Is the Isle of Man Government becoming despotic?

Boo Gay'n

On 8/1/2023 at 9:12 PM, Gladys said:

The biggest fail, IMHO, was that there was no emergency plan that was on the shelf, or if there was, it was never taken off the shelf to even think how it could be implemented.  There must have been something from the Cold War when we were all going to be nuked, surely? 

Those were my thoughts at the time Glad, on hearing for the first time that there are/were plans on the Shelf.

In fact I asked the missus (She of all things Manxness), "do you think there are plans on the shelf to deal with something like COVID?" . "Not a cat in hells chance, don't be so daft. This is the IOM. Now eat yer tea!".

• Haha 4

On 8/1/2023 at 9:12 PM, Gladys said:

The biggest fail, IMHO, was that there was no emergency plan that was on the shelf, or if there was, it was never taken off the shelf to even think how it could be implemented. 

One of my favourite memories was the "triage" unit set up at Nobles to weed out the Covid patients before they got as far as the hospital.

It was quite obviously an old site office/ canteen/ drying room from Manx Utilities and still had the dirt/ name on the outside and an extension cable leading to some power supply.

That is the PROOF that there was ZERO emergency plans in place.

If there was a "plan"  there should have been, at least, a brand new trailer/ office purposed for triage.

4 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Those were my thoughts at the time Glad, on hearing for the first time that there are/were plans on the Shelf.

In fact I asked the missus (She of all things Manxness), "do you think there are plans on the shelf to deal with something like COVID?" . "Not a cat in hells chance, don't be so daft. This is the IOM. Now eat yer tea!".

There was an emergency plan, they even had test exercises for said plans.  Why they didn't use the plan  was questioned during the pac hearings, nobody could really explain why.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/pandemic-flu-planning/

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, cissolt said:

There was an emergency plan, they even had test exercises for said plans.  Why they didn't use the plan  was questioned during the pac hearings, nobody could really explain why.

Thanks Cissolt.  All governments around the world were saying how Covid was such a new phenomenon that no one had written the handbook. Well , they had, whether it was a pandemic, earthquake, terrorist attack, major outage of power, etc.   The "handbook" may not have dealt with the specifics of Covid, but it would have given the headline areas to look at.  

In practice, no one looked at it, adapted it to cover the main areas - hospital, continued supplies, identifying who was key to keep in place and operational, who was to be on the emergency response team, and so on.  What we had was a rabbit like response to headlights, a freeze then scampering away.  

IMHO, I suspect what happened was that closing the borders at very short notice without a plan how to deal with the knock on effects was unthinkable.  Much better to follow the UK in delay which would buy time to think about how best to deal with the consequences of closing the borders. 

In a way, you can't blame them, except this was a brewing issue since January/February 2020, and that was the time to take the plan off the shelf and adapt it. 

@The Phantom the lack of a polished triage facility isn't indicative of a lack of a plan, quite the reverse.  What was available was quickly turned into something usable, even if basic.  The testing hub at the Grandstand was a perfect response.  It used what was already there with minimal preparation whilst 'doing the job'. 

However, the time and money spent on the vaccine hubs is a different matter.

30 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Really?

image.png.189407eb36b8fa7a511c8aceb0acba03.png

That looks like an old MUA trailer to me with a sticker on it.

2 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Really?

image.png.189407eb36b8fa7a511c8aceb0acba03.png

That looks like an old MUA trailer to me with a sticker on it.

What is wrong with that?  Surely you don't expect every facility required for every emergency is kept in a warehouse somewhere? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What is wrong with that?  Surely you don't expect every facility required for every emergency is kept in a warehouse somewhere? 

It is a dirty old site cabin.

How hard would it be to have a brand new triage unit setup ready for such things at a cost of say £30K- £45k? Parked in one of the governments warehouse's?

It would work for all highly contagious emergencies.

That trailer in the picture was far, far from being clinically clean- it could not be sterile or even close, due to its original purpose and therefore unsuitable floor, wall and ceiling surfaces. Totally unsuitable for triage.

Ask your doctor if you don't believe me.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

It is a dirty old site cabin.

How hard would it be to have a brand new triage unit setup ready for such things at a cost of say £30K- £45k? Parked in one of the governments warehouse's?

It would work for all highly contagious emergencies.

That trailer in the picture was far, far from being clinically clean- it could not be sterile or even close, due to its original purpose and therefore unsuitable floor, wall and ceiling surfaces. Totally unsuitable for triage.

Ask your doctor if you don't believe me.

I don't disbelieve you, just wonder if it was thought of as better than nothing.  The problem  I suppose, with having a triage unit on standby, forever needing updates and maintenance. 

Not the biggest issue, IMHO. 

• Like 1

Just listening to Paul Moulton latest report on YouTube especially the lack of media reporting by other media outlets which made me wonder why Manx Radio don’t report as much as Paul, especially on this subject? 

IOM TV Link - 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

Just listening to Paul Moulton latest report on YouTube especially the lack of media reporting by other media outlets which made me wonder why Manx Radio don’t report as much as Paul, especially on this subject? 

IOM TV Link - 

Craven lickspittles

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Last Ten said:

IOM TV Link - 

Dan Davies is husband of Manx Radio's golden girl. That's about it

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Barlow said:

Dan Davies is husband of Manx Radio's golden girl. That's about it

That would be Beth Espey. If she ever conducts a radio interview with a politician, does she start each interview with the words "I have a conflict of interest"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1