Chris Thomas MHK sacked from DOI

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjC__XA7JWAAxW1RkEAHRbIClkQFnoECA4QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gov.im%2Fmedia%2F1373251%2Fiom-doi-final.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1juphM2U11Gmf7BnrU-rlc&opi=89978449

DoI had the Final Beaman Report June 2021, yet never heard anything about it.

Page 99 sums it up nicely and page 33 appears to be the plan. No mention of splitting it up, just adding greater complexity.

But i could be wrong

• Like 1

Mr Thomas was warned the first day he took the job, and numerous times since, that DoI management have a history of lying to their minister and that it will cost him his job if he believes them. Not sure which of the many issues has tipped him out, but it was sadly inevitable. He's probably a sound guy in real life; he is nowhere near the list of worst politicians we've had and the DoI is unmanageable so I hope he takes it alright. 

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, StCatherine said:

Fair bit of chatter that Crogga may have something to do with Chairman Cannans desire to take the reins and that a meeting may have taken place already to pour oil on troubled waters. 

If that’s the case Daphne & climate change mates won’t be happy!

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

She and her mates can do one. Totally inept without a clue. 

It’s about time Alf kicked all of the eco-moaners into touch. He was one of the main drivers behind the bond issue that they’ve now spent on precisely nothing but empty consultants reports. They had their chance. They blew it. Time for real world solutions to take over now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Though the real reason any Minister gets sacked is because the top civil servants want rid of them.

.But are they better off with Alf in charge? He's a tougher nut than Chris T. Of course they wouldn't have know it would be Alf.

As ever it's worth looking at what the press release does and doesn't say:

The Chief Minister Alfred Cannan MHK has confirmed that he has asked Chris Thomas MHK to step down from his role as Minister for Infrastructure. 

The Chief Minister said:

“It has become increasingly clear that the Department of Infrastructure, with its varying range of responsibilities, remains a difficult department to oversee and effectively lead and, as I have made clear previously, is in need of reform.  Whilst I am very grateful for the work that Chris Thomas has undertaken to review some areas of operations, there are many matters that now need to be refreshed and reconsidered to determine a clarity of direction that will ensure the effective delivery of services into the future.  

“It is now therefore my intention to assume (in the short term) Ministerial responsibility for the Department and initiate a more rapid reform process.  This will include consideration of the allocation of responsibility for services across Government and the creation of different oversight mechanisms. 

“I want to thank Chris for his contribution. I have no doubt that he will continue to input effectively on public policy debates and I hope that we can work together again in the future.”

It doesn't make much sense of course.  Chris Thomas has only been in position for just over a year (appointed 16 June 22) and if he has made some progress you'd think leaving him there would be the best thing.  Especially as there's no one to replace him.

As I keep on saying, Cannan seems to subscribe to the establishment mindset that has no idea how to run the government except by giving money to their mates and hoping something good turns up.  Perhaps Thomas has been trying to put a brake on some of the more feckless ideas.  I suspect for example that he's not enthusiastic about the idea of the new Airport Board  as being just another layer of bureaucracy.  but it would provide posts where various chums would be paid and feel important.

A Chief Minister taking over a Ministerial position so he can hand out goodies faster (as the press release hints at) is not a good look.  And may cause all sort of legal problems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kopek said:

.But are they better off with Alf in charge? He's a tougher nut than Chris T. Of course they wouldn't have know it would be Alf.

He's not. He's totally  reliant on positional power to get anything done at all. Most CS will be thinking we only have to survive 2 and a half years maximum. 

Actually Alf has a record of walking away when the going gets tough!