Manx Utilities announce plans for onshore renewables

Mann O Mann

3 hours ago, cissolt said:

Where does the base load come from in your plan? How much do you think the cost for a new power station, interconnector, solar and storage will be?  £4.5 billion according to the energy strategy.

That's not the cost of a "power station, interconnector, solar and storage", it's the cost of total generation (capital and operational inc fuel/other dispatchable generation costs)

In the same way we are spending £50m gas + whatever in bought in electric + whatever depreciated capital currently 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cissolt said:

Where does the base load come from in your plan? How much do you think the cost for a new power station, interconnector, solar and storage will be?  £4.5 billion according to the energy strategy.

Bills will double and then some.  More businesses will shutdown and come the next election I would anticipate an anti green agenda being very popular.  

What plan? I have no idea what you are on about. There is a power station to provide the base load. There will always have to be one. Either that or 2 interconnectors. 

Whu don't you read what I wrote rather than what you think I wrote. 

Just now, Blade Runner said:

Now China has stopped taking the rest of the worlds waste, maybe the island could start taking up the slack.

Start with wind turbine blades and then expand to taking really bad chemicals like the ones that already go onto Peel Beach from the old mine workings........

You do need to pay them CS and PS Pensions some way.....

There is a very convenient sea trench not far of our coast that'd be really handy... Do the 'Great Escape' routine and lose a few containers here or there when it's a bit rough. It'd add up over a decade or two. Nice little earner. After all whats good for the dumping of armaments is good for other toxic crud. Not as if you'd be wrecking a UNESCO biosphere site.

Not to mention there a few sites out in the Atlantic with barrels of filled with concrete encased radioactive waste.

Just for God's sake don't let Saint Bill MBE catch you !

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Now China has stopped taking the rest of the worlds waste, maybe the island could start taking up the slack.

Start with wind turbine blades and then expand to taking really bad chemicals like the ones that already go onto Peel Beach from the old mine workings........

You do need to pay them CS and PS Pensions some way.....

I think at one time we did take others toxic waste?

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not researched it, but is there a case for food waste collection which I believe ilcan be turned into fuel pellets? 

We don't have the plant to do it, but surely this is an option worth checking? 

The excess food would be better used to feed our impoverished of which there are many.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not researched it, but is there a case for food waste collection which I believe can be turned into fuel pellets? 

We don't have the plant to do it, but surely this is an option worth checking? 

If you are talking about burning it then that is not good. Carbons and all that

If you are talking about eating it? Maybe animals could? But they fart and burp and that is not good either.

Better sticking with really toxic waste and pouring it down Rushen mines.

1 minute ago, Blade Runner said:

If you are talking about burning it then that is not good. Carbons and all that

If you are talking about eating it? Maybe animals could? But they fart and burp and that is not good either.

Better sticking with really toxic waste and pouring it down Rushen mines.

It went into landfill at the Point of ayre under the cover of darkness actually!

In various supermarkets there are always same date products getting offered, what happens to them  at closing time if they are still on the shelves.    I think they are dumped and this has got to be the biggest food waste going.    I think the small plate restaurants are on the right track and hopefully more will follow suit .

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

For perspective it's around 20kg of turbine waste per house per year (assuming a house fully powered by wind, obviously less if not), so not exactly in the same league as weekly bin collections in terms of impact

2 hours ago, finlo said:

The excess food would be better used to feed our impoverished of which there are many.

The food waste I am thinking of is the domestic waste from food preparation and left overs from meals.  Not food that is bought and never used, which would be better going to those who need it.  

In days gone past, schools and other big institutions used to have bins for pig swill.  Probably not acceptable now, but that is what I am thinking off, not fresh food. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

The food waste I am thinking of is the domestic waste from food preparation and left overs from meals.  Not food that is bought and never used, which would be better going to those who need it.  

In days gone past, schools and other big institutions used to have bins for pig swill.  Probably not acceptable now, but that is what I am thinking off, not fresh food. 

Point taken.

16 minutes ago, finlo said:

Also the point you make about pig swill etc for many years animal feeds have to conform to higher standards than those for human consumption.

BSE (or was it  CJD) probably proved that point. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Thanks 1