Speculation is not necessary

ADELE

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

One can only speculate as to why the name of the pilot has not yet been released, although their family is receiving support from the family liaison unit, or whatever they are called.

It is this very tight management of information that anywhere else would very forthcoming that breeds speculation and suspicion. 

Maybe there are off-island family members they've not yet been able to contact? I don't think I'd want to find out about a loved one's demise via the BBC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zarley said:

Maybe there are off-island family members they've not yet been able to contact? I don't think I'd want to find out about a loved one's demise via the BBC.

Of course not, but you say that on the press release, surely, not just that the family is being supported. 

7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m just saying if someone is jumping up and down claiming it’s all an IOM conspiracy then they can come to their own conclusions. 

I am not jumping up and down or alleging conspiracies, just pointing out the very poor information management that, despite saying don't speculate, will lead to speculation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coming to this story very late (apparently): so what happened?  Plane crashes (unfortunate), deaths (even more unfortunate) but has a D-Notice been issued by the plods?

Unless it was on a CIA extradition flight, 'Special forces' injection or even a jolly around the Rock - what's all the secrecy for?

OK _ disregard all after - just read a report on BBC news site. Reasons seem pretty obvious.

Edited by Utah 01
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I am not jumping up and down or alleging conspiracies, just pointing out the very poor information management that, despite saying don't speculate, will lead to speculation. 

Whether the police say don't speculate or not isn't going to stop people speculating, I am unsure as to why anyone not connected with this incident would want to know who the pilot is.

33 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Coming to this story very late (apparently): so what happened?  Plane crashes (unfortunate), deaths (even more unfortunate) but has a D-Notice been issued by the plods?

Unless it was on a CIA extradition flight, 'Special forces' injection or even a jolly around the Rock - what's all the secrecy for?

What secrecy is there? there has been a plane crash it is being investigated to find out the circumstances, once that investigation has been concluded the details will be passed to the Coronor who may well instruct an inquest.

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I am unsure as to why anyone not connected with this incident would want to know who the pilot is.

quite simply because we live on a small Island where "everyone knows everyone else*" and we care.

We care.

You may not understand that, I don't know.

ETA: personally, I couldn't care less who it is (actually, I do, I just want to put my post into perspective)

* this oft used statement is actually a load of bollocks. I've lived here all my life and these days I can walk the length of Strand Street on a Saturday afternoon and not see anybody I know

• Like 2

4 hours ago, P.K. said:

Hardly strange.

After all, you must have got the idea from somewhere...

I did, Einstein. I got the idea from those who have gone away then feel compelled to post disparaging crap about the Island on here. You know. The subject I was commenting on in the first place!

31 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Whether the police say don't speculate or not isn't going to stop people speculating, I am unsure as to why anyone not connected with this incident would want to know who the pilot is.

You are missing the point. 

I do not need or want to know who the poor unfortunate was who, presumably, died. 

My point is that the press releases could simply have said the identity will not be released until family members are notified  or whatever reason.  Perhaps they want to recover the body or some other reason.  That would be thoughtfully managed communication, not just saying don't speculate then provide ill conceived information which will inevitably lead to the very thing the police don't want - speculation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I am unsure as to why anyone not connected with this incident would want to know who the pilot is.

Absolutely this.  Is it just an IOM thing to be so interested?  I really don’t get it.

If and when someone I know well enough for it to have any sort of impact on my life unfortunately dies I find out very quickly through friends, family, colleagues etc.

If I don’t learn of a death through my own social circle or contacts it is because it has absolutely no impact on my life.

I wonder what it says about the state of someone’s mind that they feel they need to know who was involved and then try and draw some tenuous link back to the individual?  Is it something to do with wanting to feel involved?  Very strange

Edited by Alberttwatmunch
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

It is this very tight management of information that anywhere else would very forthcoming that breeds speculation and suspicion.

It’s usually the family who determine when this information is released. 

And- at the risk of sounding like a stuck record- anyone who needs to know their friend/parent/sibling/partner/child/colleague has died will already know. So, yet again, it simply comes down to nosiness. Wanting to know, not needing to know.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alberttwatmunch said:

Is it just an IOM thing to be so interested? I really don’t get it... Very strange. 

It used to be known as 'skeet', where certain locals would be wetting their pants to be first with the gossip so they could feel entitled telling everyone else their news. 

• Like 2