Is the Isle of Man Government becoming despotic?

Boo Gay'n

I neither bear a false name nor bear false witness. Despotic, from despot, which in turn comes from the Greek despotēs meaning master, absolute ruler. That will be the AntiChrist in a matter of a few years time. All of today’s current world leaders/governments are no comparison to what he will do.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It’s too quick for the enquiry chair to have said that about Paul. That statement/update will have been a while in the drafting.

They are related in time, but that doesn’t mean there’s a causal link.

Your experience is in law - which is always serious stuff. My experience is just in run-of-the-mill documentation.

Brunner will have a great deal of experience in this area, and I do not see anything in that paragraph other than a piece of copy-paste-modify - there is no original work there.

Maybe legal documents take weeks to issue, but in my experience, last-moment changes before publication can happen.

Although the report publication is close to the time the Moulton letter became knowledge, I assume that Brunner is not working in a vacuum. It would not surprise me to know that she, in some way or another, became aware of the gov.'s intention.

There is still the remaining question - why was that statement made and why at this time? Just by chance is not a justification.

No response is required.

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

The government really ought not to use NDA. It’s no better than cease & desist or SLAPP

In some ways it can be even worse in this situation.  It's not just that the public are forbidden from knowing what has happened and what has been done with public money, as might be the case with C&D and SLAPP.  There's also the effect of NDAs that, depending on the terms, someone may be unable to defend themself or explain their actions - possibly even forbidden about talking about what happened to closest family.  When such agreements are effectively imposed under duress they can be an additional burden to someone possibly already psychologically damaged by the process.

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Brunner starts throwing her weight around, knowing that the gov. is going to give her an Arkell v. Pressdram (thanks to RM) - I doubt that is going to do much for her reputation.

On the contrary, if you think about it lawyers, especially barristers, are people who spend their time getting into fights, though usually on behalf of clients.  So it's not wise to pick a fight with one, especially one so eminent, and if IOMG think they will be able to tell her (ahem) go away if she doesn't do their bidding, it won't just look bad on the Island.

• Like 3

Just catching up on this, been off-island. Is this a summary ...

Hooper's department have slapped a cease and desist order on a journalist. But that's not impacting the freedom of the press because he isn't really a journalist and Hooper's going to look to having his accreditation to Tynwald removed.  Meanwhile, Health Services Consultative Committee, set up to scrutinise Hooper's department is "unlawful" after realising a critical report. 

How is he still a minister?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On page 16 of the HSCC report is the statement (referring to scope):

"This approach has Ministerial support, confirmed in January 2023"

This is the sentence Hooper refers to (I think).

There is no footnote pointing to the relevant document. Obviously, RM is not a member of the committee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Just catching up on this, been off-island. Is this a summary ...

Hooper's department have slapped a cease and desist order on a journalist. But that's not impacting the freedom of the press because he isn't really a journalist and Hooper's going to look to having his accreditation to Tynwald removed.  Meanwhile, Health Services Consultative Committee, set up to scrutinise Hooper's department is "unlawful" after realising a critical report. 

How is he still a minister?

The only thing you missed is the spiel on his LibVan page about him being an open and transparent member in all of his dealings.

Apart from that, I think you got everything else covered.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

And yet Hooper alleges that they are not following 'the laws' as laid down by Ministerial process?

In the interview, Hooper says that he did not give approval, which is why I went looking for the source - and did not find it. It is a little deficient of the Committee not to provide references to such claims.

Lest you feel I am supportive of Hooper, his claims of errors are meaningless until he details them. The interviewer should have given him a put-up-or-shut-up. Preferably less politely.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

On page 16 of the HSCC report is the statement (referring to scope):

"This approach has Ministerial support, confirmed in January 2023"

This is the sentence Hooper refers to (I think).

There is no footnote pointing to the relevant document. Obviously, RM is not a member of the committee.

Given the people on that Committee[1] are the sort that will have checked all their references, you can bet that they will have all the documentation held in reserve and are even now muttering "Ah Mr Hooper, you have fallen into our little trap".  The fact that they quoted the date is a giveaway, I'm just surprised that Hooper was stupid enough to identify what he thought was untrue rather than keep to unspecific accusations.  

[1]  I notice that two current members plus the recently retired Chair who gave the interview, are all former Heads or Deputy Heads of Ramsey Grammar School.  Maybe Hooper was getting traumatic memories.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

The only thing you missed is the spiel on his LibVan page about him being an open and transparent member in all of his dealings.

Apart from that, I think you got everything else covered.

All you need to know about the liberal, transparent, or even Manx, credentials of Lib Van is that Walter Gilbey and Dick Horsnell were founding member supporters, and advisers to PK, and that they recently stood Josem as a candidate.

• Like 2