Manx Utilities announce plans for onshore renewables

Mann O Mann

9 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

I wonder which vowel they'll change this time once it all goes south and they need another bail out? MIA ?

It undoubtedly will be a total disaster, we're looking to jump in just as the brakes are being put on some UK wind farms claiming due to inflationary pressures they are no longer financially viable.

• Like 3

They have probably done a rough estimate and the cost is so prohibitive that they are using the drip, drip method so they cannot be accused of overspending.   On the other hand they may not have a clue and are just cracking on to show willing and leaving the subsequent fallout for the next administration to sort out as I doubt that many of the present incumbents will be voted in again.   

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

If these announced losses today are anything to go by then we need the wind farm up ASAP. Although MUA claim that with "adjustments" the loss is "only" £14M.

Another rise in charges coming in April though...

Screenshot_20240124-181659_Samsung Internet.jpg

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If these announced losses today are anything to go by then we need the wind farm up ASAP. Although MUA claim that with "adjustments" the loss is "only" £14M.

Another rise in charges coming in April though...

Screenshot_20240124-181659_Samsung Internet.jpg

The MUA debt really needs to be given more attention. It's virtually half a billion pounds and their accounts for last year forecast spending £55m just to service the debts. For an island of ~86,000 people that's absolutely insane. 

Unsure how this latest loss alters those figures. 

We expect Manx Gas/IEG to lower prices in line with falling wholesale prices - yet why do we allow MUA to plan an increase in prices when wholesale costs have fallen? 

I know it's because of the debt, but why do we allow that?

Edited by Hairy Poppins
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

The MUA debt really needs to be given more attention. It's virtually half a billion pounds and their accounts for last year forecast spending £55m just to service the debts. For an island of ~86,000 people that's absolutely insane. 

Unsure how this latest loss alters those figures. 

I thought it was claimed that some of this had been written off, leaving debt of @ £170M but I stand to be corrected. Either way, one rise in April is not going to cover losses of these sorts, there's going to have to be more hikes in the following months to keep on top of it. And what's it going to be like for consumers over winter 24/25? 🤦

As to why it's allowed when the gas wholesale price is falling; who's going to stop it? None of the nodding dogs in Tynwald will oppose it, they know full well that their predecessors got us into the position and there would appear to be little alternative that they can turn to.

Plus it suits the Tynwald dogma of just raising taxes rather than growing some balls to deal with MUA excess which might help a little if nothing else.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

I thought it was claimed that some of this had been written off, leaving debt of @ £170M but I stand to be corrected. Either way, one rise in April is not going to cover losses of these sorts, there's going to have to be more hikes in the following months to keep on top of it. And what's it going to be like for consumers over winter 24/25? 🤦

If I were a betting man I'd say an acceleration of business closures.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I could be totally wrong but that was my understanding of the debt level. 

Island residents will be having prices ramped up when UK bills will be falling by about 16% - and Comin will be scratching their collective heads wondering why economically active people don't want to move here. 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/jan/22/energy-bills-great-britain-fall-price-cap-cornwall-insight

ETA this was the debt figures I was thinking of - taken from the 2021/22 MUA report 

Screenshot_20240124_184625_OneDrive.jpg

Edited by Hairy Poppins
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I could be totally wrong but that was my understanding of the debt level. 

Island residents will be having prices ramped up when UK bills will be falling by about 16% - and Comin will be scratching their collective heads wondering why economically active people don't want to move here. 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/jan/22/energy-bills-great-britain-fall-price-cap-cornwall-insight

ETA this was the debt figures I was thinking of - taken from the 2021/22 MUA report 

Screenshot_20240124_184625_OneDrive.jpg

You're right, I was mistaken. The attached statement was made by Chris Thomas in March last year, it's horrifying.

Screenshot_20240124-184717_Gallery.jpg

I have an idea...

Stop obfuscation, delay and dithering and get drilling for the fucking gas!! 

If it flows, big, big win... 

If it doesn't no worse off than now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8