Speculation is not necessary

ADELE

8 hours ago, woolley said:

Or even a young Home Affairs Minister?

Nah, that was relatively harmless. Predating that, a head of a Douglas Council department warned the employees not to drink too much at Christmas, and then promptly and very publicly got done that very evening for drink driving. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

What if it prevents 1 crime. What if it just makes one person think… worth it. IMHO 

What if 30 000 people read it and think, ‘who the bloody hell do you think you are?’

There are ways to care for your community and there are ways to encourage them to better behaviour or health.

Taking the ‘nanny or bullying’ (we know better than you) approach isn’t one of them and I would argue has the opposite effect  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I use my VHF when on and around the water for emergency use. Channel 16...

If you've got the necessary ship licence via OfCom you're all good.

I thought you were referring to the *other* VHF emergency channel. You absolutely mustn't listen to that.

(The Maritime & Coastguard Agency listed the frequency of channel 0 in a freedom of information request from 2018 which is publicly available...)

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Predating that, a head of a Douglas Council department warned the employees not to drink too much at Christmas, and then promptly and very publicly got done that very evening for drink driving. 

Or the other one who got caught twice in the same week having been told. 

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

What if 30 000 people read it and think, ‘who the bloody hell do you think you are?’

There are ways to care for your community and there are ways to encourage them to better behaviour or health.

Taking the ‘nanny or bullying’ (we know better than you) approach isn’t one of them and I would argue has the opposite effect  

It's the modern way, isn't it? Being seen to do something, rather then actually doing it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gizo said:

what utter horse shit.  so some incident miles away and the police can stop somebody having fun somewhere else. Well if you agree with that we might as well embrace nazis now. 

Actually, they can't. 

I remember a CI instructing me to stop people walking along the prom at the back of King Bill's after a plane crash at sea c.2001.

After being asked 'why? And 'under what act and section?' It went a bit quiet.

The rules on cordons are pretty flaky in some circumstances

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hoops said:

It's the modern way, isn't it? Being seen to do something, rather then actually doing it.

And yet, the very best way of influencing true change of behaviour is by example.

And we all know how that’s going…

10 hours ago, woolley said:

It strikes me as both sad and amusing whenever I see posts from these people who have departed the Island but can't quite let go. It's as though they still crave to feel involved, or need to validate their iffy decision to leave by hanging around here telling everyone how shocking the Isle of Man is, how backward the Manx are, and how wonderfully fulfilling life is in their new surroundings.

Perhaps they harbour regret that dare not speak it's name even to themselves, or suffer from a form of immaturity in having to take yet another pop. Quite a few of them did pretty well out of being here too, and still draw benefits from their time here.

I wonder if any Island residents who came from outside do the same thing in reverse on social media outlets back where they came from. Plenty of places are so dire that it would be almost a full time job. I rather doubt that they do, somehow. Most people are just busy getting on with their lives and don't want to gloat.

There are quite a number who have gone down this tiresome road over the years, and Bladerunner is only the latest. Their contributions are rarely constructive and have an air of misplaced faux triumphalism about them.

I exclude GD4ELI from this criticism. He usually offers interesting and constructive posts.

It's a game of two halves. 

The UK is a shambles, and I commentate on and engage with sorting issues locally here.

What it does do is bring in to really clear perspective just how easy a lot of the IOM issues are to sort out if government actually did something rather than stand around looking at each other. In many respects it is the best place in the world, and could be moreso on many more levels.

The place is my Home, I care about it and the people there. I still have interests there  and want it to be the very best version of itself.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, woolley said:

It strikes me as both sad and amusing whenever I see posts from these people who have departed the Island but can't quite let go. It's as though they still crave to feel involved, or need to validate their iffy decision to leave by hanging around here telling everyone how shocking the Isle of Man is, how backward the Manx are, and how wonderfully fulfilling life is in their new surroundings.

It’s even more galling because before he left for the green grass, he posted some really engaging and interesting stuff. Now they’re just clouded by grudge and scorn. Proper turn off. 

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I mean in all honesty do you read a post from the police and get that upset about it? do what 99.9% of the population do either ignore it or read it and move on with your life.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So, what's the point?

to give out information, if people are honestly getting upset because at some point the police might say don't drink to much or ask people not to speculate then those people need to find more things to do in their life.