Manx Utilities announce plans for onshore renewables

Mann O Mann

31 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I wonder how much of that increase in the standing charge is to pay for the roll out of the smart meters.

The smart meters are paid for by borrowing, so a fair amount I would say.

Remember though that the smart meters are replacing old meters that are passed their sell by date and also they won't need to manually read meters any more. So there would have been a cost in fitting non smart meters.

There will still be an extra cost though.

33 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I wonder how much of that increase in the standing charge is to pay for the roll out of the smart meters.

Luckily Alex has already stated that the cost would not be passed on:

About 50,000 analogue devices will be replaced with smart metres, at a cost of £18.2m.,The project will begin in 2020 and last four years, with the island's 8,000 key meters the first to be upgraded.,Dr Alex Allinson, chairman of Manx Utilities, said the cost would "not be passed onto the consumer".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-49412565

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Not sure how many meters there are, or what replacement cost per meter is, but we are looking at £4.75 a year increase.

If cissolts figures are correct, and that is a quote from the good doctor, then it costs £364 to instal one smart meter and the increase will raise £237,500 annually, which is 653 meters. At that rate replacement will take 77 years.

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

The smart meters are paid for by borrowing, so a fair amount I would say.

Remember though that the smart meters are replacing old meters that are passed their sell by date and also they won't need to manually read meters any more. So there would have been a cost in fitting non smart meters.

There will still be an extra cost though.

As the resident MU expert are these smart meters worth the investment & are MU progressing with the right smart meter system?

30 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

As the resident MU expert are these smart meters worth the investment & are MU progressing with the right smart meter system?

I am not an expert on smart meters. However I do know that everyone is fitting them now. I am not suspicious of them, I have had one before. They have been rolling them out all over the world for years. It would be crazy not to.

Personally I would have thought they could do it piecemeal and replace as needed but I guess the good thing about doing the lot all at once is that they wont need to change any for at least 10years.

It says it's a 4 years programme on the website but doesnt say when it started or if it's on track.

32 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I guess the good thing about doing the lot all at once is that they wont need to change any for at least 10years.

Assuming the Chinese crap they're fitting is good for ten years and isn't going to light your house up in a ball of flames in the meantime. The smart meter roll out across certainly hasn't been without incident.

I worked on a new build recently and was surprised when MU turned up and fitted a conventional meter, presumably with typical government efficiency they're going to come back in a couple of months and replace it.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Assuming the Chinese crap they're fitting is good for ten years and isn't going to light your house up in a ball of flames in the meantime. The smart meter roll out across certainly hasn't been without incident.

I worked on a new build recently and was surprised when MU turned up and fitted a conventional meter, presumably with typical government efficiency they're going to come back in a couple of months and replace it.

Bless 😥

If the life span of a meter is only 10 years, and given the age of anyone reading this, everyone here must have had their meter changed multiple times.

At 10 years, some will have expired before the complete replacement process is finished.

The Forth Bridge all over again.

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

If the life span of a meter is only 10 years, and given the age of anyone reading this, everyone here must have had their meter changed multiple times.

At 10 years, some will have expired before the complete replacement process is finished.

The Forth Bridge all over again.

The life span is the same as an old fashioned meter

The lifespan of a meter is 10 to 30 years, depending on the meter type. So, as your meter reaches the end of its lifespan, you'll be contacted by your energy supplier to take appropriate action. Read on to learn more about what your business can do when your energy meter reaches its certification date.

8 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Assuming the Chinese crap they're fitting is good for ten years and isn't going to light your house up in a ball of flames in the meantime.

Though you get a hidden 5% discount if you use your mother's maiden name, faceplop password, or bank details as a password.

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

The life span is the same as an old fashioned meter

The lifespan of a meter is 10 to 30 years, depending on the meter type. So, as your meter reaches the end of its lifespan, you'll be contacted by your energy supplier to take appropriate action. Read on to learn more about what your business can do when your energy meter reaches its certification date.

If you're cutting and pasting it's usually polite to link to your source so we actually can "Read on". [Insert placatory smiley]

In any case from what I've read elsewhere modern smart meters seem to have a life of 10 years or so, while older analogue ones were generally longer lasting, maybe 20-30 years, these will need changing more often.

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Though you get a hidden 5% discount if you use your mother's maiden name, faceplop password, or bank details as a password.

I thought hard about finding a password that I would associate with electricity and my billing.

I decided on, "Allan-Bell".

• Haha 2