Manx Utilities announce plans for onshore renewables

Mann O Mann

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-utilities-announces-plans-for-onshore-renewables/

There appears to finally be some movement on the renewables .

My personal non expert opinion is that onshore is better than offshore due to reducing the long term maintenance cost exposure with the assets being in the sea.

My concern is who will pay for it and what are the hidden costs of gearing up our grid to take electricity direct from the wind turbines?

I read in the press the UK is not taking some of the electricity provided by the wind farms as the electrical infrastructure is not geared up for it whilst the government is still having to pay the wind farm operator for the electricity .

it would be good to have clarity on what the real cost to the tax payer will be ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mann O Mann said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-utilities-announces-plans-for-onshore-renewables/

There appears to finally be some movement on the renewables .

My personal non expert opinion is that onshore is better than offshore due to reducing the long term maintenance cost exposure with the assets being in the sea.

My concern is who will pay for it and what are the hidden costs of gearing up our grid to take electricity direct from the wind turbines?

I read in the press the UK is not taking some of the electricity provided by the wind farms as the electrical infrastructure is not geared up for it whilst the government is still having to pay the wind farm operator for the electricity .

it would be good to have clarity on what the real cost to the tax payer will be ?

FINALLY!  All sounds borderline sensible.  I'm assuming the green bond will be paying. 

49 minutes ago, Mann O Mann said:

Depending on where they get located, some of that infrastructure may be in place.

One of the UK's problems is that the power gets generated rather far from where it's consumed in some cases. Lots of wind power comes from up North but is needed down South, and moving it long distances gets expensive.

It has much less distance to go to be used on the Island, and the cabling already exists to sell it off the Island.

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Depending on where they get located, some of that infrastructure may be in place.

One of the UK's problems is that the power gets generated rather far from where it's consumed in some cases. Lots of wind power comes from up North but is needed down South, and moving it long distances gets expensive.

It has much less distance to go to be used on the Island, and the cabling already exists to sell it off the Island.

So our electricity, which will be far more expensive per kWh than massive established offshore windfarms, will be plugged into the UK grid 'up North', where it is not needed?

Selling coal to Newcastle?  

I can't wait for the blackouts, brown outs and little kiddie voiced Manx Radio ads telling us we only have so much windy and shiny power on the island and we have to preserve every Watt to keep the improtant stuff like HNWI's, CGO, the prsion and hospital working.

They'll alternate very nicely with the hosepipe bands every summer.

On the other hand i could be wrong and we'll all be paying 8p kWh and fighting to buy £26k EV's with the savings.

32 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Sounds like they've waved goodbye to Crogga.

No they haven’t, Alf sacked Chris Thomas so he could change license agreement & met personally with Crogga & Kate, Stu & Clare on Monday to progress plans! Read the threads or news!

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

So our electricity, which will be far more expensive per kWh than massive established offshore windfarms, will be plugged into the UK grid 'up North', where it is not needed?

Firstly, you're neglecting how the UK's energy pricing works. The 'peak' generators are the ones who set the price.

Base load, for example, nuclear, will bid low, or even zero, because they can't change on the fly to meet demand. Solar/wind might bid at say, 10p per kWh they provide, and gas will bid 20p per kWh to make up any shortfall of the other two.

Everyone gets paid 20p per kWh because of the marginal pricing structure. Gas often sets the price, as gas plants can respond quickly to changes in demand.

Secondly, Pulrose spends a decent amount of time sending power to the UK, suggesting that it is both viable financially, and in terms of the grid capacity. Remember, you can alter the generation of a gas plant much more easily than other types.

So, when the wind blows, you turn the gas down and sell the wind, and when it doesn't, well, we already know we have enough surplus capacity to be selling anyway.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

I can't wait for the blackouts, brown outs and little kiddie voiced Manx Radio ads telling us we only have so much windy and shiny power on the island and we have to preserve every Watt to keep the improtant stuff like HNWI's, CGO, the prsion and hospital working.

They'll alternate very nicely with the hosepipe bands every summer.

On the other hand i could be wrong and we'll all be paying 8p kWh and fighting to buy £26k EV's with the savings.

I’ll be ok. I already stocked up on batteries from Dealz. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Firstly, you're neglecting how the UK's energy pricing works. The 'peak' generators are the ones who set the price.

Base load, for example, nuclear, will bid low, or even zero, because they can't change on the fly to meet demand. Solar/wind might bid at say, 10p per kWh they provide, and gas will bid 20p per kWh to make up any shortfall of the other two.

Everyone gets paid 20p per kWh because of the marginal pricing structure. Gas often sets the price, as gas plants can respond quickly to changes in demand.

Secondly, Pulrose spends a decent amount of time sending power to the UK, suggesting that it is both viable financially, and in terms of the grid capacity. Remember, you can alter the generation of a gas plant much more easily than other types.

So, when the wind blows, you turn the gas down and sell the wind, and when it doesn't, well, we already know we have enough surplus capacity to be selling anyway.

This sounds more hopeful..

23 minutes ago, asitis said:

Please god let them get something right once, just once, not too much to ask is it ?

Not too much to ask, too much for our bunch to answer though.

Hadn't the investor money been returned?  Who knows if they will be prepared to stump up again?

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not too much to ask, too much for our bunch to answer though.

Hadn't the investor money been returned?  Who knows if they will be prepared to stump up again?

I don't know any of the details Gladys, mine was just a distant pitiful taxpayers voice in the swirling mists praying for sanctuary ! 🤣

• Haha 1