Manx Utilities announce plans for onshore renewables

Mann O Mann

13 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

and takes land to grow and energy to harvest it.

IOM requires 362GW/h*

1GWh requires 118 acres of woodland per year. So say 25% was biomass generation that would be 118/4 x 362 acres per year.  That is 10,000 acres of wood to be harvested per year. 

Willow which is a SRC (short rotation crop) takes 2-3 years to mature to a useable size so say you have a 3 year cycle that would be 30,000 acres total.

10,000 acres is rougly 15 sq. miles so 45 square miles of dense machine harvestable willow forest. The IOM is approx. 220 sq. miles.  So about 20% of the land would provide 25% of electricity generation.

And once you've got a 3 year cycle running then it becomes carbon neutral by taking up as much CO2 as it takes up more or less.

Guess that would mean foresting the northern plain and praying that a monoculture crop doesn't eventually succumb to disease, pests, fire,drought or deteriorating soil conditions 

*Before we convert all vehicles with EV, repalce all IC boilers with heat pumps and gas fires/ovens/hobs with electric.

Interesting stuff. Can you tell me how you arrived at 362GW/h? All this MW/GW stuff baffles me.

5 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

I must have imagined the sacharine MUA ads on MR about we only have so much water.... as if it doesn't come in in bottles by the truckload every day. And the almost yearly hosepipe bans are also a phantom of my imagination too. 

On all 3 occasions the water stocks didn't get below 60% did they? So yes, I believe  it was a phantom (or more correctly figment) of your imagination.

I remember the people prince on TV saying it was precautionary. 

23 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

We'll be waiting 20 years for Daphne & Co to have the humility to admit that they've made a mistake and removing any taxes here will be anathema to Treasury.

There's a local concern on FB going by the name of "Sustain - IoM" who are heavily pushing the windfarm agenda.

Precisely what their connection or skin in the game is I don't know but I doubt that they exist for charity. Fortunately there are a few contributors to their articles who are debunking a great deal of their claims and spurious figures.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

We'll be waiting 20 years for Daphne & Co to have the humility to admit that they've made a mistake and removing any taxes here will be anathema to Treasury.

There's a local concern on FB going by the name of "Sustain - IoM" who are heavily pushing the windfarm agenda.

Precisely what their connection or skin in the game is I don't know but I doubt that they exist for charity. Fortunately there are a few contributors to their articles who are debunking a great deal of their claims and spurious figures.

It's the gogreen eco zealot.  Obviously angling for some government contracts out of the wind 'farm'

Wasn't he involved in the Braddan community centre build?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Manx Utilirss have announced a 5.1% reduction to electricity prices... but as always there's a sting in the tail, standing charges and other fees will still increase by 5.7% 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/electricity-prices-are-going-down/

Or it's just not going up by the 5.1%. So not actually a reduction and not the planned rise? But SCs, water and Sewerage going up by 5.7%?

37 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Or it's just not going up by the 5.1%. So not actually a reduction and not the planned rise? But SCs, water and Sewerage going up by 5.7%?

Well it says clearly they’re going down by 5,1% so it’s good news. With wages glimpsing by 6% in the business I’m surprised other charges aren’t going up by more.

55 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Don't they need money to pay off their debt? Or is that all forgotten now?

They were already paying the debt. The increase was due to the massive increase in gas prices. I have said this all along. Now is gas is cheap again, no need for rise in electricity prices.

It's not that complicated is it?

Current standard domestic tariff is 30p per unit. It was due to go up to 31.7p on 01/04 but is now going down to 28.5.

Standing charge is going up by 1.3p per day from 23.3p to 24.6p. That was announced way back in December when the increase to 31.7p was announced.

IMG_5135.jpeg