Manx Utilities announce plans for onshore renewables

Mann O Mann

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

From Sky News this very morning. Not much virtue signalling going on in the Far East...maybe Daphne & Co could justify a trip out there to point out the error of their ways....

The dark blue bars are coal fired generation that has been decommissioned.

20240411_084015.jpg

That's because just an hour after building a Chinese coal fired power station you feel like you need to build another. 

• Haha 5

I've always found the attitude expressed above so defeatist. 

The adoption of anything new basically starts one person at a time. 

Change comes when people see and understand the benefits of a new technology. 

The UK actually has quite a good record of doing that. I realise all the moaners want to emphasize how shit everything is, but by understanding and adopting new technologies the UK is one of the most successful societies on earth. Putting energy usage on a sustainable footing has huge benefits and first mover advantage is a real thing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Most climate scientists agree this is not the first time that the planet has experienced global warming (after all, the sequence of ice age followed by warmer climate phases has occurred for hundreds of millions of years). What is unique is the speed at which the warming/ heating phase is taking place – a few decades as opposed to millions of years.

The man-made Industrial Revolution, which started in the 1800s, increased the amount of greenhouse gases pouring into the Earth’s atmosphere. These changes in the balance of gases are accelerating. ‘We’ may have already reached the point where climate/ weather destruction on a global scale is unstoppable. If Luddites had their way and had stopped technological progress in its tracks, and our American ‘cousins’ had left their oil undisturbed deep under the rich Texan soil, etc, etc, a large swath of humanity could be still riding horses and breathing clean air… Alas, that destiny wasn’t meant to be. Melting ice sheets are not a joke, nor are melting glaciers. These are global problems with global consequences. Assuming that it is probably too late to prevent climate change catastrophes without humanity as a whole drastically changing its life-styles, what can be practically done?

Clearly, whilst China is determined to keep burning billions of tonnes of coal annually, any other measures to reduce global warming will be essentially futile. That being said, the IOM should avail ourselves of what are still fledging ‘green economy’ opportunities. My concern is that most Governments have proven time and time again that when it comes to being able to comprehend the issues that they are required to deal with, they end up wasting huge amounts of taxpayers' money. The IOMG is a small ‘pond’ with limited supply of ‘intelligent’ fish. Hence, there is a risk that our Government/ MUA will be eaten for breakfast by smart ‘sharks’ (again), and this will have disastrous consequences for the IOM public and the IOM’s public finances.

We need ingenious superbly-executed projects – can we trust the IOMG to deliver them without bankrupting the nation?

1 hour ago, Chinahand said:

I've always found the attitude expressed above so defeatist. 

The adoption of anything new basically starts one person at a time. 

Change comes when people see and understand the benefits of a new technology. 

The UK actually has quite a good record of doing that. I realise all the moaners want to emphasize how shit everything is, but by understanding and adopting new technologies the UK is one of the most successful societies on earth. Putting energy usage on a sustainable footing has huge benefits and first mover advantage is a real thing. 

I have no aversion to change for the better. But that change needs to be proportionately applied and in a manner that does not bankrupt the national economy or the personal finances of those within that economy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, code99 said:

Most climate scientists agree this is not the first time that the planet has experienced global warming (after all, the sequence of ice age followed by warmer climate phases has occurred for hundreds of millions of years). What is unique is the speed at which the warming/ heating phase is taking place – a few decades as opposed to millions of years.

The man-made Industrial Revolution, which started in the 1800s, increased the amount of greenhouse gases pouring into the Earth’s atmosphere. These changes in the balance of gases are accelerating. ‘We’ may have already reached the point where climate/ weather destruction on a global scale is unstoppable. If Luddites had their way and had stopped technological progress in its tracks, and our American ‘cousins’ had left their oil undisturbed deep under the rich Texan soil, etc, etc, a large swath of humanity could be still riding horses and breathing clean air… Alas, that destiny wasn’t meant to be. Melting ice sheets are not a joke, nor are melting glaciers. These are global problems with global consequences. Assuming that it is probably too late to prevent climate change catastrophes without humanity as a whole drastically changing its life-styles, what can be practically done?

Clearly, whilst China is determined to keep burning billions of tonnes of coal annually, any other measures to reduce global warming will be essentially futile. That being said, the IOM should avail ourselves of what are still fledging ‘green economy’ opportunities. My concern is that most Governments have proven time and time again that when it comes to being able to comprehend the issues that they are required to deal with, they end up wasting huge amounts of taxpayers' money. The IOMG is a small ‘pond’ with limited supply of ‘intelligent’ fish. Hence, there is a risk that our Government/ MUA will be eaten for breakfast by smart ‘sharks’ (again), and this will have disastrous consequences for the IOM public and the IOM’s public finances.

We need ingenious superbly-executed projects – can we trust the IOMG to deliver them without bankrupting the nation?

Agree with most of that.  However there were a few phases of rapid global warming and cooling as the most recent ice age ended around 14,000 years ago when we entered our current climate phase.  These changes occurred over decades.  The difference however is that this warming was at the end of an ice age.  We are not currently in an ice age. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas

• Thanks 1

When are the windmills arriving ? They haven’t finished installing the Smart meters yet.    Let’s get one fantastic, expensive, idea out of the way before we embark on another cunning stunt.     I say sort out the sewerage problems in Laxey and Peel out pronto that is more important in my book.    I bet that 42 million is dwindling at a rate of knots.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

When are the windmills arriving ? They haven’t finished installing the Smart meters yet.    Let’s get one fantastic, expensive, idea out of the way before we embark on another cunning stunt.     I say sort out the sewerage problems in Laxey and Peel out pronto that is more important in my book.    I bet that 42 million is dwindling at a rate of knots.

The wind turbines do not have planning permission. 

40 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Knowing the way things are done they have probably been bought already and are lying somewhere, the Smart meters were hanging around for a good while before any action commenced.    

Take some hiding them bad boys. 

Even harder than a few thousand smart meters. Who makes this stuff up?

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2024 at 8:17 PM, Happier diner said:

Take some hiding them bad boys. 

Even harder than a few thousand smart meters. Who makes this stuff up?

On 4/12/2024 at 6:32 PM, Happier diner said:

The wind turbines do not have planning permission. 

You are Mike Proffitt and I claim my £5.00.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/former-mea-chief-exec-unveils-200m-wind-farm-plans/

• Confused 1