Speculation is not necessary

ADELE

This is at the end of the police update regarding the light aircraft crash which has been recorded by Manx Radio, 3fm and the BBC .   Why so condescending ?   They constantly speak down to the public and tell them what to do far and beyond their remit.   They should stick to keeping law and order.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree. The Bastard squad have completely lost sight of what there actual job is.

They had plod patrolling the beach earlier to keep people away when the incident was at the back of Bradda head. They’ve got so little to do they resort to bully boy tactics and general East German containment 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We must be the only place in the British Isles without a free press/media. All serious incidents or anything politically sensitive is immediately embargoed by the police or relative government department. There's still no word on the report into sex education at QE2 high school; and what happened at the Southern Hundred (Besides naming the deceased) last week has still not been released to the media. The investigation of course might take months and may never be fully reported. We're still awaiting the outcome of the Mercer and Bray Hill incidents years ago. All very hush-hush, like everything here.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Gizo said:

They had plod patrolling the beach earlier to keep people away when the incident was at the back of Bradda head. They’ve got so little to do they resort to bully boy tactics and general East German containment 

Whether or not the police were throwing their weight around, it would not have been appropriate for people to be partying on the beach as the smoke rose in the distance.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

All very hush-hush, like everything here.

I don't think we are that different to the UK.

There must be thousand's of news reports that appear in the local, regional and national UK news about events when they first happen but very few actually get followed up.  I have followed a number of reports from a professional point of view that have been reported in the UK media and never followed up.  In many of these cases there is an outcome but either the media have lost interest or the outcome did not fit their "agenda" and therefore never got reported.  There are also plenty of examples of the UK Government burying reports or significantly delaying or redacting them. 

You mention sex education at QEII.  Did you follow up on the story about the "cat pupil" at Rye College?  No?  Well the report found “the concerns relating to the teaching of [relationship, health and sex education] that led to this inspection do not reflect pupils’ normal experiences at school," and 

“Pupils are taught how to debate contentious subjects. Most pupils learn to do so respectfully and maturely.  For example, pupils are clear that there are contested views about gender, sexuality and whether these are assigned at birth. One pupil summed up the views of many when he said, ‘We are taught to think for ourselves, but also to respect everybody’s point of view.’”

Do things get hidden?  Yes, they do.  Is it a local issue to the Isle of Man?  No, however, we have a community where it is much harder to keep secrets because people love skeet.

Yes, because the police asking people to stay away from the site of a plane crash and the police asking people not to post brainless ill-informed speculation is EXACTLY the same as living in a police state.

I thought it’d be fucking obvious why the police didn’t want Port Erin beach full of amateur sleuths with drones and telephoto lenses, but clearly not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Really are a sensitive bunch on this forum.

They’re even trolling the other thread to score points. It’s fairly low across the board. I’m sure we’ll all find out in time there isn’t really much need to speculate - it’s a clearly plane crash. Hopefully nobody died. We’ll all find out in due course what happened. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ringy Rose said:

I thought it’d be fucking obvious why the police didn’t want Port Erin beach full of amateur sleuths with drones and telephoto lenses, but clearly not.

A drone or a boat are the only ways anyone could see anything at where it looks like. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I don't think we are that different to the UK.

There must be thousand's of news reports that appear in the local, regional and national UK news about events when they first happen but very few actually get followed up.  I have followed a number of reports from a professional point of view that have been reported in the UK media and never followed up.  In many of these cases there is an outcome but either the media have lost interest or the outcome did not fit their "agenda" and therefore never got reported.  There are also plenty of examples of the UK Government burying reports or significantly delaying or redacting them. 

You mention sex education at QEII.  Did you follow up on the story about the "cat pupil" at Rye College?  No?  Well the report found “the concerns relating to the teaching of [relationship, health and sex education] that led to this inspection do not reflect pupils’ normal experiences at school," and 

“Pupils are taught how to debate contentious subjects. Most pupils learn to do so respectfully and maturely.  For example, pupils are clear that there are contested views about gender, sexuality and whether these are assigned at birth. One pupil summed up the views of many when he said, ‘We are taught to think for ourselves, but also to respect everybody’s point of view.’”

Do things get hidden?  Yes, they do.  Is it a local issue to the Isle of Man?  No, however, we have a community where it is much harder to keep secrets because people love skeet.

The Rye College 'report' was in the Guardian, who have denied it from day one. I seem to recall the 'report' didn't even address the 'cat pupil' story. 

57 minutes ago, ADELE said:

This is at the end of the police update regarding the light aircraft crash which has been recorded by Manx Radio, 3fm and the BBC .   Why so condescending ?   They constantly speak down to the public and tell them what to do far and beyond their remit.   They should stick to keeping law and order.

The will no doubt be appealing for information and witnesses? Appealing for CCTV or mobile phone footage? 

14 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The Rye College 'report' was in the Guardian, who have denied it from day one. I seem to recall the 'report' didn't even address the 'cat pupil' story.

It did. And it turns out the story was utter bullshit invented by a headbanger with an agenda and seized on by the far-right Turning Point UK.

Same here, the QEII investigation showed it was utter bullshit invented by a God-bothered with an agenda and seized on by the far-right.

But, as always, the fact the authorities quickly determined that the obvious bullshit turned out to be obvious bullshit is taken by the usual suspects as further evidence of some sort of cover up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It was also reported in The Times (behind a Paywall) and also in Schools Week 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rye-college-school-in-cat-pupil-row-gets-glowing-ofsted-report-6jcqdbdrz

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/ofsted-has-no-serious-concerns-about-rye-college-after-gender-row/

Probably others as well but as far as I know the outcome was never reported by the Daily Mail, GB News or other outlets of that ilk.

• Thanks 1