Manx Utilities announce plans for onshore renewables

Mann O Mann

Look on the bright side, could the backwash from these windmills be directed into a tube to propel passenger pods to England??? An alternative to the Monorail?

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Regarding Smart meters has the cost of installing them been written into the estimated cost of the complete job ?

I would have thought the cost of fitting them will be the biggest cost of the job. 

40 minutes ago, finlo said:

It was stated as no cost to the customer.

By Dr Alex Allinson. A man without finance qualifications (AFAIK).

Who's now in charge of the nation's finances.

A more accurate statement would have been, "at no more cost to the customer" than the £20M he was quoting at the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

So according to 3fm news a load of [them] have have got problems and customers are being asked to contact MEA.

The problem doesn't seem to be with the meters themselves, but the app that people use to top up prepayment meters, which isn't registering some recent payments.  Which isn't to say there aren't problems with the meters as in the UK, but we haven't been told.

I have heard that the cost of installation will be met through increases in standing charges, which is already happening next increase in April, I have no solid evidence of this but it seems likely that this is the case as  they have to raise the money somehow.    So even if you do not agree to have one you will still be paying for the whole operation.    Seems about right this is the way things usually turn out.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I have heard that the cost of installation will be met through increases in standing charges, which is already happening next increase in April, I have no solid evidence of this but it seems likely that this is the case as  they have to raise the money somehow.    So even if you do not agree to have one you will still be paying for the whole operation.    Seems about right this is the way things usually turn out.   

Someone has to pay. That is obvious. Now consider Allinson's statement that the consumer will not be charged - this was not an isolated comment in the press; there is also a YouTube interview with Moulton where Allinson says "The MUA will pick up the tab".

So I see there being only two possibilities here:

1. He is stupid

2. He is lying

Anyone got another possibility?

If the conversion/installation really was at no cost to the customers then it would have had to be paid for out of MUA reserves (which will still be coming from the consumer, ultimately).

Standing Charges will be rising to compensate partly (for the MUA) for the drop of cost in unit prices which they are effectively obliged to do with the fall in wholesale gas prices eventually filtering through.

But make no mistake, it's all about servicing the MEA debt which isn't going away any time soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2