Manx Utilities announce plans for onshore renewables

Mann O Mann

4 hours ago, HeliX said:

We're beholden to issues in their supply chain and fluctuations in their prices way out of our control. Having natural generation on island offsets that

Yes, I understand that, but that is the case for everything else we 'import'.  Is the cost of being able to generate naturally on-island really justified, or would it be better to pull in by the interconnector? 

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, I understand that, but that is the case for everything else we 'import'.  Is the cost of being able to generate naturally on-island really justified, or would it be better to pull in by the interconnector? 

Financially we have no choice, it has to be the connector with gas backup. Gas will still be required for a long time anyway for legacy reasons.

In reality I suspect that MUA know and prefer this arrangement.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cissolt said:

You mean the power station that put is in this situation?  Run it until at least 2035 which is when it's due to be retired.

Lest we forget.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2005/jun/30/11

Anyone advocating spending 1.5 billion of tax payers money when reserves are running dry is detached from reality.

We can't recruit staff due to the high cost of living, average rent is over £1000 per month. 

We need affordable housing now, not a wind turbine to satisfy a spreadsheet in Brussels.

The crunch will come when govt realise we can't staff the two new nursing homes, recruit any Gaps and have chronic shortages in manxcare..oh wait, we already do.

£500 million on affordable housing solves the population problem, health care staffing problems and puts more money into the economy due to lower rents.

Wind turbines provide a bit of power, if it's windy but not too windy.

The 2005 article gives an overview of the MEA debacle.  It is hard to fathom how a robust judicious investigation was never carried out.  The end quote from Proffitt has not aged well:

Asked about the criticism he, and the rest of the MEA board, have been receiving, Mr Proffitt dismissed it as a "storm in a tea cup. I have been on the receiving end of a concerted campaign to discredit me. Everyone acknowledges that we delivered a first class power station at a time when the island's old infrastructure was falling apart."

Mr Proffitt left MEA in 2004.

18 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

The 2005 article gives an overview of the MEA debacle.  It is hard to fathom how a robust judicious investigation was never carried out.  The end quote from Proffitt has not aged well:

Asked about the criticism he, and the rest of the MEA board, have been receiving, Mr Proffitt dismissed it as a "storm in a tea cup. I have been on the receiving end of a concerted campaign to discredit me. Everyone acknowledges that we delivered a first class power station at a time when the island's old infrastructure was falling apart."

Mr Proffitt left MEA in 2004.

Yes there were lots of carpets raised and brooms used ! It was clear that an enquiry was never going to be full and frank simply because of what one party knew about the other !

The whole sorry saga has in my opinion made the debate about renewables even more difficult, as factored into any discussion there is an elephant in the room, i.e. the legacy debt we are still saddled with !

For me personally it is hard to support the onshore wind turbines viewing them as another nail in our financial coffin !

It would be oh so nice to sit back and be cosy in the knowledge that proponents of another costly scheme have the consumers at heart, but the financials of the scheme coupled with debt look very negative for the consumers.

I am all in favour of renewables and cleaner energy don't get me wrong, but realism and financial survival can be just as damaging as CO2 to a country as small as ours.

I do hope that the commercial interconnection possibilities have been fully looked at, as I can't see us able to retire fossil fuel generation on island any time soon.

The world may have engineered itself into a climate crisis and here Profit and company in Government at the time have created 'the perfect storm' !

FWIW.

• Like 8

One or two political careers had no price ticket either. This situation is the long-term legacy that these people left the population of this Island, it should not be forgotten.

If, as some posters suggest, the move to wind turbine generation could see electricity prices double then that does not auger well for numbers of either population or businesses here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kopek said:

Our generation on the Island may not be truly 'green' but until we can be assured of such from the inter connector, should we carry on until the dying days of gas generation?

Probably a compromise is requied but not so much as to add credence to the 'climate deniers'? As a prt of the 'World' we have to do 'our' bit, however small!!!

There's no room for compromise though. The boiler ban is a prime example, adding costs to purchase a house and massive delays due to a lack of staff capable of fitting these systems at scale.  

Government keep telling us that hard decisions need to be made, but they can't stop spending and they are not being honest about the real costs to the people.  The quoted electricity rate is a pipedream.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

One or two political careers had no price ticket either. This situation is the long-term legacy that these people left the population of this Island, it should not be forgotten.

If, as some posters suggest, the move to wind turbine generation could see electricity prices double then that does not augur well for numbers of either population or businesses here.

Have the posters who say electricity prices will double any experience, knowledge and financial forecast to back up these assertions or just pub talk or part of Daphne’s argument?

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Have the posters who say electricity prices will double any experience, knowledge and financial forecast to back up these assertions or just pub talk or part of Daphne’s argument?

Well, if you want to go back a couple of pages and look at @cissolt's post below, there appears to be some evidence to suggest that they will?

Nobody told us that the existing power station would cost us £500M either.

Screenshot_20240130-093831_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

Well my post did say as long as it wasn't at daft cost to the public. But we've seen what war does to oil and gas prices. Doesn't do that to our own wind and solar...

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

Especially if our interconnect is to an English 'grid' that is not particularly 'Green'! Not6 my particular preference but would give credence to the 'Pro CO2 brigade', OK, no green energy from the UK, carry on with our gas turbine to the 70's!!!!!

It's relatively green compared to others: https://grid.iamkate.com/

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Well, the price has already doubled dud to the sudden massive increase in the price of gas last year. That price has fallen and stablised, but the electricity price is still double. 

15 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Running a gas powered power station just as back up. That's no cheap option. Have you seen how much they spend maintaining it? 

Even if they install your beloved white elephant windmills, the gaspower station will be kept as a backup. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Even if they install your beloved white elephant windmills, the gaspower station will be kept as a backup. 

The truly baffling part is that the climate team believe that biomass energy generation is an acceptable form of 'green energy'.  Even the lefty guardian have shone light on the damage drax is doing to the planet 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The truly baffling part is that the climate team believe that biomass energy generation is an acceptable form of 'green energy'.  Even the lefty guardian have shone light on the damage drax is doing to the planet 

Agreed, but biomass is better than fossil.

There are answers, but governments wont listen

Edited by Cambon
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Cambon said:

Maybe. But not after the second interconnector. The plan says power station gone by 2030

Will it? Wont it?

We don't know, but that's the plan