Is the Isle of Man Government becoming despotic?

Boo Gay'n

2 hours ago, Weliveinhope said:

Does the Governor hold any power over government? If there is such a thing as a vote of no confidence it would be pointless being put forward via the MHK route. This is another area where our 'government of unity' seeks purely to protect itself. Is there any recourse at all or are we stuck like this until the next election?

To the next election and way beyond until we rid ourselves of the ministerial system, the council of ministers and the cabinet office

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

He's not a fool, but he has a lot of learning to do re his presentation etc. Sometimes it feels as though hes Robertshaw's fall guy, given the way he often cuts him down - which isnt professional. These arent live broadcasts, so theres ample opportunity for there to be a more polished presentation and for Robertshaw not to constantly correct him.

Limited experience of him to be honest but it's certainly how he's come across whenever I have seen him on screen.

I don't watch his current channel though, so possibly not a fair observation.

3 hours ago, 0bserver said:

This potentially has heinous shades of the persecution of the late Roly Drower. 

Ahhh Roly,for those who aren't aware. 

Government are quite hard work to deal with, some departments are really efficient and helpful - others? Brick wall chats would be more productive. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Limited experience of him to be honest but it's certainly how he's come across whenever I have seen him on screen.

I don't watch his current channel though, so possibly not a fair observation.

He is the best the island has, he isn’t perfect and he is quite prepared to stick his head out. I would imagine lawyers letters are going to spur him on, whether it’s good or bad for him. I follow his IOMTV on Facebook. Whilst some may criticise how he comes across on screen, I would say that his local journalism experience and NPM experience as both presenter and news, he is well qualified to comment. No doubt he knows a lot of gossip that he won’t divulge, even off the record. 

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, 2112 said:

He is the best the island has, he isn’t perfect and he is quite prepared to stick his head out. I would imagine lawyers letters are going to spur him on, whether it’s good or bad for him. I follow his IOMTV on Facebook. Whilst some may criticise how he comes across on screen, I would say that his local journalism experience and NPM experience as both presenter and news, he is well qualified to comment. No doubt he knows a lot of gossip that he won’t divulge, even off the record. 

There are a lot of things on the Isle of Man that are the best we have but still not great. 

Not saying that as a criticism of Paul but it's hardly a ringing endorsement for anything here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

There are a lot of things on the Isle of Man that are the best we have but still not great. 

Not saying that as a criticism of Paul but it's hardly a ringing endorsement for anything here.

Sadly you are right. What I would say though that whilst IOMTV has an element of chumminess with the politicos, they use him and he uses them to mutual advantage, I doubt he will upset things to much. However I think if he is being targeted by lawyers to shut him up, then I would imagine he will be prepared to risk everything for what he believes in. Whether it’s wise or foolish is another matter. 

• Like 1

Taxpayers money once again being used in procedure to defend CS culture and actions which well may prove to have been flawed. They really are a detached planet of arrogance. A bit like the original Ranson case, that worked well didn't it?

The fact that they've resorted to this is a good indicator IMHO that there's something to hide that Davies and his four mates would rather didn't come out and they know that Moulton is onto it. How long do they think they can stave this off and at what expense (though the latter won't bother them a jot)?

Who's going to muck in to crowd fund Moulton? 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2