Speculation is not necessary

ADELE

10 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

And- at the risk of sounding like a stuck record- anyone who needs to know their friend/parent/sibling/partner/child/colleague has died will already know. So, yet again, it simply comes down to nosiness. Wanting to know, not needing to know.

I'm afraid this is nonsense and simply not how society works.  While close family need to know first and hopefully before the knowledge becomes publicly available, people have a whole network of wider contacts in society: more casual friends and acquaintances; work contacts; friends of friends and relations; people who they share interests with or know through hobbies; people they know through social media and so on.  You can't expect the family to inform all these, it has to be done through the media.

And it's not just about those who have died either.  When someone dies in a public way like this, people worry over who was involved.  So release of name(s) as early as possible means that there is reassurance that someone who might have been affected, wasn't.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm afraid this is nonsense and simply not how society works.

It is exactly how society works. If you need to know you will know.

In other less dramatic situations- if the deceased had simply had a heart attack at home, for instance- there would be no media coverage, no playing of Guess Who on social media and bulletin boards, no demands that the public has the right to know who it was. Yet the people who needed to know would still know.

It’s all just nosiness. I get why people are nosy/curious, it was a pretty dramatic incident after all and it’s human nature to want to know who was involved, but it doesn’t stop it being mere nosiness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Call it what you will, but we are social beings and live on an Island.

I wonder how many regular members of this forum wondered might it be our Stu? He's the only person I know who drives a plane. Our resident forum ghoul raised the possibility and I was thankful it was confirmed not to be Stu.

For lots of reasons, knowing is better than not knowing. Simple as that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's got absolutely nothing to do with nosiness, planes or motorbikes.

It's about living in an open society where the public are kept informed and there's a free media and decent news service. We're the only place in Great Britain that has never had that. Some of you on here don't get that because you've never thought of it or understood what it means.

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 3:49 PM, Gizo said:

Totally agree. The Bastard squad have completely lost sight of what there actual job is.

They had plod patrolling the beach earlier to keep people away when the incident was at the back of Bradda head. They’ve got so little to do they resort to bully boy tactics and general East German containment 

Debris (aluminium/GRP/Glass) petrol, oil .. all possibly floating about in the bay.

But, you have had a 'updragging' where you think the world owes you everything and are an entitled prick.

The Police had a job to do.  They closed the area down for that reason.  Not to stop people like you getting likes and comments on Youtube, Twitter and Twat-toc.  

The following day the beach was open to all as the possible dangers had been assessed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Which makes it very obvious why no name has been released, there has been no opportunity for a formal identification.

People really just need to let people do their jobs and stop assuming a cover up.

Just now, Alberttwatmunch said:

Which makes it very obvious why no name has been released, there has been no opportunity for a formal identification.

People really just need to let people do their jobs and stop assuming a cover up.

Again, I wasn't demanding a name just meaningful information.  In fact, I did say in earlier post that perhaps one reason not to release the identity was that they had not, at that time, recovered the body and that would be reason enough not to.  

I was not assuming a cover up, but poor communication on an incident that had  very high public interest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Again, I wasn't demanding a name just meaningful information.  In fact, I did say in earlier post that perhaps one reason not to release the identity was that they had not, at that time, recovered the body and that would be reason enough not to.  

I was not assuming a cover up, but poor communication on an incident that had  very high public interest.

I didn’t mention you, and wasn’t referring to you 🤷‍♂️

I agree there's no need for anyone apart from the family to know the name, anything else is just nosiness.

What I would say though is that this is the IOM. Regardless of what the police or media say, you've done well to not know who it is by now. I heard the day after, despite not particularly wanting to know, I'd never heard of the person. Fairly standard for most of these situation as far as I can see. Not many people are shocked by a media release. 

• Like 1

The problem is that people will not only speculate about the who but also the why.

That leads to further distress for the family and friends of the deceased.

I have been in a similar situation and it is awful to watch people pass comment on something they have no idea about.  They will go "oh, it must have been x" that caused it without any clue.

• Thanks 1