Manx Utilities announce plans for onshore renewables

Mann O Mann

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

If you're cutting and pasting it's usually polite to link to your source so we actually can "Read on". [Insert placatory smiley]

In any case from what I've read elsewhere modern smart meters seem to have a life of 10 years or so, while older analogue ones were generally longer lasting, maybe 20-30 years, these will need changing more often.

Fair comment @Roger Mexico

It's actually very difficult to find information about life span and a lot of it is contradictory.

It seems that after 10 years the battery needs replacing. I'm not sure if they can be switched out ie recycled and reused or not.

It also seems that ofgen now recommend the old mechanical meters are only certified for 10 years but I can only find this on non ofgen sites so it might be nonsense or even an excuse given by outfits that sell smart meters

Maybe something in here. But I can only find that it's UK policy to transition to smart meters

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/2011/12/roma-final-decision.pdf

There is a discussion on here but I cannot validate the views or information.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6352119/electricity-meter-lifespan-before-replacement-due

I'll keep digging

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Fair comment @Roger Mexico

It's actually very difficult to find information about life span and a lot of it is contradictory.

It seems that after 10 years the battery needs replacing. I'm not sure if they can be switched out ie recycled and reused or not.

It also seems that ofgen now recommend the old mechanical meters are only certified for 10 years but I can only find this on non ofgen sites so it might be nonsense or even an excuse given by outfits that sell smart meters

Maybe something in here. But I can only find that it's UK policy to transition to smart meters

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/2011/12/roma-final-decision.pdf

There is a discussion on here but I cannot validate the views or information.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6352119/electricity-meter-lifespan-before-replacement-due

I'll keep digging

I do know the house meter in my mothers DBC house was changed out for a smart meter had been in for 40 years, as I remember it being installed after they took the shilling meter out and yes I would of been aware if it had been changed in-between.

43 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I do know the house meter in my mothers DBC house was changed out for a smart meter had been in for 40 years, as I remember it being installed after they took the shilling meter out and yes I would of been aware if it had been changed in-between.

I’ve been here 20 years. Meter not changed in that time. House was 9 years old when I bought, so suspect meter is coming up to 30.

When I lived in Castletown  my meter was the original one installed when electricity reached the house in the mid to late 1930’s ( IoMEB was set up in 1932 and started supplying electricity outside Douglas in 1935 ).

In 1992 I had a fire in the meter box in the kitchen caused by water seeping through the cables leading to the mains fuse from the nearest pylon. The cables were cloth coated inside the rubber which had perished. The connection wires were replaced by MEA but not the meter. MEA employee doing work said it was the oldest meter he’d seen for several years. At least 50 years old.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’ve been here 20 years. Meter not changed in that time. House was 9 years old when I bought, so suspect meter is coming up to 30.

When I lived in Castletown  my meter was the original one installed when electricity reached the house in the mid to late 1930’s ( IoMEB was set up in 1932 and started supplying electricity outside Douglas in 1935 ).

In 1992 I had a fire in the meter box in the kitchen caused by water seeping through the cables leading to the mains fuse from the nearest pylon. The cables were cloth coated inside the rubber which had perished. The connection wires were replaced by MEA but not the meter. MEA employee doing work said it was the oldest meter he’d seen for several years. At least 50 years old.

50 is not old. It's the new 40.

• Haha 2

Modern stuff of any nature, but particularly involving electronics, is not noted or even designed or built for longevity. It is all part of the consumerist economy, if it's built to last, it doesn't need replacing.

Buy it, use it, throw it away. Chinese manufacturing in particular has identified and cornered the market of our "ideal".

15 hours ago, Happier diner said:

The life span is the same as an old fashioned meter

The lifespan of a meter is 10 to 30 years, depending on the meter type. So, as your meter reaches the end of its lifespan, you'll be contacted by your energy supplier to take appropriate action. Read on to learn more about what your business can do when your energy meter reaches its certification date.

The lifespan of the meter is not the limiting factors, it's the current use of 2g/3g mobile networks that will determine it's life.  In the case of the current meters it's 3g.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

The lifespan of the meter is not the limiting factors, it's the current use of 2g/3g mobile networks that will determine it's life.  In the case of the current meters it's 3g.

No it's not 3g. It's low power Lan.

@Andy Onchan you are liking a post that's completely incorrect. 

https://lora-alliance.org/about-lorawan/

Edited by Happier diner

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Who's operating this low power LAN on the Island? 

ETA: Who owns the licence?

I have no idea. But I know for sure they don't use 3G. I was going to say the DOI have a network but thought better as everyone would think I worked for the DOI

a bit of Google works wonders

https://www.manxutilities.im/smarter-living/about-smart-meters/#:~:text=Our%20smart%20meters%20will%20use,a%20thing%20of%20the%20past.

Edited by Happier diner

• 1 month later...