Manx Utilities announce plans for onshore renewables

Mann O Mann

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

There is no free electricity. The capital cost of the windfarm and the solar panels has to be paid and the infrastructure has to be maintained. 

The difference between wind energy and gas derived energy from turbines is that the fuel is free on a wind turbine. That could make it about 50% of the cost.

Will bills reduce? Well not in our lifetime as the power station isn't paid for yet and we need to invest in at least 1 new interconnector.

Does that make wind energy a poor choice? Personally I don't think so but the margins are right. 

Where does the base load come from in your plan? How much do you think the cost for a new power station, interconnector, solar and storage will be?  £4.5 billion according to the energy strategy.

Bills will double and then some.  More businesses will shutdown and come the next election I would anticipate an anti green agenda being very popular.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Where does the base load come from in your plan? How much do you think the cost for a new power station, interconnector, solar and storage will be?  £4.5 billion according to the energy strategy.

Bills will double and then some.  More businesses will shutdown and come the next election I would anticipate an anti green agenda being very popular.  

How do people imagine the island is going to fund £4.5bn of infrastructure? The only way that could happen is if Crogga hit a motherlode of gas.

Then add on ~£500m of existing debt at a cost of £55m+ a year in servicing. 

Our bills are already some of the highest in Europe and are increasing further in April when the UK is seeing a decent reduction. 

It would be a brilliant way to literally kneecap the island's economy. 

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Presumably, we'll be burying ours at the Ayres ....? 🤭

Screenshot_20240125-232903_Samsung Internet.jpg

I get it that the blades cant be recycled (Not convinced) but if they don't degrade, then what is the harm of putting them underground?

I am not convinced they cant be re used anyway. From what I understand they are a mixture of glass fibre and resin.

Shred them, and add more resin and they could be cast into any weather resistant bit of kit from patio furniture to, well patio furniture.

Anything really that is not structurally critical.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

I get it that the blades cant be recycled (Not convinced) but if they don't degrade, then what is the harm of putting them underground?

I am not convinced they cant be re used anyway. From what I understand they are a mixture of glass fibre and resin.

Shred them, and add more resin and they could be cast into any weather resistant bit of kit from patio furniture to, well patio furniture.

What happens to old boats made of fibre glass?

22 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Why aren't they doing that already then?

24 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Why aren't they doing that already then?

They must be somewhere

But pictures of them being buried looks better for the climate crisis deniers. Trump and his red neck "Base"

Plus a shredder that could take, wind turbine blade size stuff, would be a pretty pricey bit of kit, so cheaper to bury it.

Edited by Blade Runner

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Were the blades in these photos ever used? Over production perhaps???

Have you ever seen the pictures of thousands of old airplanes sitting in the American Deserts?

Should we stop flying?

Well yes, but that was not the point I was making  🙂

3 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Maybe start building a reef towards the UK and make a start on the bridge/causeway.

Now China has stopped taking the rest of the worlds waste, maybe the island could start taking up the slack.

Start with wind turbine blades and then expand to taking really bad chemicals like the ones that already go onto Peel Beach from the old mine workings........

You do need to pay them CS and PS Pensions some way.....