paid to do.

The man has spent a year fumbling and needs to start putting his head up.

well yes, you'd better tell the other 23 while you're at it

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 12:42 AM, buncha wankas said:

67 million people 650 MPs  that’s approx 10 MPs per million, on that basis we only need 1 mhk. 😆 we just copy paste UK albeit a few years behind them so not sure what ‘same kind of job’ you think is going on.

An MHK telling a member of public they are wrong without considering or determining facts just shows contempt. 
we are equivalent to a local authority in U.K. and we do have access infrastructure, support and higher knowledge database and resources off island. 

Number of constituents makes little difference except in constituency work, which is why UK MPs are expensed so heavily to staff and run constituency offices. Same in my old gig - you’re doing the same job as someone on Radio 2 but with no support staff and 5% of the salary.

On 7/25/2023 at 9:42 AM, Two-lane said:

I was referring to the percentage. Nearly 40% of the Tynwald vote is a single block vote.

8/24 of Keys and fewer in Tynwald.

3 hours ago, NoTailT said:

By saying there is nothing you want or need from CoMin confirms my suspicions that you- right now- are riding the £70k train.

When was the last time you personally spoke to either Alf, Allinson or Johnston personally on an important issue? Outside of a quick chat in Tynwald, I'll bet my house it's never.

I believe you have the best intentions and you say it as it is Stu, but to most of us, it's clear as day that you aren't suitable to be inside the 'bubble' because one year in and you still haven't found your feet or your voice.

Where is your house as I appear to own it now? I’ve had meetings I think with every member of CoMin, I probably attended six with the Chief Minister and others in the last week, a few of them 1:1. I’m certainly not going to list the things I’ve done for constituents, most have had a positive outcome but there have been a handful I’ve not taken on or progressed as I thought them without merit and said so.

Please understand that whilst I’m a member of Tynwald I’m not an MF mole prepared to report back at every opportunity to curry favour. Nor am I prepared to speak in either chamber unless I have something pertinent to add. In fact, the people who listen more and speak less are the ones I take most notice of.

48 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Number of constituents makes little difference except in constituency work, which is why UK MPs are expensed so heavily to staff and run constituency offices. Same in my old gig - you’re doing the same job as someone on Radio 2 but with no support staff and 5% of the salary.

Well the basic salary of a UK MP (650 for a population of 67.75 million = 104,231 per MP) is £86,584.  The basic salary of an MHK (24 for a population of 84,069 = 3,503 per MHK) is £71,610, though unlike the UK figure that's not including the 2023 payrise.  

So while the number of people you represent may be near to 5% of theirs (3.4% actually), salary certainly isn't.  In fact MHKs get paid more than members of the Scottish Parliament for example (£67,662).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Where is your house as I appear to own it now? I’ve had meetings I think with every member of CoMin, I probably attended six with the Chief Minister and others in the last week, a few of them 1:1. I’m certainly not going to list the things I’ve done for constituents, most have had a positive outcome but there have been a handful I’ve not taken on or progressed as I thought them without merit and said so.

Please understand that whilst I’m a member of Tynwald I’m not an MF mole prepared to report back at every opportunity to curry favour. Nor am I prepared to speak in either chamber unless I have something pertinent to add. In fact, the people who listen more and speak less are the ones I take most notice of.

Stu, I stood up for you many a year ago about the Sh1t you were getting over buying non Manx milk.

Having said that, and with no axe to grind because I don't live on the island anymore (and WOULD LIKE TO MOVE BACK IF IT IMPROVED) 

I will just say this....

I really don't see a proper democracy now that the civil service has become so powerful on the island.

I voted when I was last resident but saw the futility of it, without a "Block Vote" even Comin cannot override the CS blob

I have had very personal experience of this while I was there and it is really depressing - See JackWhite thread about doing business on the island.

The Islands CS are obsessed with form filling and meetings amongst themselves. 

From my business experience, anyone who spends most of their time in meetings will actually achieve jack shit and todays announcement of yet another "Board" for the DOI is a prime example.

I do no more than 5 meetings a month of about 30 minutes to 1 hour long and get lots of things progressed, the stuff that is in the "Action Column"

Stu, you are not stupid, can't you see all this consultation and meetings is just kicking the can down the road?

Because if all you do is go from one meeting to another you will have no time to actually make things happen?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Your contempt for residents is evident, you are what is wrong with half of this administration, role on the next election, I asked a direct question, you rolled passed it as you have achieved nothing since elected if you had you would have named it. 

3 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

Your contempt for residents is evident, you are what is wrong with half of this administration, role on the next election, I asked a direct question, you rolled passed it as you have achieved nothing since elected if you had you would have named it. 

That's That's lot of mixed up rolls.

Roles' Royce?