Is the Isle of Man Government becoming despotic?

Boo Gay'n

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

I'm not sure but I think a 'slapp' has to refer to a particular situation. There may be ways around this if other media report it? BBC anyone there?

Moulton could appeal to Alf to lift this order or threat, if Alf has nothing personal involved, he can just hang the proponents out to dry!!!

(Replying on more relevant topic).  The trouble with SLAPPs is that once one is issued, the accusers can just repeat against other media outlets - or even against non-media people.  It's against public participation not just press.  So they they tend to have an suppressive effect on all discussion on the topic - which is what their aim is.

One interesting question here is who is actually paying for any action being taken by the three CEOs?  If it's the government, should they be using our money to threaten action on behalf of civil servants?  If not were the three wise to use the same legal firm that has been doing so much work for the DHSC on the this issue?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

(Replying on more relevant topic).  The trouble with SLAPPs is that once one is issued, the accusers can just repeat against other media outlets - or even against non-media people.  It's against public participation not just press.  So they they tend to have an suppressive effect on all discussion on the topic - which is what their aim is.

One interesting question here is who is actually paying for any action being taken by the three CEOs?  If it's the government, should they be using our money to threaten action on behalf of civil servants?  If not were the three wise to use the same legal firm that has been doing so much work for the DHSC on the this issue?

Acting within role - support: acting in personal capacity - do not support.  That would be the binary analysis, but I suspect that things are rather more blurred.

Edited by Boo Gay'n
typo

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Good point.  The letter mentions Randal as being CFO at the time of whatever Paul referred to in his email, I presume it's related to the three CEOs blocking Dr Ransons video being presented to the public.  Is the AG conflicted due to it being Ranson related?

4 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Acting within role - support: acting in personal capacity - do not support.  That would be the binary analysis, but I suspect that things are rather more blurred.

I'm not even sure that acting within role would be a valid reason.  Especially when the wisdom and even the legality of actions taken are currently the subject of an official inquiry.  The head of which has just made it clear that she will not take kindly to any attempts to suppress discussion with lawyers letters.

What they are objecting to is apparently something in a private email about a past event, so they can hardly claim that such allegations would somehow affect the current running of good government.  Call me old-fashioned, but I don't believe public money should be used to fund private quarrels.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, english zloty said:

fair play to Paul - quite amazed at government behaviors. Except I'm not, because sadly this is the same old

The difference this time is it's out in the public.  Good on Paul for fighting it and putting the ball back in the CEOs court.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cissolt said:

The difference this time is it's out in the public.  Good on Paul for fighting it and putting the ball back in the CEOs court.

I notice he hasn’t publicly repeated the claims though. He’s still not being up front on what he claims he has “substantiative” evidence of. 

A Western democracy that threatens to slap a gagging order to suppress 'a bloke with a camera’, presumably because he has submitted uncomfortable FOI requests, is a regime which deserves to be treated with public contempt and derision. If he, the only independent journalist we have, is legally silenced then we may not be very far away from having a publicly unaccountable administration. These heavy-handed actions evoke chilling parallels with Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four (incidentally, the book is presently banned in some Republican States in America – too ‘woke’, apparently). Anybody, who blissfully assumes that our press freedoms are safe, needs to reflect on what Paul is trying to express/explain. Surely, our democratically elected peoples’ representatives must sound the alarm…?

Edited by code99
typo
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I notice he hasn’t publicly repeated the claims though. He’s still not being up front on what he claims he has “substantiative” evidence of. 

Because that's not what this is immediately about.  It's not the details of any claim, it's about the way that the government are handling Moulton's investigation of it, in particular the way three civil servants, Cannan and Hooper have behaved.

(Of course running around screaming "There's nothing to see here, there's nothing to see here!" is always a sure way of attracting attention, so if nothing else it proves this lot are as dumb as rocks and makes everyone presume that whatever Moulton will say will turn out to be true). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@1:24 so later on Mr Hooper deleted all of
@1:28 those disparaging tweets

@2:47 for instance on Monday the chief
minister of the Isle of Man Mr Cannon
wrote to all Tynwald members stating
categorically that I defamed three
senior civil servants and saying in his
words that I'm conducting my own covid
inquiry acting as judge jury and
executioner when it comes to senior
civil servants

3:11 he also went on to say for the purpose
of clarity that the slap was an officer
decision taken under delegated powers
it was not a political decision to send
this letter however it carries with it
his support and any future actions
regarding this particular matter is
likely to have his sign off

Does anyone understand the meaning of this re: delegated/political?

7:53 I acknowledge that me publishing and
investing a story about the events
between the 13th and the 16th of March
2020 might deter those with something to

What were the events that happened between those dates?

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

(Of course running around screaming "There's nothing to see here, there's nothing to see here!" is always a sure way of attracting attention, so if nothing else it proves this lot are as dumb as rocks and makes everyone presume that whatever Moulton will say will turn out to be true). 

Well that’s my point. They’re all running round like headless chickens banging legal letters on people and writing to Tynwald members and nobody really seems to know what it’s all about. But by doing exactly that they are adding weight to whatever it is, even if it’s ultimately very little and just the usual IOM CS communication clusterfuck train wreck. It would be good if either side could actually say what it’s all about. 

All this nonsense shows CM Cannans priorities. Image, bullshit, reputation, bullshit, waffle ………. Meanwhile none of the issues are getting addressed. Paul Moulton/IOMTV I hope wins and utterly humiliates all of them, but even then the mess the island is in won’t get better. It’s an absolute shit show, a constant daily soap opera headed by CM Cannan supported by a cast of idiots including highly rewarded unaccountable civil servants. 

It seems that Paul Moulton is IOMG most hated person, and I’m sure IOMG will do everything in their power, regardless of the cost (monetary/reputational) to either shut him up, damage his career or eliminate any business opportunities. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 5