Speculation is not necessary

ADELE

1 minute ago, Fred the shred said:

All we need to know or rather would like to know is if everyone involved is OK i.e not seriously hurt.   It was great to get good news about the sidecar outfit riders quite quickly it was reassuring.   This speculation nonsense is just that unnecessary and condescending.

Correct. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile, someone half inches a safe from a shop in Strand Street and made off in a VW beetle (or similar).  Yet, the very next day no appeals for  any sightings of a car giving off sparks and leaving a huge groove in the tarmac (presumably). 

However visitors are warned to lock their tents.

• Like 1

If a road is closed for more than 4 hours on the island...all the speculation you need to know is that someone has either died, or might well.

I can understand the police trying to protect relatives and close love ones after an accident. But after a day or so, there's no reason not to release general information regarding an incident or crime. Seems a bit of political control freakery otherwise...like a policy to keep bad news to a minimum on island.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If a road is closed for more than 4 hours on the island...all the speculation you need to know is that someone has either died, or might well.

I can understand the police trying to protect relatives and close love ones after an accident. But after a day or so, there's no reason not to release general information regarding an incident or crime. Seems a bit of political control freakery otherwise...like a policy to keep bad news to a minimum on island.

There is every reason to manage publicity sensitively to protect relatives and carefully to protect any investigation, that is correct, of course.  Nor is anyone asking for all the gory (or salacious) details to be publicised.

I think all we are asking for is not to be treated as gossipy idiots.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Reading the Police post at 1735, it still implied medical treatment was ongoing at the scene so maybe that's the reason it was closed for 4+ hours. 

Oh hang on, am I speculating? Oops.

People can say (or speculate) whatever the fuck they want. Our forefathers fought and paid the ultimate price for us to enjoy that particular right. 

I can assure everyone here, if a tragedy strikes a loved one down, the last thing you'll be doing is scrolling comments on iom today FB, to see what Debbie from Ballasalla thinks. The "think of the families" point is a fallacy, that only allows the police to take actions with no accountability, or public scrutiny. They work for us!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HeteroErectus said:

People can say (or speculate) whatever the fuck they want. Our forefathers fought and paid the ultimate price for us to enjoy that particular right. 

I can assure everyone here, if a tragedy strikes a loved one down, the last thing you'll be doing is scrolling comments on iom today FB, to see what Debbie from Ballasalla thinks. The "think of the families" point is a fallacy, that only allows the police to take actions with no accountability, or public scrutiny. They work for us!

You'd be surprised when the story about the lady outside the Palace broke one of her daughters (who lives in the Uk) was replying to comments saying what she had heard happened 

52 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

You'd be surprised when the story about the lady outside the Palace broke one of her daughters (who lives in the Uk) was replying to comments saying what she had heard happened 

If we’re going non-native stories, you’ll be surprised about the Bristol murder whereby the police due to newspaper speculation arrested an innocent neighbour and basically ruined his life. 

Can I just say, it is good to see the IOM RPU page on facebook has managed to survive the majority of practice week without using #herbert or calling anyone herbert / being generally disrepectful. 

Let us not forget this incident and the loss of respect that many including myself have still not regained for our police force since. 

Heres a reminder of some of the finest Manx cops from last year. 

unprofessional.jpg.b614780420a155200f20944aa669449c.jpg

Herbert 1.JPG

learned their lesson.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

If we’re going non-native stories, you’ll be surprised about the Bristol murder whereby the police due to newspaper speculation arrested an innocent neighbour and basically ruined his life. 

What do you mean non native story? 

20 hours ago, Gladys said:

Meanwhile, someone half inches a safe from a shop in Strand Street and made off in a VW beetle (or similar).  Yet, the very next day no appeals for  any sightings of a car giving off sparks and leaving a huge groove in the tarmac (presumably). 

However visitors are warned to lock their tents.

Errrr. Tuesday early morning you say? Anyone had a look at Crazy Dave’s last viewing?

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Why do you care about what's happening with people you don't know? If you know them fair enough but if you don't then I don't see the need personally 

Wow, that just typifies the attitude.  We shouldn't bother reading the news at all on that basis.  

I have said, repeatedly, that the public does not need to have all the details, that any announcement needs to have regard to the relatives and should not hamper the investigation. 

The attitude you display is ignoring human nature.  It is also ignoring the assistance  with an inquiry from the public that carefully managed publicity can provide. Not to mention the trust an open (insofar as it can be) dialogue between the police and public can engender. 

But, of course, if the police cannot be arsed, they won't get those benefits.  I am sure St Derek of Flint understands the value of careful public engagement and has posted as much on FB. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

All we need to know or rather would like to know is if everyone involved is OK i.e not seriously hurt.   It was great to get good news about the sidecar outfit riders quite quickly it was reassuring.   This speculation nonsense is just that unnecessary and condescending.

@thommo2010

Just quoting the post which I replied 'Correct' to. 

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Wow, that just typifies the attitude.  We shouldn't bother reading the news at all on that basis.  

I have said, repeatedly, that the public does not need to have all the details, that any announcement needs to have regard to the relatives and should not hamper the investigation. 

The attitude you display is ignoring human nature.  It is also ignoring the assistance  with an inquiry from the public that carefully managed publicity can provide. Not to mention the trust an open (insofar as it can be) dialogue between the police and public can engender. 

But, of course, if the police cannot be arsed, they won't get those benefits.  I am sure St Derek of Flint understands the value of careful public engagement and has posted as much on FB. 

I'm not talking about police appeals or statements I just mean in general needing to know how people you don't know are doing.

Unless it's my family or friends then as far as I'm concerned it's nothing to do with me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1